Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,299 times

Advertisements

So I am a travel nurse and headed up in 2 weeks for a 15 week contract. I am very excited about seeing this area and have most things figured out--- but I am sure there are things that maybe I should know??

Any advice on things that are a must to bring and those that can be left?

Should I stay over a day in Anchorage on the way and do some shopping??

I would appreciate any information on things that I should make sure and do or see as well--- I will have 7 day off stretches and want to travel around a bit--- but also really want to see the immediate area.

I have ice skates---- should I bring them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:00 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Fancypants View Post
So I am a travel nurse and headed up in 2 weeks for a 15 week contract. I am very excited about seeing this area and have most things figured out--- but I am sure there are things that maybe I should know??

I would appreciate any information on things that I should make sure and do or see as well--- I will have 7 day off stretches and want to travel around a bit--- but also really want to see the immediate area.

It's raining right now, and rain in the forecast the next few days. We haven't had any snow yet. Bring a few layers of clothing for the endless wind we have here. Don't forget to keep your mind open.

We do have a few places to shop. You'll be on Alaska Air coming to Bethel, they do have two free checked 50# bags when you're flying in Alaska. Get a tote or two and fill it up with the dry goods you love to eat.

The lakes are freezing up pretty good now, but with the warmer weather that might melt away. A few friends here have those skate blades that attach to cross country boots, they're having a ball right now.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Fancypants View Post

It has been over 40 years since I lived in Bethel but I doubt if a lot has really changed.

Given when you will be there you will learn what really cold is. Bethel is very windy. You will want to bring winter clothing with you as it will be very expensive to buy in Bethel. As warptman has already stated you will want to be able to dress in layers. You also need to be sure what you wear covers you well. This includes your face and neck and head and arms and ankles and everywhere else. As I said it is very windy there. You will want to buy quality clothing. Buying a $29 pair of no name boots or a cheap coat does not cut it. I would suggest you contact your workplace in Bethel and see what they suggest to bring for clothes. By the way, have I told you it is very windy there?

I would suggest you layover a day or two in Anchorage. Do whatever shopping you weren't able to do before heading to Alaska.

If you have a digital camera you will want to bring an extra memory chip or two.

If you like ice skating by all means bring your ice skates. With all the wind there the lakes get polished all the time.

In case I forgot to tell you, it is very windy there.

You will want to make friends while you are there. That will vastly increase your opportunities to get around on your days off. I am guessing high school sports are still popular. You might want to go to a basketball game or two.

Keep in mind it takes a while to get something you order and have sent by mail. Not sure how Amazon is for shipping. Back in the day items shipped by parcel post took about 6 weeks to arrive.

As already said...Be sure to come with an open mind. Many people never get past the shock of how different things are compared to where they lived and are miserable until the day they head back out of Alaska. Get to know the people and the area and despite how windy it is you will have a great time. And, once you head back South and you hear someone complaining how cold it is you will just smile.

One last thing. It is very windy there.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
By the way, have I told you it is very windy there?

In case I forgot to tell you, it is very windy there.

One last thing. It is very windy there.

Just a tad windy....Tuesday: A slight chance of rain and snow before 11am, then rain. Areas of fog before 2pm. High near 44. Southeast wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

We do have a Movie Theater with two screens now and a Swimming Pool/weight room.

There is a Subway here that's Almost Fresh. No other fast food places but we do have a bunch of restaurants here.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Just a tad windy....Tuesday: A slight chance of rain and snow before 11am, then rain. Areas of fog before 2pm. High near 44. Southeast wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

We do have a Movie Theater with two screens now and a Swimming Pool/weight room.

There is a Subway here that's Almost Fresh. No other fast food places but we do have a bunch of restaurants here.
When I lived there the movie theater only had one screen. And like most places, no plumbing.

The closest thing to fast food was a hot dog stand a lady would operate out of an old trailer by the river bank during the summer time.

All of us kids that rode the school bus would get sent home early several times a winter before the road drifted over

Old 10-27-2016, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,396 times
Do you mind if I ask how you found a place to live up there? I've been offered a job, but I don't want to accept it without securing a place to live, and I've filled out the form on the Kreider rental website but no one has gotten back to me. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-27-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex13 View Post
Do you mind if I ask how you found a place to live up there? I've been offered a job, but I don't want to accept it without securing a place to live, and I've filled out the form on the Kreider rental website but no one has gotten back to me. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!
Born and raised. Bethel Native Corporation also has an online application for housing, but the waits is long.

Napakiak Corporation has around six rentals here, might want to give (907) 589-2227 a call to see if any of them are available.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:56 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

Regarding Bethel gastronomy, is there any dish that might be particularly good or hard to find elsewhere? Example: The king salmon might be bountiful there, or there is an edible fish, plant, animal, etc. unique to the area, the laws allow the native American population to hunt and cook something the average citizen would not be able to, etc...?

I see you posted another beautiful shot of the Aurora on the picture thread, but state Bethel never gets any Aurora directly overhead. Does the constant wind play a role in this?

Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Regarding Bethel gastronomy, is there any dish that might be particularly good or hard to find elsewhere? Example: The king salmon might be bountiful there, or there is an edible fish, plant, animal, etc. unique to the area, the laws allow the native American population to hunt and cook something the average citizen would not be able to, etc...?

I see you posted another beautiful shot of the Aurora on the picture thread, but state Bethel never gets any Aurora directly overhead. Does the constant wind play a role in this?
None of the restaurants sell fish to consumers. The kings haven't really been running as strong as they normally do, but they are restricting on how many you can keep. Anyone can go fishing for them, we are in a subsistence area.

We're pretty far south here in Alaska to get overhead Aurora. But the past few nights we've had them overhead, but we're in the fall storms from the Northern Pacific. Another storm hitting tomorrow bringing rain and high winds. Should be a fun day.

No snow yet or any temps below zero yet, and not too far under 32 degrees yet. It's been a warmer than usual fall.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
I think the lights have been insane all over for the past several days, so I'm not surprised that you all got a show down in Bethel. I have been able to see clear arches and bands overhead (not on the horizon) between 7-730 for the past three mornings, which is usually way too late for the lights to be out. This morning it looked like a green rainbow slowly curling itself around the crescent moon. It was hard to focus on the road. Good thing the roads are clear and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska