Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:59 AM

256 posts, read 453,112 times

Advertisements

**This is for a friend**

Family member down south (deep south) needs help and is unable to assist themselves.

Both him and his wife are trying to think of ways to get her to Alaska for as little as possible.

Anyways, trying to figure out ways to get her from Georgia to Alaska for as little as possible. She is unable to fly due to medical conditions.

Okay - researching is proving rather difficult and annoying. They thought about selling his vehicle, then fly down and purchase a new(er) vehicle to drive her back in.

Another idea is to drive from Anchorage to Seattle in his car, take a plane from Seattle to Georgia and rent a car. Then drive back to Seattle in the rented car where it would be dropped off. From here they would pick up his car back up and drive through Canada.

*So far both of these options require sleeping logistics through Canada. Which sounds like a pain to figure out, and expensive.

Next option is to fly down to Georgia and rent a car to drive to Montana/Washing/Idaho, or where ever to pick up a rental RV and drive through Canada dropping off in Anchorage. Less worries about having to find hotels and food this way.

Cruise ship through the Panama is an option, then she would be picked up in California in his personal vehicle, but all this does is save him time (4 -5 days in a car), and cost more money.

Anyone have any ideas how this could be done? Or what you have done when traveling the Alcan?

Last edited by MillerThyme; 06-11-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:30 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
**This is for a friend**

Family member down south (deep south) needs help and is unable to assist themselves.

Both him and his wife are trying to think of ways to get her to Alaska for as little as possible.

Anyways, trying to figure out ways to get her from Georgia to Alaska for as little as possible. She is unable to fly due to medical conditions.

Okay - researching is proving rather difficult and annoying. They thought about selling his vehicle, then fly down and purchase a new(er) vehicle to drive her back in.

Another idea is to drive from Anchorage to Seattle in his car, take a plane from Seattle to Georgia and rent a car. Then drive back to Seattle in the rented car where it would be dropped off. From here they would pick up his car back up and drive through Canada.

*So far both of these options require sleeping logistics through Canada. Which sounds like a pain to figure out, and expensive.

Next option is to fly down to Georgia and rent a car to drive to Montana/Washing/Idaho, or where ever to pick up a rental RV and drive through Canada dropping off in Anchorage. Less worries about having to find hotels and food this way.

Cruise ship through the Panama is an option, then she would be picked up in California in his personal vehicle, but all this does is save him time (4 -5 days in a car), and cost more money.

Anyone have any ideas how this could be done? Or what you have done when traveling the Alcan?
Why does she want to come? With her not being able to fly, there is no cheap way. None.
She can't fly, but can cruise, or make across country trip so I'm assuming her medical issues deal with pressurized cabins.
Can she not drive herself? Assuming she can't.
How long she coming for?
My thoughts, is that your friend should buy a cheap used Subaru that is dependable and drove her up. Have her or you sell the Subaru for them.

Edit: I re read the OP. Sorry. Was up all night picking net.
How long will they be staying in Alaska? Obviously her medical condition makes travel by plane difficult and we all know that flying is the least expensive and quickest way for two.
If this was me.

I'd fly to ATL from ANC ($600ish). Purchase a used car down south (truck or Subaru) and then road trip up. I did this last summer and spent 8 days just to Seattle, but was only doing about 500 miles a day since we were traveling with little kids. I did not do the Alcan. Once they return to AK, sell the extra vehicle. Heck, if they are going to Anchorage I might be interested in buying a vehicle and having them drive it up. We've been thinking about a vehicle in Anchorage for awhile.

Have you looked into the Ferry?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:53 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
One thing I don't like about the drive from anchorage to Seattle then fly, is that any delay could cause you to miss that flight.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Forget food; it's the least of your problems! You do realize that the only other way, by road, to reach Alaska, is by using the Cassier Highway? Why can't she fly? If she has a heart condition, I wouldn't recommend the Cassier! And there's no (zip, none, nada) medical care no matter which route you take. Being physically challenged myself, and having driven all those roads, I can't imagine venturing there with serious health problems. At least planes have oxygen and trained medical personnel....

Old 06-11-2016, 03:04 PM

To clarify, she had an Arianism years ago, and some other complications from what I understand. Either way, doctors say not to fly.

She can not drive because her car was stolen. Having met the lady, she has a heart of gold, but due to medication she has some memory issues and probably not best she travels alone.

This would be her permanent location as well.

Have not looked into the ferry. I am doing a lot of the research myself. I've traveled extensively over the years.

They're would like to keep travel expenses under $5k.

Okay, here was I've found out so far.

RV rental is not possible. They allow one way rentals, but they are booked up for the remaining year. This would have been the best option.

Looked into him flying into Atlanta and traveling by rail to Spokane Washington. Looks like it would take 4-5 days with a few layovers and including room for the longest part of the trip it would cost a total of $1600 (roughly). He could then drive from there back into Anchorage. Worried about hotel costs along the Alcan.

Looked into him renting a car from Atlanta to Seattle. Best price is roughly $950 - apparently there is a $500 drop fee for cars not being returned to its original starting point. Then drive back through the Alan from there.

Looked into him renting a car from Atlanta to Toronto (same costs as before), and then taking a rail from there to Edmonton. This would cost $1600, but that includes room and food for the entire trip. Then finish the drive in his vehicle. This means he would need to drive the 2200ish miles to Edmonton and fly out from there.

-Have not looked into the marine highway, but will right now.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Honestly, it sounds like a nightmare. The ferry is going to be expensive, and it might not be possible to get a cabin this time of year. It's a grueling five days to Whittier from Bellingham. Some people find it a really fun way to travel, but someone in poor health might have problems.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,996 times
A buddy of mine literally just did the drive to Alaska, up the Dalton. Including hotels, he still came in way under your travel budget. He had no problem finding hotels through Canada (he crossed into Canada in Montana on his way there, and went via Vamcouver / Seattle on his way back).

Old 06-11-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
A buddy of mine literally just did the drive to Alaska, up the Dalton. Including hotels, he still came in way under your travel budget. He had no problem finding hotels through Canada (he crossed into Canada in Montana on his way there, and went via Vamcouver / Seattle on his way back).
That is really good to hear and would plan for a Montana crossing. He was also thinking about a Michigan crossing, but that would put him in Canada longer.

Anyways, about her health since a few have brought this up. She can not do planes obviously, otherwise she is fine. Her other issue is memory due to a medication she has to take for her head. She will do fine going cross country.

The ferry is way expensive! It would be cheaper to fly down, rent a car and drive to Washington and then jump onto a normal one way cruise into Alaska.

Going to talk with her in a few days and start presenting ideas to see if she actually wants to do this.

Last edited by MillerThyme; 06-11-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 08:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I just drove the highway a couple of days ago. I only spent three nights in Canada and the most I spent on a motel was $135 Canadian. The first and third nights were $80 plus tax. Including food, lodging and gas I spent maybe $600 Canadian. I also entered via I 15 in Montana.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:43 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Let's start with why can't she fly? Planes are pressurized these days. Almost nobody can physically not fly. People in iron lungs fly.

Scared to fly? Take a Valium, or ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska