U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 AM

659 posts, read 361,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugel View Post
I would prefer to drive at night but wont be one to turn down good advice especially if it saves a moose from being smashed in my truck. Lightbars are not illegal in illinois as long as you dont use them on normal roads. Both my grizzly and rzr have lightbars and the are nice no doubt
You have it wrong. "if it saves a moose from being smashed in my truck" It is your truck being smashed in a moose. And if you are lucky it wont end up in your face through the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:39 AM

21 posts, read 8,483 times
oh another note ill probably be using my credit card in most situations but in the event somewhere takes cash only, i assume it would be wise to bring several hundred bucks in canadian cash as well? Or do most places takes american money too?

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 AM

1,282 posts, read 645,411 times
I know there is an appeal to drive, but why not fly? You get here much quicker which leaves you with more time to play.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 AM

21 posts, read 8,483 times
The plan is to actually have a smaller flat bed trailer inside the enclosed one that my rzr can fit on. I plan on buying a new enclosed trailer down south hauling it their and having my friend sell it to help pay for the trip since they seem to go for much more money in alaska than down here. So assuming i wouldnt get stranded it would be actually cheaper than flying and mostly the journey itself

Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 AM

1,735 posts, read 694,487 times
Quote:
I would prefer to drive at night but wont be one to turn down good advice especially if it saves a moose from being smashed in my truck. ..

Driving in Canada and Alaska during February means that you will still experience relatively long nights, so little chance of avoiding some dark driving conditions. I would go for the night driving, with those bright lights.
Just don't blind any other drivers with them.

Of course, be prepared for driving well below the speed limit, when road conditions dictate.

Also, I would recommend not exceeding the speed limit at any time.

It wouldn't hurt to bring some Canadian cash, though most places should accept US.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,254,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Here they are... and even dumber than I remember:

Can my car handle the cold?
I wasted 20 minutes re-reading the entire 16 pages of that discussion. I wonder if the kid is still up here.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM

1,926 posts, read 1,510,325 times
I agree, I would think real hard about flying if I only had three weeks. Almost two weeks of that is going to be eaten up by driving. You can get plane tickets for pretty cheap that time of year ~$500, you can rent a car for a couple hundred a week and the snowmachine rentals are like $125 for the day wih weekly rates available if I recall correctly. They also rent atvs and sxs. I don't know if selling the enclosed trailer works as good as it used to. Sure you can sell it, but who knows for how much and how long it will take.

I'm usually the biggest proponent for driving up, but in this case with limited time in winter, I think I would fly. You would then have three weeks to enjoy Alaska instead of one, without any stress or preparations for driving. The drive could be a smooth 5 day cruise, or a white knuckle 8 day expedition in the winter and you wouldn't know until you started. Plus you'd save putting 7k miles on that brand new truck. I'd say flying works out cheaper and easier in this case, but I understand the appeal of driving. Definitely something to think about more.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,152,114 times
Quote:
oh another note ill probably be using my credit card in most situations but in the event somewhere takes cash only, i assume it would be wise to bring several hundred bucks in canadian cash as well? Or do most places takes american money too?
Take a lot of cash. I think I had USD$2k or $3k in case of emergency and $300 Canadian. Also, you must call your bank and credit card companies and tell them the dates you will be traveling through Canada and Alaska or your card/s will get shut off. Even so, many fuel stations and other establishments don't take American cards. And even though I called the bank, the b*stards shut it off anyways. They were "sorry for the mistake."

But yeah, American dollars are accepted in a lot of places.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,152,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I wasted 20 minutes re-reading the entire 16 pages of that discussion. I wonder if the kid is still up here.
Sorry

I think it's telling that he came back several times to say that he's "still here" and that he's "alive," but not to provide any details. That leads me to believe that he's barely making it and still mooching off of that lady (or some other generous soul), which irritates the sh*t out of me. Come back and tell me when you're supporting yourself like a big boy

Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 2,009,714 times
The drive is doable, but you'd better bring arctic survival gear in case you have a breakdown at -20, -30, -40 or even lower temps. You can be waiting a long time for help - it's a long way between services even in summer, and in the winter a lot is shut down.

I wouldn't tow ATVs or snowmachines all the way up here just for a visit. Surely you can rent or borrow them from someone in-state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska