U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,263 posts, read 765,278 times

Advertisements

Hi, ive been trying to look for hub communities around interior/central alaska (forested parts as i have no desire for the artic tundra areas like bethel/barrow), but i can not seem to find lists that mention alot in this area, and those towns that are, do not seem to be hubs, or to have infastructure similar to other hubs elsewhere (all i need in the truest sense is a 24/7 hospital for very basic emergencys). Most mention towns like Tok, or Tanana/Nenana, but these are all much further off-the-grid than i could handle. I am wondering if there are any towns similar to bethel/barrow/ect in this part of the state (off road system), or if they are all on the road system?

Sorry for my continous posts, trying to gain some information from Alaskans, alot of things on the Internet seem to be from people who visit alaska, love it, but have no experience there, or move there without a plan and fail miserbly and bash the state.

P.s. Hope your enjoying the cold before summer, its already hitting the 80s here, but i see fairbanks is a nice comfortable 54 degrees (yes i know fairbanks reaches the 90s in mid summer, but its not there... yet...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Also is there a more specific term for this area, ive heard tanana tossed around, but not sure if it refers to the town, or the region. Interior Alaska is getting results from all around the state, just wondering if theres a more specific term i can use.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,521,189 times
No, there aren't, if I'm reading your post correctly. On one hand you say you don't want to go far off grid but on the other hand you're asking about places off the road system. Either way, nothing really exists like Bethel or Barrow in the interior.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,495,230 times
The interior is mostly connected to the road system, so doesn't really have "hub towns" like the arctic and western areas. Places like McGrath and Fort Yukon are probably the closest you'll find off the road system. The true "hub town" here is Fairbanks, though it's a small city with something like 90,000 people in its limits and surrounding area. The smaller towns connected to it by the paved road system have most amenities you would expect from off grid hub towns (groceries, hardware, fuel and electrical companies, gas, rental housing, and at least a few jobs). As far as I know, none of these towns other than Fairbanks has a 24/7 hospital or clinic. On the other hand, Delta at least does have 24/7 EMS ambulance services which will get you to Fairbanks in a couple hours in case of emergency. I'm not sure about the other towns, but I'll bet Tok, Healy, Cantwell, and Glennallen are similar. Manley, Eagle, Chicken, Central, and others are too far out for that sort of thing and you're more on your own. You'd probably be flown out in case of major emergency.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, there aren't, if I'm reading your post correctly. On one hand you say you don't want to go far off grid but on the other hand you're asking about places off the road system. Either way, nothing really exists like Bethel or Barrow in the interior.
Kinda this, i dont like endless population, im more into a small town surronded by nothing, here in maine (our rural), rural is considered 200 person towns in close proximity, so an area the size of ct really has a 100-200k as the towns are close to eachother. Not sure if im making any sense here.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Also regarding major emergency, ive only had one (severed finger), my only other issues requiring a hospital is just ketones as a result of vomiting (dehydration and lack of food), which is easily fixed by an iv anti-nasusa in 2-3 hours, which im sure even the most primitive of alaskan hospitals can do (in reality i could probally do it myself if i knew how/had the stuff). Hasnt happened in about a year though (knock on wood).

Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,521,189 times
Quote:
(all i need in the truest sense is a 24/7 hospital for very basic emergencys)
No. Maybe think about living close enough to FBs to access hospitals if you whack off your finger or get sick again.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
AFAIK the only 24/7 hospital in the Interior is in Fairbanks.

Delta has EMTs with an ambulance, though. Some other communities might as well.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,400,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
AFAIK the only 24/7 hospital in the Interior is in Fairbanks.

Delta has EMTs with an ambulance, though. Some other communities might as well.
Yep, FMH is the only hospital in the Interior besides military.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No. Maybe think about living close enough to FBs to access hospitals if you whack off your finger or get sick again.
Wasnt wacked off, however silly it sounds my dog tripped me and it hit some of that plastic twine you get at home depot i was using to suspend some stuff, its safe to say its really strong.

Also, that probally would be the best idea to live close enough to FBs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska