Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I lived in Cambridge for one year and Revere for 2. I'm originally from Texas and that's where I'm moving back to - but definitely a city in TX (probably Austin).
Cambridge & Revere? Dang! You really put yourself through the wringer. Hopefully Texas will be a better experience for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
Default Fellow-Alaskans in Bradenton

Just caring for husband's Mom here in Bradenton and missing our cabin in SE Alaska in Hoonah-Icy Strait Point. However, the weather has been wonderful here and we have gotten Mama out swimming everyday and hubby enjoys the driving range. Southeast Alaska is a moderate rainforest and we decided to build our reFirement, one-room cabin there on the Pacific Ocean. So grateful!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticracer View Post
THIS IS NOT A BASHING THREAD-

But how do you guys live in NYC?
I live about an hour and a half away from NYC and it's one of the safest big cities in America.

Currently, though, I live in a city with a population of about 55,000. It's not bad at all.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM

322 posts, read 903,072 times
Personally, if I were young and single, I think it would be awesome to live in NYC. I wouldn't move there now b/c a) it has a very high COL and b) it has this thing called winter. People always say that Alaska is safer, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. We have crime in Fairbanks. Some people might leave their cars and houses unlocked, but I don't. People get stuff stolen out of their vehicles in downtown work parking lots frequently. This is also the only place I've ever lived where random strangers thought it was okay to just come sit in my front yard and drink booze.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Personally, if I were young and single, I think it would be awesome to live in NYC. I wouldn't move there now b/c a) it has a very high COL and b) it has this thing called winter. People always say that Alaska is safer, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. We have crime in Fairbanks. Some people might leave their cars and houses unlocked, but I don't. People get stuff stolen out of their vehicles in downtown work parking lots frequently. This is also the only place I've ever lived where random strangers thought it was okay to just come sit in my front yard and drink booze.
I got to see NYC a couple months ago. Was awesome. Husband took me there on a Sunday when traffic was down. Down, yeah right, lol, still was traffic and the streets were filled with tourists and those that live or visit there. For a young person who wants to really get ahead in the career world (whenever the recession ends that is), it would be a great place and very exciting. Rents are another thing. When they can find apartments they are very tiny and very expensive unless one has big bucks to spend.

My husband use to have to travel to the city (NYC), they call it the city there (those that live outside the city limits), daily for work. It got to be a real grind and hassle. I could not imagine commuting there daily. Great place to see but would never want to live there.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
People always say that Alaska is safer, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.
You are correct, Alaska is not safer. You are more than twice as likely to be raped in Alaska than in either NYC or Los Angeles. On a per capita basis, Alaska has far more violent crime than NYC.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Funny, kittymama, but I was just thinking before I read your latest take on extreme winter that I could handle a place like Austin ... if I was young and single. Guess there aren't as many hellfire Baptists there as you'd find beyond the city limits, at least, but those weeks on end of 98-degree days would wear me down for sure.

Well, most Southern-born women are total wimps when it comes to weather, but nobody can give you cr@p about that now. I always thought it was funny when they'd say New York was a no-go because of the winter there. It's nothing here! Seriously, it's way milder than, say, Boston with its nasty winds, earlier sundowns and endless wait for spring ... and certainly not nearly as cold as Chicago.

When I go upstate for a few days, I'm always amazed by how balmy it feels when I step out of the car back in the city. Up there, it's another story! First freeze in late Sept., first snow in mid-Oct., regular dumps by mid-Nov., and if I don't get the driveway plowed regularly, by Xmas it becomes a frozen, chest-high pile that can't be breached till late March or April.

Luck in Texas. Like driving through them bluebonnets in the spring ...

Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM

322 posts, read 903,072 times
I've been able to find both hellfire Baptists and extremely liberal, open minded people in everywhere I've lived. I've lived in some extremes. In Oklahoma, I went to a Baptist University, but was still able to find liberals. In Boston, the bluest of the blue states, I still managed to meet a couple of fundies. Here in Fairbanks, one hellfire Baptist church even has a prominent sign that exists for the purpose, as far as I can tell, to tick people off and make them not want to visit, since it always gets letters to the editor. Yet, I know plenty of liberals in Fairbanks as well. All I'm saying is places might get a "reputation" but you can find everyone everywhere these days.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl93 View Post
THIS IS NOT A BASHING THREAD.

I live in new york city, and I realize it takes a certain type of person
to live here..the same I believe accounts for any place, including alaska.
But ofcourse my curiosity caused me to start this thread because I really
want to know how you make do with the winters,etc.etc It gets cold in
nyc, but nothing i bet like alaska. what do you think the cons and pros are
of living in alaska? One of my closest friends is thinking of spending a year
there with her company and asked me if I knew anything, and ofcourse me
never having gone there had nothing to say, so hoping to learn more

Thanks guys
How about this? God, I love this picture... the views are worth the -30 temps! Oh, the hair was gone before I got here I did it AGAIN! This is CROSSFIRE600

Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
How about this? God, I love this picture... the views are worth the -30 temps! Oh, the hair was gone before I got here I did it AGAIN! This is CROSSFIRE600
Was gonna say something about that Varmit...was going to ask if you were stressed lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska