U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:06 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,136,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm confused. Is this really C-D? Someone is actually posting here asking about the drive up on the AlCan in winter who doesn't plan on driving a tin can with bald tires?
"Hi I drive a roller skate car with bald summer tires. I have no money and no job. I'm going to ask for you all's opinion about driving my roller skate car to Fairbanks in December to live in in the WalMart parking lot, then when you tell me sensible things like that it's a bad idea and my plan ends in certain premature death, I'm going to tell you all that you're wrong and that you don't know anything. I am the smartest smarty pants that ever lived! Then I'll drive up, only make it to Anchorage, meet some sucker in a coffee shop and manipulate her into letting me live in her house for frrrrreeeeeee! Then I'm gonna come back here and rub in you all's faces how wrong wrong wrong you were!"

Sound familiar? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 AM

1,907 posts, read 1,482,124 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Is this really C-D? Someone is actually posting here asking about the drive up on the AlCan in winter who doesn't plan on driving a tin can with bald tires?
I know right and it's just a vacation, he's not planning on staying and "living off the land" on some state parcel . Usually it's I got a 89 toyota tercel and $1500 to my name, so this is refreshing.

Also you should budget for $100+ a night on average if you stay in hotels. A $100 room for the night is a pretty good deal in Canada. $150 a night for some mediocre isn't unheard of. They know they next town is 200 miles away and they have you by the balls. Better yet, whatever you think you may spend in Canada, bring an extra $1000. Anyways, most Canadians are super friendly and I always have an awesome time driving through.

I forgot the best part of my UHaul ditch story. I returned the UHaul to fairbanks the next day with a dented to hell bumper and grill packed full of snow. The look on the Uhaul managers face was priceless, but luckily I bought the $75 dollar insurance which let me off the hook for free. We couldn't open the door on the back as the lock and door itself were frozen solid. It took about 5 mins with a propane torch to open it, so if you lock up your trailer, it isn't the worst idea to also bring a torch. I do have AAA plus now but was unaware that it also worked in Canada.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
LOL, read this thread and then do everything opposite from this guy and you'll be fine.

So I currently live near Chicago, Illinois. I applied for a job in Fairbanks Alaska making really good money. I was w
What's this? You couldn't find the posts from that Yemeni kid?? lol

Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Here they are... and even dumber than I remember:

Can my car handle the cold?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 AM

18,418 posts, read 22,991,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
What's this? You couldn't find the posts from that Yemeni kid?? lol
lol, forgot about that dumbass. There's so many they've all sort of formed a blur.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
lol, forgot about that dumbass. There's so many they've all sort of formed a blur.
Geez, I was kind of mean to him, lol. I clearly found his stupidity very frustrating.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 AM

20 posts, read 8,352 times
Lol you guys make me feel better. I wouldnt never have some small car to drive to alaska in the winter thats just idiotic. With my duramax being only a year old at that point with block heater and radiator cover and any other winterizing tatics i learn between now and then will get me through with minimal problems. 100 bucks a night no big deal i plan to stay in saskatoon and whitehorse/border city. We plan to take turns driving threw the night to make up the other nights of not stopping. I work 12 hour swing shift in a refinery im at work right now actually lol, but im used to being up all crazy hours and overtime so hopefully as long as i have the occasional caffeine ill be good. I like the idea if i end up sliding off road being able to use my toys to my advantage and pull/winch truck out of the mess. And ill look like a marshmellow out in -40 weather but in 2014 down here it was -10 to -20 for a week (actual temp) 14 inches of snow and a good time thawing out frozen pipes 100 feet in the air with steam hoses. What a week that was. The atvs and sxs get around better than ud think in snow thats 14 to 18 inches deep. I could navigate easily in 2 wheel drive. But as soon as i sell my seadoo i will prly have a snowmachine too. I cant imagine living in chicago my whole life and being stupid enough to make that drive in a little car during winter

Last edited by laugel; 05-17-2016 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 AM

I remember that thread as I was driving up at the same time. I didn't have time to read it all but the first line on post #5 asking " are you stoned?" made me lol and pretty much summed up the whole thread. In retrospect , Yemeni was either very very stoned or just plain retarded.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 AM

I would not recommend driving throughout the night if I were you. Wildlife can appear in the roadway that are much bigger than deer. The days are pretty short that time of year as it is and a minor problem at noon could be a much bigger problem at 1am. Stores are on pretty limited hours as it is that time of year, if they are even open. You may also be better off staying in the states until Montana or so, and then popping up in Alberta. I've done both and I swore at the time that driving through Canada all the way to the U.P. Of Michigan took MUCH longer than dropping down and driving through the states, but that could all be in my head.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I know right and it's just a vacation, he's not planning on staying and "living off the land" on some state parcel . Usually it's I got a 89 toyota tercel and $1500 to my name, so this is refreshing.

Also you should budget for $100+ a night on average if you stay in hotels. A $100 room for the night is a pretty good deal in Canada. $150 a night for some mediocre isn't unheard of. They know they next town is 200 miles away and they have you by the balls. Better yet, whatever you think you may spend in Canada, bring an extra $1000. Anyways, most Canadians are super friendly and I always have an awesome time driving through.

I forgot the best part of my UHaul ditch story. I returned the UHaul to fairbanks the next day with a dented to hell bumper and grill packed full of snow. The look on the Uhaul managers face was priceless, but luckily I bought the $75 dollar insurance which let me off the hook for free. We couldn't open the door on the back as the lock and door itself were frozen solid. It took about 5 mins with a propane torch to open it, so if you lock up your trailer, it isn't the worst idea to also bring a torch. I do have AAA plus now but was unaware that it also worked in Canada.
Sorry, I was wrong. All AAA packages work in Canada, you just can't get anywhere in 3-miles.

AAA Plus gets you a 100 mile tow and free fuel + delivery. AAA Premier gets you a 200 mile tow and free fuel + delivery. Both Plus and Premier cover 2 drivers + 2 wreckers for "extraction service," which is a fancy way to say "ditch removal fee."

Member Benefits Chart

A torch is a must-have. I had to use a propane torch to "defrost" my manual locking hubs a couple times at the beginning and end of winter. OP has a new truck, but still... they come in handy. This is another thing to leave in the cab if it's cold because propane gels up somewhere around -40*F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska