U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 AM

203 posts, read 258,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat_driver View Post
Which brings me to another question, what is it like visiting these old believer towns? I have read they are ok to visit as long as youre respectful and Ive read that visitors are unwelcome. I would like to check at least one out but not if its going to be uncomfortable or awkward.
there are people on facebook that sell homemade russian food. You could buy some good homemade goodies and pick it up at the village and get your tour from a local. They make good piroscki.
Look up Homer buy,sell,trade. on facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,653,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat_driver View Post
Which brings me to another question, what is it like visiting these old believer towns? I have read they are ok to visit as long as youre respectful and Ive read that visitors are unwelcome. I would like to check at least one out but not if its going to be uncomfortable or awkward.
My experience is that if you have a reason, however tenuous, for going you are welcome, but if you are just going to gawp or whatever, not so much. I personally have never felt unwelcome, but I am a Russophone so that's probably an advantage.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 PM

22 posts, read 12,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
My experience is that if you have a reason, however tenuous, for going you are welcome, but if you are just going to gawp or whatever, not so much. I personally have never felt unwelcome, but I am a Russophone so that's probably an advantage.
Thanks for teaching me a new word. Im not afraid to sound dumb. I googled "Russophone". Im guessing that does have its advantages. We will see when we get up there I suppose. Im guessing we will be too busy to make a trip but you never know. Maybe save it for the next trip after.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Well, we just got back from our trip. It was a success. Found housing for the kids and now we just have to find housing for us. Wife and I loved it and looking to join them in '17 or '18. Never made it to any Russian villages but picked up a few things from the farmers market on Wednesday. Missed the pirosckis though.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:17 PM

If anyone would like to share tips on buying in the area, please send me a DM. All input is appreciated.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 PM

2,515 posts, read 2,143,604 times
Ahh, glad you had a good trip! The farmers market is really great for a town it's size, or any size for that matter, too. Hopefully you patronized also Alice's Champagne Palace as well...

For tips for buying I'd only add to have the kids feel the different areas out for a while. They'll know a lot more in even a few months. And make sure you get a bay view when you buy.

Homer is a pretty cool town. If I wasn't such a permanent fixture up here I'd think about wandering back down there. Glad you enjoyed and keep us updated.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Yes, very good trip. We never made it to the Chsmpagne Palace but we ate at the Little Mermaid (eventually, after making reservations) and the owner gave my daughter a POC at the champagne palace. Another USCG wife. She also said if she ever feels detached or lonely to stop by the coffee shop they're opening up next to the Ulmers. Very nice of her. Food was great too. We did do some driving around and after staying in AP and fishing out of Ninilchik, I think I would be looking somewhere off east end rd in Homer but I heard much past Fritz Creek the winters are a little more....wintery. The views though...... Hard to find a place without a view but some are definitely better than others. Hopefully it works out sometime next year but it may be '18. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of properties available, so that's good. Already found a good summer job when I come up

Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Oh and 6.7, if not in Homer, where are you at now?

Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Going back

Reviving a thread that wasn't really popular to begin with, but we're heading back to Homer in July for two weeks to visit the kids. Wife wants to look at property...again. I am not concerned with summer work but winter work is another story, unless we spilt where we live. I am aware of the sportfishing industry (my prior background) in the area and have already made a few contacts, but I was wondering about any fed govt or ship captain jobs in the area of Homer (my current field) that may be in the area. Im doubtful on the fed jobs but possibly some year round captain work may be around? Im still young(ish) at 35 (in case the kids thing seemed to show otherwise) and wouldn't mind starting a new job, but the one I have now (Southern CA) is pretty decent and it would be less about a money move and more about being close to family/start a new adventure.

Ill be sure to post some pics this time too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or