U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Greetings Homer Folk! I am currently stuck in Central America, trying to figure out how to get out and get someplace secure back in the US. I am an elder woman displaced due to a number of factors, looking to get back home to the States but having given up everything I no longer have a place to go home to! Homer has been suggested because it fits a number of my preferences such as Pacific Ocean, milder climate (after the equator, almost anything is cold!!!) Eco-minded, sustainable and organic gardening lifestyles, small town walk-able community. I hope a few of you you can speak to this as it has been said "my tribe" is there in Homer! Not having been there, I don't know, but I will be making another "blind" move as I don't have options for visiting first (often these days, a "perk" of single, elder women's lives!)

What's the public transportation in and around town? (trolly? bus? Tuk tuk? donkey carts? Bicycle taxis? Taxis?) and What is the cost of such, generally?
I have an Emotional Support dog, (miniature poodle) with me and I think that's not a problem with renting but anyone have something to say on that issue? and about a dog about town generally?
What about Naturopaths, Chiropractors, Acupuncturists? Yoga, Tai Chi, Mexican food? Whole Foods or other Natural/Organic Food stores? community Gardens?

I've heard contradictory reports on the weather/snow fall. Living in town, are there times when it's too heavy to walk in? or go out in? Does it get too cold to walk outside comfortably? Statitics are saying there is a huge homeless teen problem in Homer .... is that right? And what is the attitude on Cannabis in Homer, generally?

Under the circumstances I will need help with housing and getting established. A small SS pension is all I have. Do people often rent rooms with house privileges in their homes? It was impossible to ever get off the wait list in my area of California (part of why I left for less expensive, 3rd world, expat adventure ), I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the Section 8 process from a first or second hand perspective? Or any of the Senior housing options or other low income rentals? I don't have a car (anymore) and would love to live in town where walking will suffice for most days and most activities.

Thanks for any input .... I know moving to Alaska from Central America sight unseen seems crazy but .... that's what time it is in my life! 3rd World living is not for me it turns out, so looking for a soft landing back in the US where an aging woman can live gently and hope to make friends and a fulfilling life.
Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM

6,285 posts, read 10,887,730 times
You won't be moving to Homer without a more substantial income. I hate to be blunt but their is not a tribe their waiting to take care of you unless you have money to share. Maybe you should look into a place that has a larger social services network.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,154 times
Uhmmmm.... wasn't looking for a tribe to take care of me .... a tribe of people that think and believe like me is what I mean .... organic gardeners, sustainable community, spiritually aware, holistic health minded .... No?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,521,189 times
Consider Eugene, Oregon, instead. I think it probably has more of what you want.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleecee View Post
Uhmmmm.... wasn't looking for a tribe to take care of me .... a tribe of people that think and believe like me is what I mean .... organic gardeners, sustainable community, spiritually aware, holistic health minded .... No?
No, independent folks.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM

5,486 posts, read 5,535,751 times
I believe your limited income will be too much of a burden to overcome to move to Alaska. Just like everywhere else the demand for assistance far exceeds the supply of assistance for people in need. It is highly unlikely you will find enough help, or even any at all, to make moving to Alaska work.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:38 PM

742 posts, read 468,295 times
Communes went out of style long a go. Try California.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 PM

2,056 posts, read 964,469 times
Quote:
Yes, or so I've heard. It's unfortunate that you're not getting more local input, but it may be in limited supply here on CD. Of all Alaskan communities, it's probably nearest to what you're looking for. Juneau may also be close.

Check out Homer's climate data online, with their average monthly highs and lows. "Cold" seems like a better word than "mild" to describe it. But if you're dressed appropriately, being outside for awhile shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think their snow cover on streets and sidewalks would ever be too deep for walking because the average annual snowfall isn't huge, as you would find in places such as Valdez or Whittier.

As others have suggested, coastal locations further south would probably be more suitable for your needs.

If I were in your shoes and looking for such an enclave along the Pacific, Oregon would get my first look.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
Quote:
What's the public transportation in and around town? (trolly? bus? Tuk tuk? donkey carts? Bicycle taxis? Taxis?) and What is the cost of such, generally?
No public transportation in Homer other than taxis. You could try calling them to find out rates: | Taxis | Homer Chamber of Commerce

Old 08-22-2016, 04:17 PM

Here's a link to the City of Homer and their services. As said above there is no city bus service. Taxi, bicycle, feet, thumb or your own car.

Services A to Z | City of Homer Alaska Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska