U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 10,704 times

Advertisements

I was originally going to name the post "IM MOVING TO ALASKA, I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY!" just to generate some views but thought better of it. So anyway, hey all, we just booked our little family trip to Homer for the end of Aug to scout rental properties for our kids. Our son in law just got orders for the USCG Hickory, so he and our daughter will be moving there by 1st of October. Was just curious, besides the obvious Craigslist, any tips for finding rentals in and around Homer once we get there? Also, please feel free to add how hard it is to find good work up there, as my wife already wants me to quit my job and move up there with them. I know they are looking for something close to the base without a long commute (he has been commuting 1.5 hours to his current base the last 2 years). I have heard about drugs etc. in Anchor Point, but not sure how that would compare to the stuff we see around here in SoCal. Also had seen a few places around Fritz creek. Not sure exactly what information I am expecting but if you dont ask.... Thanks in advance guys/gals

Jordan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,869,133 times
You're like Robert Deniro in Meet the Parents scouting rental properties out for your daughter and son in law . I'm kidding. Homer has a slightly tight rental market at the beginning of summer but you'll probably have better luck this time of year. Also being CG , they shouldn't have a problem finding a rental. There's at least one property management company in town as well as a homer facebook rental group if you want to widen your search from CL.

They definitely don't want to live in Anchor Point. The only reason to live there is if you are buying property and looking for cheaper prices and larger parcels. Otherwise anyplace in Homer is pretty nice.

Fritz Creek is maybe 8-9ish miles down east end road and maybe 15 mins from downtown homer.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 AM

Ha, Id like to take credit for being that caring as to make a trip just for that reason but the truth is the wife and I really want to go check out AK and it fits my work schedule. I will definitely look for the FB page and get in contact with any rental places I can see in town. Hope Anchor Point isnt THAT bad, cuz thats where we found our airbnb lodging. Im sure we'll survive a few days. I really appreciate the reply and info, thanks again.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,869,133 times
Anchor Point isnt bad per say, especially for a visit. There are really nice homes right on the bluff with inlet views and some nice places in the top of north fork road with amazing views (definitely drive the entire north fork road loop on a sunny day while staying in AP). It's just that's it's farther out of town for day to day living and commuting, and doesn't have the views or "vibe" that homer does. I would feel plenty safe enough if I had to live there but I would want to be saving a hefty amount on rent to make the commute into homer worth it.

Anchor Point is more of a collection of a dozen or so businesses along the side of the highway than an actual town, and will use Homer for a lot of it's basic services. Almost a backwoods "suburb" of homer if such a thing was possible . It sometimes gets a bad rap from people in Homer, but I've found really nice as well as super crazy and wacked out people there. Just like the rest of Alaska.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Understood. Thank you, that paints a much clearer picture than anything else I have read on the area. Actually, Anchor Point has been brought up more by my wife, as in , "hey, look at how cheap this property is?" Not "How cheap this RENT is?". She has been dropping hints of moving there for awhile now. I hope this trip doesnt end up biting me in the *****. If she falls in love I may never hear the end of it, which is why I was hoping to do this trip in the winter! I think she is worried about her daughter (my step) being alone (in a new place) when her husband is offshore, plus we have 2 young ones that are going to miss her. I have been reading up on the drive from ANC to Homer and it sounds wonderful. Can you really spot Dalls and Beluga from some of these points along the route? Any must see stops along the way?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:50 PM

203 posts, read 247,679 times
I live outside Homer towards Anchor Point. If you are going to rent stick to Homer or real close. The drive out to the spit is 15- 20 minutes. If you are thinking at all about buying a place check for good water, septic drainage and check for noise from a neighbor with trucks or a dog team kennel. East end road has a lot of fast traffic and lots of turnoffs. Plus the water is hauled in at most places.

My wife saw me posting and said this about Anchor point. "Well they have a trooper post there and you don't have to deal with the Homer police"

Welcome to Homer!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
I live outside Homer towards Anchor Point. If you are going to rent stick to Homer or real close. The drive out to the spit is 15- 20 minutes. If you are thinking at all about buying a place check for good water, septic drainage and check for noise from a neighbor with trucks or a dog team kennel. East end road has a lot of fast traffic and lots of turnoffs. Plus the water is hauled in at most places.

My wife saw me posting and said this about Anchor point. "Well they have a trooper post there and you don't have to deal with the Homer police"

Welcome to Homer!

Thank you, all good info. I have heard about the water being bad or needing to be hauled in. Thats for the majority of Homer or just off East end road?

Are the Troopers better to deal with than HPD? haha

I dont think anyone is looking to buy just yet, and I personally would rent for awhile just to have ample recon time but thats just me. Again, thanks for info!

Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM

203 posts, read 247,679 times
If you drive any time on the spit you will know about the HPD the 25 mph area coming off the spit is a good money maker for them.
Homer is on city water for the most part. East end road is mostly hauled.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 AM

174 posts, read 131,203 times
Driving on East End Road out of Homer is one of the most scenic places on the Kenai Peninsula road system. Once you arrive towards the end of East End Road you will find yourself in Russia.

Last edited by 1984; 08-17-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Which brings me to another question, what is it like visiting these old believer towns? I have read they are ok to visit as long as youre respectful and Ive read that visitors are unwelcome. I would like to check at least one out but not if its going to be uncomfortable or awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska