U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 AM

47 posts, read 117,729 times

Advertisements

I would like to know opinions of what it's like living in Tok. I am interested in buying some land and building my retirement cabin. Small and very energy efficient. I'm from Alaska myself, so it's not a pipe dream as many from the lower 48 have. So information on this place I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
Right now, smoky.

I find Tok generally unobjectionable, heavy tourist traffic aside.

What makes you interested in Tok in particular? I feel like if I had my pick of interior towns that weren't in a borough, and didn't have to take work or family into account, I'd probably look at Delta or Nenana first...both are more conveniently located, and arguably in prettier settings.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 AM

1,916 posts, read 2,405,867 times
You best make that retirement cabin really snug-the coldest temp I ever experienced was in Tok at -62F.

And the folks there can a bit quirky. I used to service the copiers in the school district and the people never disappointed me for entertainment. My favorite was an argument between 2 ladies in the office over whether rabbits crossed north of the highway in the morning and back in the evening or just crossed at random and I thought they might be taking the discussion to the parking lot.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,566,629 times
When it's clear the sky is amazing.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:22 AM

I really like the solitude of Tok. The caribou herd that is in the area, good hunting. The water is second to none. The price of land is actually pretty good, even though it is also waaay out there, not to much swamp land. You have a lot of options I believe living in such a place. I prefer the cold, if it gets to cold I can always stay in. I hear there is some good fishing. Definitely good ice fishing. Also it's not to far to go for the salmon in the copper river. Lots of areas to venture out into and explore.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:46 AM

When was the last time you were here? I don't think "solitude" is the word I'd use...it's pretty well overrun with RVers a good chunk of the year.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
You best make that retirement cabin really snug-the coldest temp I ever experienced was in Tok at -62F.

And the folks there can a bit quirky. I used to service the copiers in the school district and the people never disappointed me for entertainment. My favorite was an argument between 2 ladies in the office over whether rabbits crossed north of the highway in the morning and back in the evening or just crossed at random and I thought they might be taking the discussion to the parking lot.
Ha! Sounds about right.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
Two words: Delta Junction.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:30 PM

I have been there several times, during all seasons. I know about the tourism that runs thru Tok. But a few miles outside on a few acres I think would be great. But, that's why I'm on here throwing out the questions and asking everyone's opinions. Delta junction, only been there a couple times. Don't know much about it, rice me, can you elaborate on your contribution?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:58 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,566,629 times
Tok and most of us who drive have a relationship. Young's Motel and Fast Freddys and the gas station. All reasonable in any season..and you're right short away from the "town" is a peace and an openness which I found to be captivating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska