U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

Florida RN looking to move to Wasilla, upon being hired. Rat Pack and PODS dont move you to Alaska, not sure if I want to drive with a small Uhaul, yes from Florida, drive a big Uhaul and tow my vehicle, or sell my vehicle and buy another one once I get there. Currently driving a Rav-4 and would like to stay with a SUV for Alaska. Looks like it's probably easier, less stressful, and possibly cheaper to "start over" once I get there. Looking to buy a "summer home" in Alaska and keep the Florida home as a "winter home" once retired, so a real win-win in my opinion; move there work until retirement. Is there anyone who may be looking to take a Uhaul to NE Florida? Perhaps we can work something out as it appears will have to make round trip. Husband going to assist with move and can drive or fly back to Jacksonville. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 AM

6,393 posts, read 2,452,329 times
You might want to read the first post on this thread before moving to Alaska:

Looking to Move to Alaska? Just DON'T

Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,554,450 times
Hold off on the move until you have a job secured... Our economy is in the bucket right now due to the drop of the oil prices.
Is your RAV-4 all wheel or four wheel drive? Just because it's an SUV doesn't make it a good vehicle for the snow. It's all about traction.
Have you visited Alaska? What caused you to pick Wasilla? I live in Wasilla and think it's a good place to live. But I think you'd want to visit first before dropping down a chunk of change on a house.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
I don't know about PODs and all that, but before anyone jumps on the OP for moving up without a job, read the first sentence in her post.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:31 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,263 posts, read 765,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know about PODs and all that, but before anyone jumps on the OP for moving up without a job, read the first sentence in her post.

Must spread rep.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:52 PM

6,483 posts, read 13,110,504 times
I pulled a uHaul trailer one way from Memphis to Soldotna in 2014. I doubt that there's a round trip requirement.

uHaul is by far the cheapest way to get your belongings to Alaska. I would buy whatever car you need in Florida (much cheaper than Alaska) and sell all your large belongings - beds, couches, large mirrors, etc. Pack up most of your clothes (leave some summer stuff), your mementos, and small gadgets - kitchen ware is especially expensive up here. Not sure about pulling a uHaul trailer versus driving a uHaul truck & towing your car. Both are somewhat difficult but there really is no easy way to move to Alaska.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 AM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire1959 View Post
Florida RN looking to move to Wasilla, upon being hired. Rat Pack and PODS dont move you to Alaska, not sure if I want to drive with a small Uhaul, yes from Florida, drive a big Uhaul and tow my vehicle, or sell my vehicle and buy another one once I get there. Currently driving a Rav-4 and would like to stay with a SUV for Alaska. Looks like it's probably easier, less stressful, and possibly cheaper to "start over" once I get there. Looking to buy a "summer home" in Alaska and keep the Florida home as a "winter home" once retired, so a real win-win in my opinion; move there work until retirement. Is there anyone who may be looking to take a Uhaul to NE Florida? Perhaps we can work something out as it appears will have to make round trip. Husband going to assist with move and can drive or fly back to Jacksonville. Thanks for your input!
Having driven from ATL, GA to Seattle area for a barge trip, I'd recommend selling everything but what will for in the back of your vehicle and starting all over once you get to Alaska.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 7,324 times
Thanks for the input everyone, I am not moving UNLESS I get the job!! Just determining if it is feasible to accept a position if offered. Don't want to tell them yes and then change my mind because I can't coordinate it logistically!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,846,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire1959 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, I am not moving UNLESS I get the job!! Just determining if it is feasible to accept a position if offered. Don't want to tell them yes and then change my mind because I can't coordinate it logistically!

Mat Su Regional is constantly advertising for nurses. You will have no trouble finding a job in the Wasilla area.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:42 PM

196 posts, read 201,848 times
There are many nursing jobs all over Alaska, you won't have a problem finding one. Heck, we got travelers where I'm at not more than two years out of college. Wee bit scary but true. If you are really considering it, get after getting your license here. I'm told its now taking like 3 months to go through the process. I'm in the SE Alaska area and work in a small hospital, which both myself and wife enjoy. We worked in Anchorage for several years like 16 years ago and loved it there then-wouldn't want to be there now! We enjoy the slower pace and town here. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska