Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 PM

64 posts, read 152,936 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to be there Monday, May 1, till Tuesday, May 2. I'll just be driving the 15 miles (or whatever) of the park road that's accessible to cars. Will I have to pay the $10/person park fee?

I know that Denali Visitor Center is not open, but there is another center across the road that is. It's not worth it to pay a fee just to drive the 15 miles into the park, and I couldn't take the bus if I wanted to.

localtraveler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times
Monday is May 2nd. There is an entrance fee for the park that needs to be paid at the winter visitor center. The road is open to mile 30 now.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:19 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
$10 is the entrance fee. Pretty cheap if you ask me. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/fees.htm

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Save your $$

Just look how they turned that majestic area into the chit bag it is today with a zillion regulators, range Rick behind every bush and a damn hotel on the hill. Those cute little cabins at the turnouts with all that made in China souvenir junk ... just absolutely perfect!

Back in the day when it was a dirt road you could flag down the train and ride to town, hike, drive the roads and everything and it never did get destroyed until the hugger's and do-gooders took control .... just think what they could do it they had a $20 entrance fee ... yikes!

Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Save your $$

Just look how they turned that majestic area into the chit bag it is today with a zillion regulators, range Rick behind every bush and a damn hotel on the hill. Those cute little cabins at the turnouts with all that made in China souvenir junk ... just absolutely perfect!

Back in the day when it was a dirt road you could flag down the train and ride to town, hike, drive the roads and everything and it never did get destroyed until the hugger's and do-gooders took control .... just think what they could do it they had a $20 entrance fee ... yikes!
lol, okay. The park road has been closed to most traffic since the early 70s. Given how many visitors there are to Denali in a year now, if even a fraction of them were taking private vehicles through the park there's no way those tenuous roads would hold up. They'd need a lot more than a $20 entrance fee to maintain a safe roadway through those high passes. That's not even thinking of the impact on wildlife.

The park is still wide open to all and the vast majority of is has no infrastructure, you just have to access it most of it with your own legs, or by flagging down a shuttle, not from the comfort of your air-conditioned vehicle.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Save your $$

Ummmm... Are you talking about Denali National Park or the Parks Highway through Glitter Gulch? There's no "hotel on the hill" or cabins with souvenirs in the National Park itself. There's plenty of that stuff out on the highway. And past mile 15, the park road is still a dirt road.
If all you ever saw of Denali National Park was the crap near the entrance, then it's like going to Disneyland and never going further than the parking lot.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times
Quote:
Save your $$

We are talking about Denali, not Yellowstone.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Quote:
The Hurricane Turn train between Talkeetna and Hurricane still allows for flagging down the train. Many people live remotely along that area and depend on it for getting to town for supplies.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localtraveler View Post
I'm planning to be there Monday, May 1, till Tuesday, May 2. I'll just be driving the 15 miles (or whatever) of the park road that's accessible to cars. Will I have to pay the $10/person park fee?

I know that Denali Visitor Center is not open, but there is another center across the road that is. It's not worth it to pay a fee just to drive the 15 miles into the park, and I couldn't take the bus if I wanted to.

localtraveler
If it's not worth it to you, save your $10 for something that is. Or you can cry to the people at the entrance that the Park isn't worth it and see if they'll take pity on you and let you in for free. Fat chance. No one here can help you with your fee, though. Personally, if I couldn't afford $10 to go into the Park, I'd stay home and watch the Discovery Channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska