Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Trapping? Can't condone that cruel practice at all.

The Chena River has a dog salmon run that's pretty spawned out by the time it gets near FBs. Some kings too but not sure how large that run is. I'd rather pound sand all day that eat spawned out nasty old river fish though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
Good to know, i am not necessarily talking about "substinencd" hunting and fishing (the legal term), as i dont plan to be a really crazy dude living in the woods. Instead im more talking about it as an idea, where i do it for bonus meat/food, but i plan for the majority to be from a store. If i was to go 100% substinence like they show on those fake t.v. Shows, i would be looking (much) further away from fairbanks, as im sure alot of people in fbs will fly off the road system just to bag a moose/bear/caribou/whatever. If i was not diabetic i would be looking off the road, as atleast if i was to loose a job/insurance/ect, i wouldnt need to deal with affording insulin (of which type ones need alot of to live), and i would atleast be able to "survive". However with my condition where someone could get by being resourceful, i have a few days to a weeks time before im just another statistic (on both crazy people dying in alaska, and on the dangers of t1d).

The 1 year residency issue would be resolved by living in alaska for well... One year.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Also yes, i edit my comments alot to add in more details, sometimes as soon as i hit post, othertimes abit after, i normally try to keep the original comment in there, and then add more after it to continue explaining.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 AM

Another bonus to the tech field would be the ability to work remotly (as many of my family members do), assuming i could get good internet, which i am not sure how great the connection is in Alaska (its great in rural northern new england... If you use a canadian provider).

Old 05-25-2016, 02:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Are you the same guy with Type 1 diabetes who was here a couple of years ago (under a different name) asking very similar questions?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:40 PM

Possibly could be me, but if so the questions would be focusing around Anchorage/Mat-Su. Its only been in the last few weeks that i have started looking (with more seriousness), into the Ruraler/northerner fairbanks area. Before i asked some questions about off road/fairbanks, but didnt delve into much detail.

I did make a thread about Forestry in Alaska a few weeks ago.

and i did have a name change (probally about 6 months ago, most of all my alaska forum posts have been on this name), beforehand i was looking mainly at Maine and the Rockies.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
His Maine posts have been interesting to read.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Alot of the posts get very interesting in the Maine forum, not just me, its a very open group for better or worse. Currently there is an active thread about someone moving to maine despite being deathly scared of bears. A few months ago there was one about people being crazy in northern maine (despite the fact most of the posters there live around/north of Bangor, so its self bashing). In general alot of my posts end up interesting.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
If Maine is so great maybe you should just stay there?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 PM

Im not saying Maine is great, nor am i saying Maine is bad, Maine is well, Maine. It has its ups and downs like any state. The reason i bring it up alot is it is the closest thing to AK that i know comfortably enough to compare things to (even then there is alot to find out, and the only reason i know as much as i do is i have been posting and asking questions there for about a year). My comment was refering to the forum, the climate of the actual state i know alittle about, but not much, i was merely agreeing that yes, alot of the posts in the Maine thread end up becoming very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska