U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 AM

94 posts, read 68,678 times

Advertisements

Getting down to some nitty gritty planning: the budgets.

Anyone care to share their monthly or annual budgets with me? I'm quite certain there will be entire categories of expenses up there that I've never thought of, lol!

Maybe include something about where you live, interior, western, kebab peninsula, city, village, etc. that will help me compare budgets. Oh and maybe tell me how many people in your family, and any details about any subsistence type provision, etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
The wife does the nitty gritty details of the budget, so I can't give you exacts. But here's somethings to think about:
Family member out of state dies: airfare to go down for the funeral. I had to miss my grandfather's funeral because I didn't have the cash at the time.
Higher heating & lighting bills in the winter. Why lighting? 'Cause it's dark most of the day.
Tire change overs: we just run all season. But lots of people switch over to studded for the winter. Either have your own tools or pay a tire shop for the changeover.
I live in Wasilla now, which is a modern urban paradise. But I grew up in logging camps in Southeast Alaska and on Afognak Island. Need a doctor or dentist? Boom. $$$ for a plane into town.
Shipping: almost always more expensive. Amazon Prime helps some, but some stuff they won't ship. I recently need some medical supplies. The affordable option on Amazon wouldn't ship to Alaska. Had to order stuff at twice the price. Having a family member out of state that can receive and reship it helps sometimes.
Car break down? Good chance they don't have the part in state and it's a two week wait.
You'll need winter gear of course. And since winter can last from October to April, stuff wears out. So you'll need replacement winter gear.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Those are excellent things to think about! I hadn't thought at all about changing over winter tires, although husband will probably just keep them on rims and swap out that way. But still, another great thing to plan for!

Thank you!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:28 AM

953 posts, read 571,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post
Those are excellent things to think about! I hadn't thought at all about changing over winter tires, although husband will probably just keep them on rims and swap out that way. But still, another great thing to plan for!

Thank you!
Adding this to all your threads: "yep, , shes not ready. And if the finicum worship wasnt a joke, alaskans dont want them. Honey, weve listened to you on multiple threads throw around your crazy ideas and people have been super patient and helpful with you. You HAVENT EVEN BEEN TO ALASKA and are discarding the advice of those who live there. This reads like one of those "help we moved to alaska and now cant move back !" threads in the making. Note: if you cant even afford a scouting trip, you cant afford alaska. Alaskans: stop helping this woman, her family will just wind up another drag on your social services, all while whining about "big gubmint"."

Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post

Thank you!
Tires only matter if you are on the road or live in a hub with roads.

I am going to give you a budget break down for bush living (village life, not what you are thinking).

Gas: $7/gallon average (it's currently less, but budget that amount).
Forget about newer engines that are more efficient, b/c of the dependency on electronics and computers. IF one thing breaks, your machine is useless.

Freight: Everything you want to get to your location has to be factored in. Longer/heavier things might not be able to land b/c of airstrip distance. Rivers are nice, if a barge can get to you.
Typically, your shipping rates are about $0.50 through the post office, but what you are wanting you won't get. Post office will only hold mail for a short period (15 days) before they return to sender.
The farther away you get from a hub, the more expensive your freight goes. Your shipping cost can easily triple. An example to: A car via plane to my hub is over $5k, but on a barge it is less than $3k.

Food: You may not be able to legally hunt or fish subsistence for a year. Game isn't as plentiful as you would think. Take that into consideration. Growing your own, is pretty darn expensive. We budget $1k a month for food and I have a freezer full of protein.
Where we used to live we paid $15 for a gallon of milk and $7 for a dozen eggs. Here it is $8/gallon and I don't remember what eggs are.

I do have access to regular mail and three grocery stores (though one is out of commission while arson attempt is cleaned up).

Utilities: McGrath was an area you were looking at, they pay around $1 KWH (that is a little high, but an easy number to work with).

Travel: Any trip to town is $1k a person. That includes hotel, car, food, and plane ticket

Internet: We pay $120ish for 12 gigs.

DOn't forget the cost to buy your toys. You'd need 4-wheeler (5-10k), snowmachine (5-10k), boat (5-40k) just to name a few.

Shipping to get any of those toys to the bush will run $1k-$7k per depending on size.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Ty. Those are an excellent place to start!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Forget about newer engines that are more efficient, b/c of the dependency on electronics and computers. IF one thing breaks, your machine is useless.
Growing up in the logging camps; everyone who brought a vehicle with electric windows or door locks soon regretted it. The gravel roads and bumps just destroyed them. I remember Dad buying an S-10 Blazer one year and having to special order it with manual locks, manual windows and vinyl flooring. The salesman kept offering him a great deal on a fully loaded model with carpet, but dad knew the electronics wouldn't last and the carpet would always be a muddy mess.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:39 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
MB one thing you need to think about living in the bush, is there will be no connections to outside world. It's different up here, than down south. You can always get in a car and drive somewhere, but up here, you can't.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:22 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Quote:
Food: You may not be able to legally hunt or fish subsistence for a year.
This sort of thing doesn't matter to this type of person. They consider subsistence regulations just more of that pesky federal government overreach.

You forgot to factor in health insurance for a family of six. Oh wait -- that'll be on someone else's dime.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 PM

953 posts, read 571,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This sort of thing doesn't matter to this type of person. They consider subsistence regulations just more of that pesky federal government overreach.

You forgot to factor in health insurance for a family of six. Oh wait -- that'll be on someone else's dime.
Yep. Your dime. They call it "bleeding the beast". Mormon concept for justifying welfare use by "anti-gubmint" types, now gone mainstream with prepper types. Its like "anti-tax" farmers in Iowa who love their corn subsidies. Lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska