U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Why ruin good steaks with all that? Don't you like the taste of moose? Same for salmon, why put all that extra BS on them? They taste just fine alone!
That is not ruining them at all.

When you live off of the same proteins year after year, new recipes are welcome.

*and many native recipes don't involve just salt and pepper. They involve preservation methods that most would find 'unappetizing' to say the least.

Last edited by AlaskaRose; 08-13-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 PM

741 posts, read 467,998 times
muktuk is muktuk no matter what you put on it.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,399,349 times
So, I did this one again, and wow, sssoooo delicious. My changes follow:

I again used both white wine and chicken broth, I added about a tablespoon of capers, and I topped the salmon with the sauce it cooked in and mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic, and served with grilled asparagus on the side. And, again, I don't recommend frozen salmon, although if your fillets aren't frozen together it would work okay.

BRONZED ALASKA SALMON IN A BUTTER-WINE SAUCE

SERVES 4
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 Alaska Salmon steaks or fillets (4 to 6 oz. each), fresh, thawed or frozen
1 Tablespoon olive, canola, peanut or grapeseed oil
2 Tablespoons of your favorite seafood seasoning
1/4 cup white wine AND chicken broth
1 Tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Salmon under cold water; pat dry with paper towel. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of salmon with oil. Place salmon in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.

Turn salmon over and sprinkle with seafood seasoning. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2 minutes; add the wine and butter to pan. Continue to cook, uncovered, an additional 4 to 6 minutes for frozen salmon OR 1 to 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout and sauce is reduced.

Drizzle sauce over salmon when serving.

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING

Nutrients per serving: 235 calories, 11.5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 46% calories from fat, 113mg cholesterol, 29g protein, 0.5g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1034mg sodium, 18mg calcium and 1000mg omega-3 fatty acids.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:20 PM

15 posts, read 10,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
muktuk is muktuk no matter what you put on it.
True. But be open to new recipes.

Last edited by AlaskaRose; 08-15-2016 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Sity was a misprint

Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,517,429 times
I agree with your changes, riceme That recipe in particular was developed as a part of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute's "Cook it Frozen" program that's aimed more at -48 restaurants rather than Alaska residents.

I found an Alaskan vegan, btw. There's a college girl who came to work here a month or so ago who's a vegan. Not sure what she's surviving on.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree with your changes, riceme That recipe in particular was developed as a part of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute's "Cook it Frozen" program that's aimed more at -48 restaurants rather than Alaska residents.

I found an Alaskan vegan, btw. There's a college girl who came to work here a month or so ago who's a vegan. Not sure what she's surviving on.
Thanks, Met. I am pretty much incapable of sticking to a recipe. I always change something or another, and I am of the opinion that capers are one of the most underutilized gems of the kitchen.

Yes! I went and backtracked where that recipe originated because I liked it so much. There are a lot of great recipes and ideas there. If your fillets are not folded up and frozen together, it would probably work a lot better. And, the first time it tasted just fine. It just looked ugly because I kept trying to pry the fillets apart.

Last night I made lightly blackened halibut and sauteed carrots with the tiniest hint of honey, finished with fresh dill. I love blackened fish, but it often has too much seasoning, wiping out the flavor of the fish. I was going to cook last night's halibut just like the salmon, but my friend likes spicy stuff. Anyways, I think the other recipe would be good with halibut, too, and I intend to try it.

I also wonder what the vegan is living on. Could you ask without having it come off as rude?
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 AM

Why are your filets folded up and all stuck together wtf?

The college girl and I have a good enough rapport so I can ask her -- her mom is a good friend and I've known her since she was a tot. Had to slap a cigarette (figuratively) out of her mouth the other day. We get along. She's not one of those uber earnest self impressed vegans.

I did hear her joking with a couple of other employees how she's an "Alaskan vegan," so I'm guessing she eats a bit of seafood; her parents are shrimpers. I'll ask her when I get a chance.

Drizzled some halibut with the red huckleberry syrup I made.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-16-2016 at 03:27 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Why are your filets folded up and all stuck together wtf?

The college girl and I have a good enough rapport so I can ask her -- her mom is a good friend and I've known her since she was a tot. Had to slap a cigarette (figuratively) out of her mouth the other day. We get along. She's not one of those uber earnest self impressed vegans.

I did hear her joking with a couple of other employees how she's an "Alaskan vegan," so I'm guessing she eats a bit of seafood; her parents are shrimpers. I'll ask her when I get a chance.

Drizzled some halibut with the red huckleberry syrup I made.
That's how the processor does them that my friend took them to. I had never seen such a thing before, but apparently that is some sort of a normal thing around here. My family usually does their own, so... I really couldn't tell you. I'll have to ask.

Funny about being an "Alaskan vegan." When my vegan sister was here last winter, she broke down and ate some salmon. There is just not a lot of healthy options, especially in the winter. My cousin's wife had never been around vegans before and frankly had zero understanding of it. She called me the day before my sister got here to ask if it would be okay if she put chicken in the chicken noodle soup. "Ahhh, whaaa?"

Eventually I figured out that she thought that being vegan meant that you did not eat red meat. When I explained to her that my sister did not eat any animal products at all -- no meat, no fish, no butter, no eggs -- there was a long pause, then she exclaimed, "Who the F*#@ doesn't eat CHICKEN?!" My mom and I later had a good laugh over that, because we have found it excessively difficult to feed my sister on many occasions.

Now I'm thinking rhubarb syrup on halibut. Do you guys have gooseberries down there? I don't think we have them up here. God, I love gooseberries.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
That's how the processor does them that my friend took them to. I had never seen such a thing before, but apparently that is some sort of a normal thing around here. My family usually does their own, so... I really couldn't tell you. I'll have to ask.
No decent processor does that. I'm really sorry if that's normal up there, but that's as sloppy and substandard as it gets.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
No decent processor does that. I'm really sorry if that's normal up there, but that's as sloppy and substandard as it gets.
I'm pretty sure I know where he took these, because he'd originally asked me to pick these up. I'll have to check and make sure.

I have only ever taken anything to a professional processor when I was selling it, so I had no idea that it was not normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska