U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:47 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Not impossible. But I got intrigued by the pervasive greenery and the cool-looking stairs everywhere. So I got curious about the non-tourist side of things.
Juneau is just as green, with lots of steep streets and staircases in the downtown area. I agree that it would most likely be a better fit for you.

About the price of salmon: No way you will find fresh King, Sockeye or Coho for $5/lb fresh. It will be double that, or more, right from the boat or in the local supermarket.
You must be getting east coast farm fish, which isn't comparable in quality or taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 05:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 1,734,296 times
Go to YouTube and in the search box, type the words "Ketchikan, Alaska". There's a bunch of videos about Ketchikan that will come up. Probably enough to tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Ketchikan.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:00 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
You might also consider Seattle if you're actually looking for relocation choices rather than just Google daydreaming. Plenty of green in more ways than one, and parts resemble picturesque fishing villages. Maybe I'll move there myself.

If I wanted access to fresh Alaska seafood without catching it myself, I'd live in Seattle.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:29 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times
Quote:
Good replies so far. Well, mostly. Now, how about this question: How would someone like me fit in there? Namely, single man, 30-something, atheist (but quiet about it unless directly asked). Also, a Latin dance scene would be nice, since it's good for meeting women; is it any good in Ketchican?

The salmon part is really nice; I like fish. Is it cheap there, or pretty much the same as in Lower 48? Which is about $4.99 a pound, slightly less during salmon season. And being Jewish (culturally), I always enjoy good salmon, like on a bagel or baked with a lemon pepper dry rub.

Keep in mind that these questions are largely hypothetical. As my name suggests, I like urban environments, and Ketchikan isn't that big. Plus, I need my ethnic food fix, and shorts and T-shirt weather at least 3 months out of a year. (Chicago has the food, but I had to wear a jacket in June multiple times.) Also, how good is the IT job market in Ketchikan? Any good? Doesn't matter which industry.
You ain't getting the same quality fish for $4.99/lb.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,257,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Juneau is just as green, with lots of steep streets and staircases in the downtown area. I agree that it would most likely be a better fit for you.
How so? Is it simply the fact that it's bigger, and therefore more likely to have a Latin dance scene and/or acceptance of atheists, or are there other factors at play? It's farther north, so its climate might be a little bit cooler, but probably not by much.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
How so? Is it simply the fact that it's bigger, and therefore more likely to have a Latin dance scene and/or acceptance of atheists, or are there other factors at play? It's farther north, so its climate might be a little bit cooler, but probably not by much.

Right, a bit colder but not much. Summers may even be better in Juneau, with less rain and wind. The downtown area is warmer and wetter than the official weather statistics would indicate, as they're tabulated 9 miles north at the airport. The airport area temperatures are influenced by the Mendenhall glacier nearby. About 2 to 3 times as much snow in Juneau compared to Ketchikan though.

Regarding religious behavior, the SE communities I'm familiar with tend to have a large number of churches, given their populations. Mormonism is quite common in Juneau, don't know about other places. That said, I don't see you having a problem locating fellow atheists, such as myself.

Juneau is 4 times the size of K town, as some call it, and of course also the seat of state government, which would lend itself to more IT opportunities, I would imagine. There's also a healthy arts scene there, for such a relatively small community.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
... Worked outside on the ramp for Alaska Airlines. ..
You too, eh? Is that how you got the stiff neck? I worked mostly behind a counter, but two years on the ramp in Juneau. Back then, many of the fish boxes we loaded were 100 pounders, as I'm sure you remember.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,257,728 times
Those who said that Juneau might be a better fit for me, I think you're right. I saw photos, and Juneau looked more similar to the dense urban environments I liked. I know I saw lots of high-rises (that are dwarfed by the tree-covered mountains behind them). It even had the same greenery I liked in Ketchikan; no stairs functioning as streets, though.

Of course, all cities have their drawbacks. For Juneau, it'd be lack of connection to the state road system. And while traveling by sea is a fun experience, it's not as cool and romantic when do it because you have to.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Ketchikan has the same lack of connection to the state road system.

If you decide to visit either city, I'd suggest doings so in May or Sept. Cruise season isn't in full swing at either time, so you get its benefits the completely overwhelming crowds (such as open stores and restaurants).

I'd be really surprised if Ketchikan had any sort of Latin dance scene.

People ask me all the time why there isn't a large selection of local seafood in supermarkets. That's because you can't sell corn when everyone has a corn field in their back yard. There might be some here and there, but as someone noted, it'll be much more than $4.99 per pound.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times
Quote:
Those who said that Juneau might be a better fit for me, I think you're right. I saw photos, and Juneau looked more similar to the dense urban environments I liked. I know I saw lots of high-rises (that are dwarfed by the tree-covered mountains behind them). It even had the same greenery I liked in Ketchikan; no stairs functioning as streets, though.

Of course, all cities have their drawbacks. For Juneau, it'd be lack of connection to the state road system. And while traveling by sea is a fun experience, it's not as cool and romantic when do it because you have to.
Did you miss Ketchikan's lack of connection via road in your google search?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or