U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:03 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post
Yes, I can see you're right about the Kenai peninsula. That was the original area we had focused on for our "first stop", but I definitely don't see it as being bush living. Maybe remote enough, as someone was saying about caribou lake, but not what I meant when I said bush living. I'm still learning so much, probably even my own definitions of terms is evolving though, lol.

I think i would be looking at north and east of anchorage for what I was envisioning as bush living, but not north slope. And there very well may not be many communities out there, that's what I'm trying to learn about. If the list is short, I would absolutely love and appreciate some names of places to start researching! I've got a few floating in my head: nenana, McCarthy, chitna (I think that's it), wiseman, eagle, McGrath, Manley hot springs, ft Yukon. Basically, im going off the dots on my milepost map and the couple of tv shows I follow, lol.

I think one of the things I'm looking for, that I was thinking "the bush" would supply, is that "end of the road" location. No one driving past our place on their way to their place. No close neighbors (for me, that means a mile or two away). No "town" for 10-30 miles. And the whole vibe and honestly, the challenge, of being far enough out, where it's significantly easier to stay out there than to "run to town". Now you are very likely right that I can meet most all my lifestyle goals on the road system, and it's very possible I can find a place that would meet my version of remote too. Researching the different specific "towns" will help me figure that out. I don't really think I'll get that kind of remoteness around homer, not unless we went off the road system.

We absolutely will be keeping a very solid chunk of cash available for Plan B, lol! That's simply not negotiable. We have no desire to come up and freeze to death in the bush the first year, nor to be stuck up there because we failed to save a few grand for getting home (that's a rough figure, don't blast me)!
You ain't thinking of Bush then. You are thinking of rural.

It doesn't matter that your definitions are evolving. Bush is off road.
SOmething to think about is, that no matter how much cash you have, it won't save your from freezing to death in the bush. Cash requires other humans with extra things to sell, to really work. Let's say I had $400k in cash laying around and I was living in the bush. SOmehow my heating fuel falls over and a fire starts and my wood pile goes up as well. It's -20F and getting colder. The weather isn't that good. You call in for help. It takes 3 days before the weather clears enough for flights, only problem is that it is to cold (yes, flights sometimes can't fly b/c it is to cold). It's another week or so (I've lived in a village and we once went 3 weeks with no flights).You freeze to death, with $400k in cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If $20k is a no-way, what would be a maybe-it'd-work? Would you be comfortable giving me expense or budget categories, especially areas you think I'm likely to overlook or underestimate?

I'm not trying to be obstinate, I'm just trying to gather info. I don't really want to insist that there are many off-road communities, I'm more hoping for an estimate, like if you say you can only think of 5, that tells me a lot. Please don't think I don't respect your experience and knowledge, it's the reason i post and read this forum! If you say there's only 5 or 10 or whatever that you can think of, I'll accept that as a highly accurate estimate, and get to researching them. I'll probably know pretty quickly if there's any point in continuing researching any of them, or if I'll be most likely living outside a road-town, lol.

When I throw out an assumption, it doesn't help me much to say I'm way off base, and it'll never work. It helps me tons to give me factual details, so I can learn where my assumptions are wrong, by how much, and what the real situation is. Then I can start framing new, related (but probably still wildly incorrect) assumptions and questions. :-). I haven't yet come up with any better way to research from down here, although as in all areas, I'm open to concrete ideas and suggestions!
McGrath is a hub for the Iditarod Area School district. That district covers an area the size of the state of Ohio. There are approximately 200 students in 7 schools. None of the schools are connected to a road.
The largest village in that district is McGrath with 300? people (I think at one point it was close to 1k people, but might have been 600) and the smallest would be Takotna with about 40 (though I think that is high).

That is what you are looking at. There are many reasons villages are shrinking, and there are not many people in the bush. Most of the land is truly inhabitable for humans.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,857,047 times
The private land market for nice pristine acreage with no neighbors and at the end of a nice little road 30 miles away from a nice little town, is actually quite slim pickings. There's suprisingly little private land for sale that meets your criteria and suprisingly little amount of rural private land for sale in general

So the problem with your recommendation list is that there could be little to no private land for sale in the area. You would almost have to find the land you want first and go from there. Land with no neighbors around for miles and within reach of a little town, just really doesn't exist.

Also end of the road locations, sometimes attract end of the road type people.

I think your original plan of Homer is better than your bush living idea. Homer is a great town with lots of cool stuff for the family to do from time to time. The land out by caribou lake is pretty dang remote by 99% of people's standards. There's also the caribou hills and many ATV/Snow Machine access properties which would be quite the adventure living out there with a family. You could also go across the bay and sometimes there's some properties for sale that would be water access only across the bay.

Then if anyone needs some extra cash, you could probably find some work and odd jobs to do for cash around Homer.

The best part? If one of your kids gets real sick at 1 in the morning? Homer actually has a fully functioning hospital to take them to.

Need more groceries? Homer has two grocery stores to restock supplies at.

Want farm animals for the homestead? Homer has many hobby farmers whom you can buy, sell and trade livestock with.

Going stir crazy in the small cabin with 4 kids? Homer has multiple bars.

Going stir crazy in the small cabin again during the long winter? Homer has lots of cool people to become friends with and do things with which is truly the best way to succeed up here. You need to have a good set of friends to keep your sanity and to socially interact with. Not too mention that said friends will help you learn things and provide inside opportunities that otherwise wouldn't be available...

I'm not trying to discourage your bush living dreams, but for all practical purposes a place like Homer makes more sense. Even if you settled for a measly 5 acres closer to town, you'd pretty much be able to do whatever you want gardening wise and it would still be plenty private enough. Then you give your kids the best of both worlds by allowing them to be socially well adjusted, while learning back to the land, hunting, gathering , gardening type Alaskan skills.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 PM

94 posts, read 68,678 times
I hear what you're all saying. I think that what I'm really looking for, or going to end up with, is the original homer plan. :-).

Maybe down the road get some true bush land and try our hand at seasonal living out there.

Okay, then, I wil step back into reality and focus my attention on budgets!

Thank you all for your help and your ever-lovin patience with me! Hopefully next year I can invite you all down to the salty dawg for drinks on me, haha!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I hear what you're all saying. I think that what I'm really looking for, or going to end up with, is the original homer plan. :-).

Maybe down the road get some true bush land and try our hand at seasonal living out there.

Okay, then, I wil step back into reality and focus my attention on budgets!

Thank you all for your help and your ever-lovin patience with me! Hopefully next year I can invite you all down to the salty dawg for drinks on me, haha!
Not on a 20k budget

Old 11-07-2016, 04:40 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
67's recent post is the best thing in this thread next to mine about how the shows are ****.

After you move, you may need the advice and assistance of people in the local area, and there will be times when what they say isn't what you want to hear. Telling them that their advice isn't helpful may come across as rude and entitled, so try to keep in mind that not every person will have a complete answer to your questions. Alaskans like to be helpful, but they shut that down pretty quickly when they get the sense that their efforts are pretty much scorned.

There are many online resources available. The Alaska extension service has hundreds of publications available on a variety of livestock, canning, gardening, etc. issues, and many of these are available online and are free. There are several Facebook groups specifically for sharing information about gardening, livestock, wildcrafting, whatever. These resources are easily found online, so I'm not going to make specific suggestions.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:29 PM

I will look for those. I actually haven't had much luck via Facebook, but I will keep trying different searches. And I hadn't thought of the extension office, but I should have!

I sincerely apologize if I came across as scornful, or unappreciative of the efforts to help. I do appreciate all the responses!

On a progress note, I chopped down my first tree today, lol! All by myself, lol! Woo hoo!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM

936 posts, read 724,506 times
It is my strong suggestion, and I'd be surprised if most locals here didn't agree, for you to come to Alaska and try to get by in a small road community for at least a year before doing what you are proposing. Please understand that Dick P. had a massive amount of skill, experience, and connections to do what he did (not minimizing it at all, he's awesome, but most people don't realize how much experience he had up to that point). Even living somewhere on the road system, like Delta, or slightly off, such as Seldovia, will tell you a lot about what you are going to need to know to do what you are proposing.

I'm quite concerned that you are living in SW Oregon with a power hookup and think that remotely prepares you for true Alaska remote living.

I won't be popular for pointing this out, but if you're part of the white nationalist survivalist network in Oregon, you need to realize that if you are in the Bush and need help, it's not white people who are around to help you. If that describes you at all (if it doesn't, please ignore this part), please do not come to Alaska. It's not for you. Our Native communities are wonderful and the last thing we need is a bunch of Oregon survivalists with posters of the Bundys on their walls thinking they can and should try to make it in remote Alaska.

ETA: If that last part does describe you, Homer is perfect as it's the whitest place in Alaska. But if that last part does describe you...please don't come here.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
I agree with this ^^^

Mizzile, I thought they might be wackaloon whitey preppers, too, but then she mentioned making some investments and having some income from them. Preppers believe that worldwide economic collapse is imminent and therefore don't invest. I think they might be Oregon hippies instead.

Quote:
a bunch of Oregon survivalists with posters of the Bundys on their walls thinking they can and should try to make it in remote Alaska.
Please keep in mind that the Bundys and their gang were not from Oregon. I was in that area last winter, and they didn't have much local support at all. Personally, I think the Alaska outback is the perfect place for that type because it'll get rid of them once and for all.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-07-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 12:30 AM

Um, guys, I can hear you. I'm right here. :-)

Let me just be candid, I've spent a decent amount of time today telling myself I'm just overly emotional this time of the month and getting all offended is stupid. You're trying to be honest and helpful, and I'm just getting my feelings hurt for nothing. And that may yet be the case, but I'll tell ya, it sounds like you're going to dislike me, or make fun of me, no matter what. If I'm into being a homesteader, well that's lame because you can't raise livestock in Alaska because predators. If I want to try and do some subsistence hunting and fishing, well I'm an idiot because obviously that means I think I can live off the land, and that can't be done. If I want to think ahead and plan something out, and god forbid I'm white, what, now I'm a wackaloo whitey nationalist survivalist with posters of the bundys on my wall and I must hate natives. Wow.

You know what, I don't know who you would want to be friends with, or nice to, or who you would like to see move to Alaska. Unprepared idiots who are going to die. Prepared racist survivalists, and from Oregon to boot.

My name is Tracey Hamilton Roberts. From the Wild West lawless town of cave junction, born and raised. Go google me, or Facebook me, or whatever if you're interested. yep, I'm white. Yep, I can food. Yep, I love venison backstrap. I shave my armpits, but I've been known to wear tie dye. I have a memorial cross with LaVoys name on it by my front door. Good heavens, block the border because I might sneak into your state and do what exactly, go live on a piece of land and try to raise chickens, goats, and kids?

What in the world is wrong with any of that?

I'd also be interested to know who you think the white nationalist survivalist network in Oregon is? Because based on that description, I don't think you know much about Oregon, particularly southern Oregon, or Oregon preparedness folks at all. Betcha I'm rolling my eyes at least as far back in my head right now as you do when you read my posts about wanting to live in the bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska