U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 11,984 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everybodys advice i think ive convinced myself unless there is another mild winter like this one has been i may pusch back my trip into april just to be on the safe side. I plan on coming back in 2019 again when i can take 4 weeks off work. I will look into flying my friends brother is going in july so he can give me some more insight on that as well. Ill miss out on the start of the iditarod but may catch it next time around. Has anybody watched it? I know its just dogs pulling a sled but i find it amazing and entertaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,400,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugel View Post
Thanks for everybodys advice i think ive convinced myself unless there is another mild winter like this one has been i may pusch back my trip into april just to be on the safe side. I plan on coming back in 2019 again when i can take 4 weeks off work. I will look into flying my friends brother is going in july so he can give me some more insight on that as well. Ill miss out on the start of the iditarod but may catch it next time around. Has anybody watched it? I know its just dogs pulling a sled but i find it amazing and entertaining
To heck with the Iditarod. Come up here for Yukon Quest! We're way more fun and YQ is way more exciting. And yes, it is super fun to go out and build a white-man fire on the river, hang out drinking beer and telling lies watching the races all day, hollering at the mushers to "go go go!". Can't beat that with a stick. Unless it's -40*F. Then you should drink some hot toddies, watch a couple go by, and call it a day.

someone is surely going to rip my ass, but I really am partial to YQ. Not a huge Iditarod fan.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,521,189 times
You could always go to Arctic Man in April. Not sure if I'd want to drive it then though because of the melt-and-freeze cycle that time of year though.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM

21 posts, read 11,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
To heck with the Iditarod. Come up here for Yukon Quest! We're way more fun and YQ is way more exciting. And yes, it is super fun to go out and build a white-man fire on the river, hang out drinking beer and telling lies watching the races all day, hollering at the mushers to "go go go!". Can't beat that with a stick. Unless it's -40*F. Then you should drink some hot toddies, watch a couple go by, and call it a day.

someone is surely going to rip my ass, but I really am partial to YQ. Not a huge Iditarod fan.
Lol sounds like a good time to me

Old 05-20-2016, 12:23 AM

742 posts, read 468,295 times
Quote:

Not going to rip you but we do the same thing on the Su and Yetna for the Iditarod! People bring the lawn chairs and old couches on freight sleds. Fun had by all!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Not going to rip you but we do the same thing on the Su and Yetna for the Iditarod! People bring the lawn chairs and old couches on freight sleds. Fun had by all!
Haha, awesome! Ya, a whole pile of us ride down to the Chena on my cousin's freight sled, which is slicker than snot. I told him next year I want to go on the FIREWOOD sled, which is part plywood and has real tall sides. Geez, ya tryin to kill me or what?

This year we brought a frozen jackolantern that was leftover from Halloween and set it out in the middle of the river. Nearly every musher and many random passers-by asked why the f we had a jackolantern. No good answer. Ahhh, because PBR, lol.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:49 AM

In all seriousness, I think it's a matter of regional pride, or something like that. I know a lot of people here that are super into Yukon Quest who could not care less about the Iditarod.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 AM

742 posts, read 468,295 times
It is whatever race you can get to and watch. It's MGD here!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
It is whatever race you can get to and watch. It's MGD here!
Exactly. And it's funny... we all like good beer, but YQ definitely means PBR, and some of the crew brings Banquet aka Colorado KoolAid. My philosophy is that if you're going to drink crappy beer, go all the way. I once did the math in a Safeway liquor store and PBR was the cheapest per ounce not counting 40s and 22s.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:14 PM

946 posts, read 1,579,771 times
Quote:
My philosophy is that if you're going to drink crappy beer, go all the way.
Once you've had a couple, the ones after that all taste pretty good regardless of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska