Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

We want to visit, but after reading about Alaska and the TV shows I want to be sure we bring enough guns to protect ourselves.

What do locals carry?

I was thinking my 1911 .45 for in town and a .44 Redhawk for outside or hiking. Or should I get something bigger? .45-70 or .500?

Also do people prefer ARs or shotguns. Should you carry an AR in places like Anchorage considering all the crime? I was thinking a .308 AR and a 12 ga.

Also do gizzley bears attack if you go fishing? I don't want to have to fight them for my fish, or get mugged by some drugged out criminal in the forest or cities.

What about Nome? Is it safe there? Everyone on that gold digging TV show seems crazy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:11 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Bazookas. Big giant bazookas at all times, all places. Ten of them at once. Rawr.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Bazookas. Big giant bazookas at all times, all places. Ten of them at once. Rawr.
I read this forum on occasion, especially when I see subject lines like this! You guys are funny. I'm sure many of you must keep a template to reply to crazyposts.
My laugh for the day, thanks!

Op I have never seen a reality show about Alaska, but I certainly would not put any stock in it.

Where are you living now that would make you believe that all locals anywhere "carry", especially in the cities "with all the crime"? I love when people refer to "carry" or "concealed carry" as if it is a new fangled life option.
I don't watch tv, or news so I have a feeling it is a newly coined buzzword (yes I know it is a real thing, and that people use it now). The difference to me is that in the past it was just called having a gun on you.

Alaska is huge, betting not many on a percentage "carry" in the way you refer to. Except maybe when fishing, hiking? I mean hunting. Sigh
PLEASE read about safety in bear country. Unless you have an AR, and a bear license, nah... Even then PLEASE about safety in bear country.

AR in town o.m.g. Really? you are going to (try to) kill someone for mugging you with an AR? Have you thought about the size of the gun, and how you would get to it to use as protection, against muggers or grizzlys? I have never used an AR, but have never seen one used except in movies for protection, and then only by characters who have it out and sited. Not with gloves, and parkas on?

Nevermind I am going to keep laughing this morning. Sorry for butting in on this forum, but you guys really do have the best sense of humor here.

ETA if OP wrote to be funny, I get it. But... I read posts like this occasionally here, so it just seemed like another serious crazypost.

Last edited by simplepeace; 07-24-2016 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Took OP literally

Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We want to visit, but after reading about Alaska and the TV shows I want to be sure we bring enough guns to protect ourselves.

What do locals carry?

I was thinking my 1911 .45 for in town and a .44 Redhawk for outside or hiking. Or should I get something bigger? .45-70 or .500?

Also do people prefer ARs or shotguns. Should you carry an AR in places like Anchorage considering all the crime? I was thinking a .308 AR and a 12 ga.

Also do gizzley bears attack if you go fishing? I don't want to have to fight them for my fish, or get mugged by some drugged out criminal in the forest or cities.

What about Nome? Is it safe there? Everyone on that gold digging TV show seems crazy.

Thanks.
I don't live in the US and I do not have the right do carry guns but people in Germany also begin to think about arming themselves for obvious reasons. How will a long rifle help you if someone stabs you in the back or shoots you from a window in an ambush or in any other unexpected situation, still you're talking about the US, not Somalia. There is a gun section in this forum, I would ask there which weapon is most suitable for self defence and which for the outdoors, since you already have a .45 why not stick with it? I am afraid in this thread you will only be ridiculed.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:12 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
well, first off, if you are driving up here do not bring the guns through Canada or the border agents will show you their guns.

This is really one of those "if you don't know we can't help you" kind of questions. A 45 won't help much with a bear and is only marginal with a reality TV camera crew. I have heard stories of hapless people wounding a cameraman or an editor only to have them stalk you to the ends of the earth, to wreak their savage revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXKeQ5qFwo

Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
This is really one of those "if you don't know we can't help you" kind of questions. A 45 won't help much with a bear and is only marginal with a reality TV camera crew. I have heard stories of hapless people wounding a cameraman or an editor only to have them stalk you to the ends of the earth, to wreak their savage revenge.
Personally I think the danger of reality TV crews is overstated. They generally avoid conflict unless you come between them and their subjects, or surprise them with a plotline that doesn't fit their scenario. Wearing a bell to make them aware of your approach may be sufficient.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 AM

125 posts, read 183,755 times
Oh man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the paranoia and ridiculous nature of this post and just plain humorous.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:18 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Could OP possibly be serious? Either way, it makes no difference.

Grizzlies? They may share some fish with you. Then again, maybe not. It's best not to shoot them, as that just makes them very angry.

OK,moving on to Nome: No, it's not safe there. Lots of rapists and eco fascists.

Chances are, you'll either be nailed or jailed.

Doesn't sound very inviting, does it?

Try Canada instead. They'll welcome you and your guns with open arms. The more the better, so bring your entire arsenal.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I'll be kind and I'll answer the original question. My preferred carry pistol is a Glock 23. Fairly easy to conceal and it holds 13 + 1 rounds of .40 S&W. I also carry two spare magazines, giving me 40 chances to neutralize any threat. In bear country, I prefer a tactical shotgun with slugs.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
In bear country, if traveling with a companion a .22 should be sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska