U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times

Advertisements

By the way, Ketchikan only has stairs in a very small section, and they function more as driveways than as streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM

6,908 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
You too, eh? Is that how you got the stiff neck? I worked mostly behind a counter, but two years on the ramp in Juneau. Back then, many of the fish boxes we loaded were 100 pounders, as I'm sure you remember.
Too many fish boxes too remember. And the halibut boxes cause back then they were larger then fish boxes. 100 pounders and then some. And then throw in some urchin boxes had to be handled with kid gloves cause they were so delicate. In a weird way it was fun but you hated it at the same time.

And frustrating. FedEx sent there small packages in big bags. The UPS small stuff was loaded in the belly individually. When the wind was blowing 50 and the rain coming down sideways all those little UPS packages would just get blown off the belt loader and down the ramp. After the pits were unloaded and the jet pushed back then we'd go gather up all the rain soaked packages that were stuck in the fence. For years we waned to unload that stuff differently but our Lead wouldn't let us. said it was a UPS problem.

But the flight benefits made it worth it.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:26 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,257,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Did you miss Ketchikan's lack of connection via road in your google search?
I knew that. But it somehow seems more "normal" for a regular small town to lack such a connection than for a state capital. They're planning an access road for Juneau, though.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:48 PM

295 posts, read 158,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Go there and visit. Then all your questions will be answered.
Wow! What a great, helpful reply!
Actually it's a stupid, boring waste of space reply

Old 10-23-2016, 01:56 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
Wow! What a great, helpful reply!
Actually it's a stupid, boring waste of space reply
Just out of curiosity, why is Stiff or anyone else here obligated do this guy's research for him?

It wasn't a bad reply, actually. There are some things you just can't know about a place unless you visit.

I don't have anything against the OP (except he's starting to remind me of someone), and I think he has a sincere interest in Ketchikan, but he's not going to move to Ketchikan. It's understandable why people wouldn't want to invest too much in a reply when someone's only curious but won't be moving.

BTW if the road to Juneau gets built, most people will still travel in and out of Juneau via plane or ferry. The road isn't in a location that will serve too many people, especially business travelers.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-23-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 02:55 PM

341 posts, read 353,433 times
Lived in Ketch. a long time ago for a few weeks as a cannery rat. Rained alot. "If you see the mountain, its going to rain, if you can't see the mountain, it's raining" Have gone back there several times for a couple of days at a time and now like it because I can afford a hotel. Not great when its raining and you are sleeping in a plastic bag so you don't get wet.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Now you know what it's like. It's full of very unhelpful people!

Bahahaha! But funny ones!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I knew that. But it somehow seems more "normal" for a regular small town to lack such a connection than for a state capital. They're planning an access road for Juneau, though.
You have quite a bit still to learn about Alaska. The SE portion of the state may be the most scenic and each community is unique. Keep googling, until you get there for a visit.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,604,065 times
Millennial Urbanist, did you see my reply above, and click on the links I gave, to the previous forum thread on Ketchikan?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:50 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
.. They're planning an access road for Juneau, though.
Very unlikely it'll ever happen. Too expensive, too destructive, too politically divisive and too few people would be served.

From today: Empire Readers' Council Editorial: Alaska can't afford "The Road" | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or