Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at Google Street Views to pass time, and really liked what I saw in Ketchikan. It just looked so scenic and beautiful, almost like a historic fishing or shipbuilding village. I especially liked the stairs everywhere, which function as streets, almost. Not to mention, everything looked so green. And since the trees are mostly conifers (evergreens), their nice appearance remains year-round. A very pleasant contrast to Chicago, where the only greenery you see in winter are street name signs. The seasonal temperatures in Ketchikan aren't too shabby, either; both summer and winter.

But I'm sure people who live there accept these things as very normal, and pretty much tune them out. Much like Miami residents aren't too fazed by the palm trees and the beaches. Plus, the elements I liked probably have a dark side to them. Like, for example, cruise passengers who come there in the summer, but enjoy the city in a rather superficial manner, and don't always spend money in local restaurants, since the food on their ship is free. Or the frequent heavy rain. Or the inadequate public transit, like in many small cities in the US.

So what's the daily life in Ketchikan like? It's probably not as cool and romantic as the impression I got from Google, but I'm genuinely interested in learning about it. Is it pretty much like in most American cities (get up, work, home, TV, sleep), or are there elements unique to Ketchikan? (To illustrate an example, one other city I'd imagine would have it own unique lifestyle is New Orleans.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Go there and visit. Then all your questions will be answered.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I like Ketchikan a lot, but many people make the wrong assumption that mild temps = mild weather.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Now you know what it's like. It's full of very unhelpful people!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchikan,_Alaska

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alas...ketchikan.html

Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Ketchikan is known as the salmon capital of the world for its good fishing. Their school teams are called the Kayhi Kings, named after king salmon-the best tasting fish there is.
Rainiest town over 5,000 people in the US, at approximately 155 inches a year.
Relatively mild winters with little snow, not quite what you expect in Alaska. Temps in the 30's to low 40's and blowing rain is not exactly pleasant, however.
You must take a short ferry ride to access the airport.

I've had brief visits several times but have never lived there, so can't comment on the social scene.
I imagine life there could be pretty good, though it wouldn't be my first choice of a place to relocate in SE-or my second either.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Good replies so far. Well, mostly. Now, how about this question: How would someone like me fit in there? Namely, single man, 30-something, atheist (but quiet about it unless directly asked). Also, a Latin dance scene would be nice, since it's good for meeting women; is it any good in Ketchican?

The salmon part is really nice; I like fish. Is it cheap there, or pretty much the same as in Lower 48? Which is about $4.99 a pound, slightly less during salmon season. And being Jewish (culturally), I always enjoy good salmon, like on a bagel or baked with a lemon pepper dry rub.

Keep in mind that these questions are largely hypothetical. As my name suggests, I like urban environments, and Ketchikan isn't that big. Plus, I need my ethnic food fix, and shorts and T-shirt weather at least 3 months out of a year. (Chicago has the food, but I had to wear a jacket in June multiple times.) Also, how good is the IT job market in Ketchikan? Any good? Doesn't matter which industry.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-22-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 11:24 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Now you know what it's like. It's full of very unhelpful people!

This sort of thing is one of the reasons why some of us don't bother anymore. ^^^

It's easy to get the sort of Wiki-style info that's been posted here, and I'm not going to Google something for someone who could easily do it himself.

It's easy to think the weather is mild until you've spent the fifth day in a row slogging to work when it's blowing sideways. In June. You'll wear plenty of jackets in June, July, August, and the rest of the year. The winters may look mild on paper, but I actually prefer winters in Fairbanks because at least you see blue sky.

No idea what the price of local salmon is, and I'm in the salmon business. The commercial catch doesn't go to the local market. Most people in Ketchikan catch it themselves, so that's something you could learn to do.

No idea of the IT market, and I doubt anyone here can provide any first-hand info on that.

Personally, I think Juneau would be a better fit for you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-22-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Personally, I think Juneau would be a better fit for you.
Not impossible. But I got intrigued by the pervasive greenery and the cool-looking stairs everywhere. So I got curious about the non-tourist side of things.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I lived there for 7 years. Worked outside on the ramp for Alaska Airlines. If you were serious about moving there I'd answer all your questions. But since you're not your just wasting peoples time. With that said everything else you want to know for curiousity sake can be found using Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska