U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 AM

19,829 posts, read 25,910,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I priced that a couple summers ago and it struck me as pretty expensive. It would be an interesting trip though. Maybe someday.
I guess expensive is relative. It didn't strike me as such, especially since it's a little less than half the cost of the AMS, which was my whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,333,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I guess expensive is relative. It didn't strike me as such, especially since it's a little less than half the cost of the AMS, which was my whole point.
Actually, the Canadian inside passage trip from Hardy to Rupert is more expensive than AMHS inside passage Rupert to Juneau or Haines.

It's the Bellingham to Rupert leg that is so expensive, and when that is added in then yes, Bellingham to Rupert or Haines is more expensive than breaking up the trip Vancouver to Port Hardy to Rupert or Haines.

Last edited by Blind Cleric; 10-05-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM

19,829 posts, read 25,910,670 times
That was my whole point, that it would be an all-around less expensive trip than taking the AMS from Bellingham. I don't recall making any claims that it was less expensive than taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines, although it only seems to be a couple of bucks more provided you want to forget about getting a stateroom, which I wouldn't advise. Just an FYI -- during the off season, that particular ferry fare is quite a bit lower than the one from PR to Haines.

Anyway, to the OP -- the Canadian ferry to PR actually does run during the fall, winter, and spring. The fares are kind of hard to find on the official site. You can find them here:

http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares.../BCF_Fares.pdf

Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
.. I don't recall making any claims that it was less expensive than taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines, although it only seems to be a couple of bucks more provided you want to forget about getting a stateroom, which I wouldn't advise. ..
Right, the BC ferry from Hardy to Rupert is a day trip while the Alaska ferry is not. This is partly due to the faster speed of the BC ferry, and also because it doesn't make stops (or does it?) en route, while the Alaska ferry has stops when travelling through SE.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,219 times
Thanks again everyone for advice. I think we're going to take the opinion there's no rush to get resident requirements vs being better prepared for the move. Also the previous owner left without winterizing so we're buying it with busted pipes so I guess that's the only concern for not being there in winter as it is well built....unless I'm missing something....also for that reason it would be hard to rent out.

Definitely going to take Prince Rupert ferry if we don't drive the whole way.

Someone (meta?) Suggested driving to Haines instead of Skagway is that due to the mountain pass? Is there similar pass into Haines? Which was pretty scary during the summer with dense fog.

Also any advice or brand for a heat source, they took Toyo or woodburning stove with them. I've looked at Lowe's\home depot in say $1,000 price range or we heard soapstone is the way to go but alot pricier. For say a 1,600 sqft should I be looking at 60,000 or 80,000 or talk to a professional once we are there?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidog View Post

Someone (meta?) Suggested driving to Haines instead of Skagway is that due to the mountain pass? Is there similar pass into Haines? Which was pretty scary during the summer with dense fog...
No, it's because driving around to Haines via the Alcan to Haines Junction is probably a faster way to go, depending on how your progress matches with the ferry schedule out of Skagway. And of course, you'd avoid the ferry fees this way.

Check out a route map and you'll see.

Yes, both routes have summits that can be foggy.

This is what you'll see in the high valley of the Haines highway on a nice day. Make that, an especially nice day.
Attached Thumbnails
Veteran moving to Haines now or summer? Ferry or drive-haines-highway0001.jpg  

Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 PM

16,073 posts, read 26,798,073 times
Buying a house with busted pipes? Does it get that cold around Haines?

Anyway, the repairs can be expensive in Alaska depending on where the pipes that froze are located at. For example, usually the water and heat pipes are routed though the walls along the insulation, just behind the sheetrock. The pipes must be exposed in order to inspect them and make the appropriate repairs; it means that the sheetrock is removed, and any wet insulation is replaced.

My coworkers and I have done this type of work for many years, and most times we end-up pressurizing the pipes and watching for air leaks (we watch the pressure drop on a gage).

As far as I remember there aren't any Vet hospitals, other than in Anchorage, and Bassett in Fairbanks. Maybe there is one in Juneau?

Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 6,219 times
RayinAK can you give me a ballpark price range your talking about. We get the inspection tomorrow were told there isn't visible water damage so it could be a pipe in the crawl space.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,248,544 times
Well if the pipes are already busted and the water is now off, not much else should be able to go wrong by leaving it alone for the winter.... Except maybe a two or four legged predator snooping around. I'd also be slightly concerned about mold if there was a water leak, and have the inspector check thoroughly for that as well.

I was a plumber in a previous life. It could be anything from a $10 simple fix to a complete re-pipe and everything in between. If you do have to re-pipe, PEX piping is your friend and is fairly doable DIY project if you're handy. The company I worked for could sometimes completely re-pipe a house for as little as $1500, especially if there's a big crawl space with lots of room down there. Most of it is labor cost as PEX is pretty cheap. I've also been on $5k+ re-pipe jobs, as well as a $15k one when the customer insisted on replacing with copper pipe.

Hopefully, there's already PEX piping and it's a simple couple hundred dollar fix at most. I'd get multiple quotes up here. PEX is also nice because it can expand quite significantly when it freezes before it breaks so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Why anyone would leave a house up here without winterizing it, is beyond me. At least drain the water lines and shut the water off. We used to add antifreeze and blow out the water lines with an air compressor as well.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

..As far as I remember there aren't any Vet hospitals, other than in Anchorage, and Bassett in Fairbanks. Maybe there is one in Juneau?
There's a Vet clinic in Juneau at the prominent Federal Building downtown. For Calidog, the closest care may be the SEARHC clinic in Klukwan. Klukwan is about 20 miles out of town, so fairly close to the new place.
I think they see Vets whether they're native or not, but don't know for sure.
Of course, both of these clinics are likely to be quite limited in their services.

And yeah, Haines can get plenty cold enough to bust pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska