Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 05:03 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Especially in Fairbanks!
Alaska has one of the most expensive and worst health care facilities in the nation. I posted the link to it somewhere in this forum.

This article is about how expensive it is:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...macare/489599/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Message from Amazon Customer Service about something I ordered months ago:

Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry that the estimated delivery date for this order is not displaying properly in Your Account.

If I relate it to myself I can completely understand how frustrating and annoying the situation can be when something like this happens but believe us it was never our intention. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

To make thing right for you, I personally contacted to our shipping department and give them special instruction to fix the inventory for this product and make sure to deliver your Package as soon as possible and I kept a note to our Inventory department to find the route cause for this.​​

I feel It is important and hence have passed on your experience (as a feedback) to my managers. I’m positive that this will be taken care on priority. Thank you for bringing your experience to our notice.​

Please be assured that we are here to make things easier for you and we'll take every action to prevent you from bearing any loss.

I realize this experience hasn't been as positive as you'd hoped, but I hope you'll consider this an isolated incident and give us another chance in the future.

Rest assured, we’ll continue working hard to ensure that you receive accurate service, and to minimize the chances of anything like this occurring again.
ffs. Route cause.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Heh. At least that suggests it's not a form letter?

Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Alaska has one of the most expensive and worst health care facilities in the nation. I posted the link to it somewhere in this forum.

This article is about how expensive it is:
The Lessons of Alaska's Faltering Health-Care System - The Atlantic
Interesting article.

On the other hand, we seem to be a fairly healthy state.

"..2015-Marking its fourth appearance since 2008 on the top ten list, Alaska secured the number one spot for the very first time.

..The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index uses a holistic definition of well-being and self-reported data from individuals across the globe to create a unique view of societies’ progress on the elements that matter most to well-being: purpose, social, financial, community and physical. It is the most proven, mature and comprehensive measure of well-being in populations. Previous Gallup and Healthways research shows that high well-being closely relates to key health outcomes such as lower rates of healthcare utilization, workplace absenteeism and workplace performance, change in obesity status and new onset disease burden.."

Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Interesting article.

On the other hand, we seem to be a fairly healthy state.

"..2015-Marking its fourth appearance since 2008 on the top ten list, Alaska secured the number one spot for the very first time.

..The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index uses a holistic definition of well-being and self-reported data from individuals across the globe to create a unique view of societies’ progress on the elements that matter most to well-being: purpose, social, financial, community and physical. It is the most proven, mature and comprehensive measure of well-being in populations. Previous Gallup and Healthways research shows that high well-being closely relates to key health outcomes such as lower rates of healthcare utilization, workplace absenteeism and workplace performance, change in obesity status and new onset disease burden.."
I wonder is such polls include the health status of individuals in the rural areas far from the three major cities? For example, alcohol and drug addition happens in the city all the time. But in the villages or areas where people live "off the grid," the health situation does not seem to be good for a great number of people. But everywhere, specially in the cities, obesity with its associated medical problems is taking a toll on Alaskans.

Just on the news recently:
Southwest Alaska village sees 3 overdoses, one fatal, in a few hours - Alaska Dispatch News

Per capita Alaska has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. Perhaps this could be considered mental health?

Something else I found:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/1...tes-in-us.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-21-2016 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Ray, it was just a nonscientific poll that was conducted by telephone. It really means nothing.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray, it was just a nonscientific poll that was conducted by telephone. It really means nothing.
Thanks, Met for the clarification.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:36 PM

Here's something that provides real numbers.

The Most (and Least) Healthy States: A Survey of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Thanks, Met for the clarification.
"Means nothing". "Oh, OK".

Really? How can one possibly come to that conclusion? Feeling well has to have some meaning, even if nominal.

It would be interesting to compare individual's well being assessments with those of health care professionals on these same populations.

It's likely that folks would tend to overestimate the strength of their health, and under report obesity.
Still, people would probably be mostly honest about any conditions they suffer from, and everyone likes to complain about the health care system when given a chance.

The Street article indicated we're quite low for cardiovascular disease and diabetes compared to other states, and those are two of the biggies.

BTW, The CDC doesn't agree with your fan club:

"Well-being is a valid population outcome measure beyond morbidity, mortality, and economic status that tells us how people perceive their life is going from their own perspective."

Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 AM

It means nothing with regards to the quality of health care in Alaska, which is what the discussion was centered around. The people who answered the phone when the survey was conducted may well have a higher sense of "well being" than their counterparts elsewhere who participated in the survey, but there doesn't appear to be a parallel between that and the quality of health care in the state. Factors such as the average resident being fairly outdoorsy, the physical nature of a great deal of available jobs, and perhaps even the propensity of many residents to go Outside for health care rather than trust the local quacks also certainly play a part. There probably also aren't many people moving here who have serious health conditions or to retire. It's also a bit difficult to take a telephone survey on well-being too seriously in light of the cold hard numbers of Alaska's suicide rate.

The fact remains that the substandard quality of health care in Alaska as well as its prohibitive costs is a major con for many residents and something that everyone considering relocation would be wise to take into consideration.

I pretty much agree with this guy; health care is bleeding the state dry.

How health care costs are bleeding Alaska dry - Alaska Dispatch News

Quote:
The health care industry is sucking the life out of Alaska's businesses and state government. Slowing this massive wealth transfer of medical bills and insurance premiums is among the toughest economic problems we face.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-22-2016 at 12:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska