Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 14,294 times

Advertisements

Thanks for letting me know about the timing of the licenses. I wondered when they were offering the 6 month temporary permit. I have the app, it does appear a lot of info and cooperation required. Still waiting for the fingerprint card. Spoke to someone in Anchorage Monday eve and they were going to mail it Tuesday. Any input on how long it takes USPS to deliver mail to the continental 48? The Rav4 is all wheel drive, not sure if that's good or bad, but it was mentioned in an earlier post. I need to get a passport since we'll have to drive through Canada to get to Alaska? Or is there some type of "ferry" that can get us from Inside Alaska to SE Alaska? I really appreciate all of your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,298 times
My wife is a RN (originally from FL of all places) and we first came up here for a travel nurse job she took in Wasilla/Palmer several years back. You should maybe consider taking a travel job there at first. You're only committed to 13 weeks, you get higher pay, provided housing (or a generous housing stipend), and you almost always get offered a full time position if you're any good. Then you're in a better position to negotiate jobs/shifts/pay having already worked at the hospital. Just something to think about. Anyways, good luck.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
They're building a new SEARHC hospital here that's slated to employ about 80 people. Supposedly, anyway -- I think the project may be on the back burner for now due to budget cuts. Anyway, there'll be jobs if it comes to pass.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-21-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire1959 View Post
Any input on how long it takes USPS to deliver mail to the continental 48? The Rav4 is all wheel drive, not sure if that's good or bad, but it was mentioned in an earlier post. I need to get a passport since we'll have to drive through Canada to get to Alaska? Or is there some type of "ferry" that can get us from Inside Alaska to SE Alaska? I really appreciate all of your responses!
USPS should get it there in less than a week.
The AWD Rav4 should work great.
Yes, if you are driving you'll need a passport. No handguns into Canada and no DUI's/felonies on your record.
You can take the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham, Washington to Juneau. From there you would take the cross-gulf ferry from Juneau to Whittier. The cross-gulf ferry only runs once or twice a month and you'll need reservations ahead of time.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
USPS should get it there in less than a week.
The AWD Rav4 should work great.
Yes, if you are driving you'll need a passport. No handguns into Canada and no DUI's/felonies on your record.
You can take the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham, Washington to Juneau. From there you would take the cross-gulf ferry from Juneau to Whittier. The cross-gulf ferry only runs once or twice a month and you'll need reservations ahead of time.
And if you do take the Alaska Marine Highway, make sure you spend a little time in Bellingham and maybe even take a ride up Chuckanut Drive. What a lovely place.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Definitely get your passport. It will be much faster and cheaper to drive up. If you have any firearms at all, I would recommend getting them up there by some other means than through Canada. Pistols are prohibited and long arms require prior permission. Don't be surprised if AR and AK type rifles and their magazines are not allowed. I don't believe ammo is allowed either, if just transporting.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:15 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Definitely get your passport. It will be much faster and cheaper to drive up. If you have any firearms at all, I would recommend getting them up there by some other means than through Canada. Pistols are prohibited and long arms require prior permission. Don't be surprised if AR and AK type rifles and their magazines are not allowed. I don't believe ammo is allowed either, if just transporting.
Ammo is allowed. Even pistols can come through but there is some restrictions on it. "Assault" rifles aren't allowed.

I think the ammo limit is 500 or 5000 rounds. It's quite a bit.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 14,294 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you. So much good information! Thanks for the info on the weapons and ammo. Will check on when the cross-gulf ferry runs. Also doing a google map to calculate driving time. Hoping to have a phone interview sometime next week, if all goes well, should be making a trip for formal interview and "site-seeing." So looking forward to it. Temp here today at 8A was 80. High is 96 with feel like temp 105-110.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM

256 posts, read 452,961 times
I've lived in Florida for 8 years. Mostly around the Jacksonville area, and do not blame you for wanting to move somewhere cool.

As others have said, our economy is tanking, but will start turning around. Since you're in the medical profession, finding a job will be easy and secure.

Now would be a good time to buy a place up here. With the economy tanking, I've seen some good deals.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:17 PM

63 posts, read 68,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
I've lived in Florida for 8 years. Mostly around the Jacksonville area, and do not blame you for wanting to move somewhere cool.

As others have said, our economy is tanking, but will start turning around. Since you're in the medical profession, finding a job will be easy and secure.

Now would be a good time to buy a place up here. With the economy tanking, I've seen some good deals.
In what cities specifically have you seen good deals on housing/falling prices? Its my understanding that in Anchorage and Fairbanks the housing market had plateaued at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska