Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Head to AZ; we've got heat to spare!
If AZ would not tax my retirement pension I would move there. Just kidding

Anyway, I would not mind retiring in AZ, maybe somewhere Northeast (are there hills up that way?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:12 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Anyway, I would not mind retiring in AZ, maybe somewhere Northeast (are there hills up that way?).
Flagstaff used to be pretty nice. I think it's getting pretty big now.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
Quote:

Here's a little blurb about NE AZ:
Northeast Arizona is arid, largely free of greenery, and characterized by hills, mesas, buttes, cliffs, and canyons. The windy stony plains of the Petrified Forest National Park exhibits parts of the barren colorful Painted Desert as well as preserved Native American petroglyphs. Northeast Arizona is also home to the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest and Four Corners Monument.

Here's a little blurb about Flagstaff:
Flagstaff is a city in the U.S. state of Arizona, surrounded by mountains, desert and ponderosa pine forests. It’s a gateway to the San Francisco Peaks, home to Arizona’s tallest mountain (Humphreys Peak) and the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort. Nearby, Wupatki National Monument has Native American pueblo sites, and Walnut Canyon National Monument is dotted with their cliff dwellings.

I am in the Valley of the Surface of the Sun--on the outskirts of Phoenix. Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle...I'm melting...what a world...what a world...

Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM

I wanted to go to NAU when I was a kid, but I couldn't afford out of state tuition, so I ended up at Humboldt State with my sisters. I had a lot of family in Flagstaff back then. Sometimes I think I should have gone anyways, and wonder in what ways my life would now be different.

Thinking about it makes me miss the desert and the smell of the sagebrush.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:20 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I wanted to go to NAU when I was a kid, but I couldn't afford out of state tuition, so I ended up at Humboldt State with my sisters. I had a lot of family in Flagstaff back then. Sometimes I think I should have gone anyways, and wonder in what ways my life would now be different.

Thinking about it makes me miss the desert and the smell of the sagebrush.
A couple of my coworkers have retired and bought homes in AZ, where they spend a few months during tyhe winter, then return to Alaska during the summer.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:39 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
I miss 90 degrees ):
Through 2012, Fairbanks had only seen 14 days of 90 or above in 109 years.

I wonder how many they've seen in the last four years?

Average number of 80 degree days per summer is 11.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
A couple of my coworkers have retired and bought homes in AZ, where they spend a few months during tyhe winter, then return to Alaska during the summer.
My friend's dad does that, but he got really sick last spring and still hasn't been able to come home this summer. His winter place is outside of Phoenix, but he had to go recover in Detroit at his sister's house. Can you imagine getting stuck in Detroit? Ugh.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:58 AM

460 posts, read 609,324 times
Went down to Quartzite AZ one week in Jan., saw 3 AK families that I knew.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Lol, that's funny

Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
We tried Arizona in 1997. We lasted almost the entire month of June before giving up on the dream of being roasted nutz. I guess us short, well insulated folks aren't built for that kinda heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska