Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
MB one thing you need to think about living in the bush, is there will be no connections to outside world. It's different up here, than down south. You can always get in a car and drive somewhere, but up here, you can't.
She WANTS that. Doesnt want her kids exposed to the world. Good luck with that. Poor kids... this has all the makings of a disaster and it is a testament to alaskan politeness that nobody has called our her stupid threads until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 05:40 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This sort of thing doesn't matter to this type of person. They consider subsistence regulations just more of that pesky federal government overreach.

You forgot to factor in health insurance for a family of six. Oh wait -- that'll be on someone else's dime.
I didn't even want to factor that in my budget.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
She WANTS that. Doesnt want her kids exposed to the world. Good luck with that. Poor kids... this has all the makings of a disaster and it is a testament to alaskan politeness that nobody has called our her stupid threads until now.
She wants that I am sure, but I don't think she really understands it.

I can't tell you how many people I have talked with that moved into the bush. Despite all the truth I shared, they were still not fully prepared. Everyone of them, said, I thought you were exaggerating.

Sheesh. No. I don't exaggerate bush living.

One medical emergency will wipe you out.

Our medevac was $75K just for the flight. Not including the hospital bills, and the multiple return flights and two surgeries.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
John, she's a member of one of the more "out there" militias. Her group is preparing for a revolutionary war against the evil government. I suggest we encourage her in her quest to go into the wild.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Adding this to all your threads: "yep, , shes not ready. And if the finicum worship wasnt a joke, alaskans dont want them. Honey, weve listened to you on multiple threads throw around your crazy ideas and people have been super patient and helpful with you. You HAVENT EVEN BEEN TO ALASKA and are discarding the advice of those who live there. This reads like one of those "help we moved to alaska and now cant move back !" threads in the making. Note: if you cant even afford a scouting trip, you cant afford alaska. Alaskans: stop helping this woman, her family will just wind up another drag on your social services, all while whining about "big gubmint"."
Wait, never been to Alaska? Never been to the bush? Bahahaha lady let me tell you kiss your white privilege good bye! That's coming from a white woman. Do you think you're going to be warmly welcomed into a bush village? Please... Maybe if you are a teacher, but not as a drag on the village system. Don't get me wrong Alaska is great and I would love to move BACK one day, but it's not an escape from whatever you're running from.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:38 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post
Those are excellent things to think about! I hadn't thought at all about changing over winter tires, although husband will probably just keep them on rims and swap out that way. But still, another great thing to plan for!

Thank you!
Make sure you put the tires on their own rims otherwise its like over $100 for one change over so the rims pay for themselves in a couple of years considering you have 2 change overs a year. Plus taking tires on and off rims is harder on the tire and wears out the bead faster.

it is such a hassle getting good tires up here as it is no reason to wear them out.

I have Carliles Tacoma address as a permanent address on my Ebay/tires by web account because getting certain brands of tires up here is almost impossible (ie nokain, depending on your tire size).

Also most places can sneak in someone with rims but if you have to have your tires completely changed you could be waiting in line a long time and you don't want to prematurely put studs on when the majority of the roads are still dry but the crux is if you don't have rims and you wait you could be screwed because that's when everyone and their mom wants to do it too so you could be driving on ice with summer tires waiting to get in.

When you slide into the ditch because half of anchorage is on a wait list for tire change over without rims your going to be thinking that 500-600$ for rims is not so bad. Also if you have rims you can do it yourself in a pinch if we get a sudden snow storm and the roads turn to complete crap over night, that happened last nov and I did not have my studs on yet, but I put them on that day.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:45 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Wait, never been to Alaska? Never been to the bush? Bahahaha lady let me tell you kiss your white privilege good bye! That's coming from a white woman. Do you think you're going to be warmly welcomed into a bush village? Please... Maybe if you are a teacher, but not as a drag on the village system. Don't get me wrong Alaska is great and I would love to move BACK one day, but it's not an escape from whatever you're running from.
The amount of money they would have to pay me to set foot in a village would have to allow me to retire in extreme luxury in 2-3 years time frame.

BTW I don't think most white people have been able to cash in on white privilege for at least 3 decades now. Why do you think there is the proliferation of legal weed, without the privilege why not get high and watch it all burn.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 PM

94 posts, read 128,995 times
Metlakatla, would you seriously shut up? What the fish did I say that would give any impression of thinking subsistence regulations don't matter, or that I would violate them? Are you freaking unhinged? And what is all this crap about health insurance on someone else's dime? And boulder, do you think I'm mormon? I'm not. You guys are getting very weird with all the personal attacks and drama. This thread is about budgets and costs of things up there. It's not, "let's make up wild crap about mousebandit" thread. And boulder, do you even live in Alaska??

Good heavens. For the record, I have no intention of violating any freaking laws or regulations, never would have crossed my mind. I pay a crapload for health insurance now, and judging from what I saw on ehealth today, I will pay about 30% more up there. That sucks, but whatever. (I hadn't yet gotten quotes since nov 1st, though, so the psycho rant was a good reminder, thanks).

I'm all about data. I am not about drama. Anyone want to post about power bills, I'm interested. Costs of water getting hauled in or other discussions of water systems, oh yeah.

Anyone know if term life insurance rates can go up when we move up there?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
John, she's a member of one of the more "out there" militias. Her group is preparing for a revolutionary war against the evil government. I suggest we encourage her in her quest to go into the wild.
Metlakatla, you are truly nuts. Why do you just keep spouting made up crap? Have I wronged you in a past life? What is the matter with you? I am not preparing for a revolutionary war against the evil government, genius. I'm planning to move outside frigging homer. Would you please stop, or at least confine your psycho rankings to one thread? OMGoodness!

Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Make sure you put the tires on their own rims otherwise its like over $100 for one change over so the rims pay for themselves in a couple of years considering you have 2 change overs a year. Plus taking tires on and off rims is harder on the tire and wears out the bead faster.

it is such a hassle getting good tires up here as it is no reason to wear them out.

I have Carliles Tacoma address as a permanent address on my Ebay/tires by web account because getting certain brands of tires up here is almost impossible (ie nokain, depending on your tire size).

Also most places can sneak in someone with rims but if you have to have your tires completely changed you could be waiting in line a long time and you don't want to prematurely put studs on when the majority of the roads are still dry but the crux is if you don't have rims and you wait you could be screwed because that's when everyone and their mom wants to do it too so you could be driving on ice with summer tires waiting to get in.

When you slide into the ditch because half of anchorage is on a wait list for tire change over without rims your going to be thinking that 500-600$ for rims is not so bad. Also if you have rims you can do it yourself in a pinch if we get a sudden snow storm and the roads turn to complete crap over night, that happened last nov and I did not have my studs on yet, but I put them on that day.
Yes, that's what I meant, on a dedicated set of rims, so just bolt and go. Those are good tips, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska