U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 AM

11,764 posts, read 17,956,916 times
Actually Met couldn't you have it canned into a tin of salmon & shipped to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,550,748 times
What's it made of? It won't set off an alarm unless it's made of metal. Remember that you only go through security once each way, so if your first leg is out of Ketchikan or Juneau or whatever, they aren't going to search you unless you're a minority, disabled, or don't look suspicious in the slightest.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,575,495 times
Oh I think other stuff sets off their "search alarms" but what that is I don't know. I'm not a minority, don't look suspicious or anything, but when they see my uncommon first name on my ID, they do the body search....every flippin time....

Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,550,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Oh I think other stuff sets off their "search alarms" but what that is I don't know. I'm not a minority, don't look suspicious or anything, but when they see my uncommon first name on my ID, they do the body search....every flippin time....
Last time I went through flight security, I was in a wheelchair right after my bike accident. Can you say field day? All the other passengers in line were grumbling and saying mean things to the security officers, like "pick on someone your own size"...

Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,134,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
and Alaska Airlines got the worst ratings for "lost" baggage and items.
I blame Menzies

When I was coming to school they forgot to put my bike on the plane, and when I went home for Christmas break it took half an hour in Seattle to get our luggage. And this is a 37 seat aircraft I came in on

Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,477,068 times
Oh those lovely little 'NSA Lovenotes'....got two of them. They opened not one, but BOTH of my bags when I traveled to Arkansas about three years ago. Polite little devils, yes I must say. Rather neat too. Everything was folded and placed back in the bag, and not one thing was missing. Then again, there wasn't anything to 'find' in the first place!

Not sure I'd venture checking in that pipe. I do believe I'd do as the others have advised and ship it to yourself. I would think the odds would be much better.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 PM

50 posts, read 97,183 times
Brings back "fond" memories of my last trip via air. My dad had died and mom wanted him buried back in VA. So we flew there to take care of the arrangements and when we were done and flying back home, I was going thru the security checkpoint and the first security guard looked at my license and sent me on my way. The guard standing behind her said, "Whoa...wait a minute. Lemme see your license." So I went back and handed it to him. He literally stood there looking at it for about five minutes- turning it over and over. I said, "Is there a problem?" He said, "Well, we don't see many Alaska licenses up here; I'm just making sure it's legit." I said, "Well, you're gonna see two in one day, because my husband (who was behind me in line) has one too!" Of course, I was then "selected" for a more thorough search....Sheesh!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:11 PM

15,941 posts, read 15,521,853 times
Those idiots took my Philosophy lotion.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,477,068 times
Hmm..that doesn't sound like any kind of 'security' search, that sounds like 'sticky fingers'.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM

334 posts, read 840,116 times
Ditto on shipping. I moved to and from AK and shipped things back USPS with insurance and tracking on each box. As far as I remember, everything arrived just fine, and if it doesn't, then you can track exactly where it stopped. Be sure to bubble wrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska