U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 02:34 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,014,477 times

Advertisements

I have wifi in my outhouse. Because I'm special like that hahhaha.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:06 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,187,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I have wifi in my outhouse. Because I'm special like that hahhaha.
Why does it not surprise me that you have wifi in your outhouse? lol

True story: when I lived in North Pole the only spot on the 2 acres that got a cell signal was the outhouse.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM

18,562 posts, read 23,349,383 times
These kids take a plane to and from school:

Air taxi delivers South Naknek students to school, slowing village's decline - Alaska Dispatch News

Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 PM

2,358 posts, read 3,311,025 times
Answers below in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Forgive my nativity, but I am very curious about you Alaskans...

Do you guys feel somewhat disassociated or disconnected from the issues, politics, and/or culture of the rest of the US? Not really. Maybe 20 years ago before cable TV, 24 hour news and internet. But today we are just as up to date on everything as the rest of the country.

What do y'all identify as? Pacific north westerners?
Pacific Northwest is Washington & Oregon. Maybe people in Southeast Alaska might identify... But anything north of Yakutat certainly wouldn't.

Do Alaskans make trips to Canada or Russia very often? Nope. The Canadian border is an 8 hour drive from where I live. And all that is there is the tiny town of Beaver Creek. To get to Whitehorse it's another eight hours or so from there. I lived some in Haines as a kid. It's an hour to the border, but again, there's nothing there. Whitehorse was another four hours from there. And Russia would be even more inaccessible.

What sports teams are the favorites up there? Or is it basically just college? People move here from all over, so they bring their loyalties with them. But there seems to be a lot of Seahawk, Green Bay and Steelers fans.

How miserable really are the winters, compared to Northern WI, MI, or NY? Probably not more miserable, but longer. But keep in mind how huge Alaska is. Winter in Ketchikan is A LOT different than winter in Barrow.

Do y'all love it there, or do you feel stuck? Love it.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Answers below in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
Do they tech Russian in Alaska's schools? They teach lots of foreign languages. Russian, Spanish, French, etc...

before I start to make fun of things, I also came here to find out more about Alaska, The plain ticket to Alaska is more expensive then a whole Europe vacation. So I would say that Alaska is pretty isolated. Jet Blue had some good fares early... There's deals out there if you watch for them.

I would definitely want to visit.

Are there active forums or threads where Alaskans are talking about daily life ?This forum has those discussions. What does an average Alaskan look like ? How dressed, drives what car, what kind of pronunciation ? We look like anyone else. We dress like anyone else. We drive the same cars as anyone else.

Do most Alaskans have electricity ? Most Alaskans live in Anchorage, Fairbanks, the MatSu Valley or on the Kenai Peninsula. Almost all would have electricity or access to electricity. Or generate their own? What about internet? We have internet through our cable company, GCI. It's more expensive that what you'll find elsewhere. Cell phone coverage ? AT&T and Verizon both have towers and stores in Alaska. What are most common professions I work in the office of a construction company. The wife is an office manager. Lots of people work in the oil industry or construction industry. Do you guys live off the land more then our supermarket culture ? Supermarket for us. Hunting and fishing is expensive.

hmm... Spend a season in Alaska... Find a temp job in Alaska... hmm... Coolworks: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 PM

Answers in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post

how do you commute to work/school in winter ? You drive. Just like any other time of year.

do you have snow days ? a few. When it warms up and turns the snow to ice is worse than the snow.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM

I should emphasize that Alaska is a huge state. My life here in Wasilla is very different than someones life in a village. Life in Southeast would be different than life in Barrow.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 AM

175 posts, read 180,073 times
I live in SE Alaska and neither me or anyone I know identify "ourselves" as being from the "northwest." We live in south Alaska! We hunt and fish a lot down here. There is every kind a vehicle I can think of here-saw one of those "smart cars" here yesterday. I personally haven't owned a car since like 1988 or something like that, personal choice is a truck. We have folks that live on boats here and they too have electricity and internet. As mentioned, temp. is way different depending on where you live in the state. Mornings here are like 50 on average right now and barely make it to 60 most days. I haven't actually seen the sun in I think 8 days--rains a lot. I personally heat with wood but have electric back up. Got a small greenhouse and have to run a small heater in there most days that are cloudy. Got a couple buddies that live on a couple of the smaller islands about 2 miles out that live totally off the grid--except they do have cell phones. Very ingenious folks. Doesn't snow much here down low but at 3000 feet up the mountains is a whole other story!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM

175 posts, read 180,073 times
And I need to add that the wife and I love it here--Sitka is on an island and its boat or plane only ways out but that never makes us feel isolated.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:18 PM

1,362 posts, read 696,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Forgive my nativity, but I am very curious about you Alaskans...

Thanks
Do you guys feel somewhat disassociated or disconnected from the issues, politics, and/or culture of the rest of the US?

Yes and No. There are times, when I am trying to get something shipped that I do feel that way, or times that I don't watch tv (a lot of the time). Other than that, with the internet, I have to choose to not know what is going on.

What do y'all identify as? Pacific north westerners?

How about Alaskans?

Do Alaskans make trips to Canada or Russia very often?
I am sure there are some that do, but generally I would say no. Russia has little to offer us in terms of cost effectiveness and our Canadian border isn't that populated.

What foods would you consider to be 'Alaskan fare'?

Salmon, moose, whale, seal and fish ice cream (agutuk (sp)). But realistically, we eat the same thing our lower 48 comrades eat generally.

Do the young people stick around, or do they tend to move away?
Depends on the person.

What sports teams are the favorites up there? Or is it basically just college?
I found the sports scene to revolve around professional sports way more than college (I'm from SEC country) and the most common gear I see is:
Football
1. Seahawks
2. Packers
3. Steelers

Basketball
1. Anything Lebron related (Cavs, Heat)
2. Anything Stephon Curry related (though Curry seems to be taking over in popularity)
3. Bulls (MJ influence)
4. Lakers (Kobe influence)

Baseball
Not a lot of baseball fans.

How miserable really are the winters, compared to Northern WI, MI, or NY?
I don't find them miserable at all. Long, sure, but quite pleasant.

Do y'all love it there, or do you feel stuck?
We love it here, and despite that we do feel stuck at times, because of cost to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska