U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:59 AM

742 posts, read 468,295 times

Advertisements

There is a topo map that you can look at if you go to topozone.com

Anyway the East side looks like it rises quit quickly to a hill that is 1981ft in elevation. With out ever being there I can't tell if it is rocky or what. Which is why we tell every one to walk the property before buying it!
http://www.topozone.com/alaska/matan...ke/shell-lake/

Last edited by Music_Man; 11-14-2016 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: inserted link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
This is what the river looks like in the winter, and what is used to haul supplys.
Here is what I was trying to show you.
Freight sled

Old 11-14-2016, 05:39 AM

Another thing you can do is look at the tax info and owner if you know the lot number. Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

Zoom in to Shell lake and select the lot you are interested in and it will you info about the taxes, size, and owner.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 4,182 times
Quote:
OK now i see the problem. I didn't notice that he is from Greece. The only thing they have over there is stone and brick. and probably no lumber yards, my bad.
Yes, in Greece we build with different kind of materials.
Stone is an excellent material for building, I own a house at Paros island, from stone, and is warm at winter and cool at summer. Outside walls are almost 25 inches wide

We also have lumber yards, but many products have not the same name in EU as states.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
There is a topo map that you can look at if you go to topozone.com

Anyway the East side looks like it rises quit quickly to a hill that is 1981ft in elevation. With out ever being there I can't tell if it is rocky or what. Which is why we tell every one to walk the property before buying it!
Shell Lake Topo Map, Matanuska-Susitna County AK (Tyonek D-5 Area)
Of course I will..!!!

But before of that, I want to have tons of information about the territory, I wanna have in mind at least 5-10 possible lots to visit and as many building companies for house offers.
The cost for us to travel there, from Greece (we are family of 5) is up to $15,000.
So, I want to finish all at once, if possible....

Btw, I had a returning e-mail from Friesen's custom cabins, and was not very detailed about my asking. Most important is tha he specifies to shell cabins not a complete home.

Any company from you, guys, to recommend??

Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 PM

Friesen will build to suit you, all it takes is money. Yes he usually just sells the shell and lets the owner do the electrical, insulation and painting. He can arrange anything you want, it just cost more money.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Friesen will build to suit you, all it takes is money. Yes he usually just sells the shell and lets the owner do the electrical, insulation and painting. He can arrange anything you want, it just cost more money.

I can understand that.

He asks, for example, $100,000 for the shell. Also wrote me, if the building is off road, price will double.. Meaning about 200k

As I know in Greece, shell house is about 35%-50% of total cost.. Meaning an extra (min) amount of 100k (or more)..!

Plus, general or other expenses (thinking about) 50k.... Plus the lot 100k....

I am thinking an average total of 450k-500k for a 2.3 s.f. house ...!

Please can someone, tell me if the price is normal or its "tourist" price..??

Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Don't forget the cost of choppering it all in or multiple trips with snowmachine in winter. Most cabins are not 2300 sq ft.
If you want a full sized finished house put up in the wilderness it will cost that much.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
Yeah, that's a huge size for a remote cabin.

My cabin was about 20 feet by 30 feet, with a loft, housing two people full-time and a third part-time, back when I was doing the uber-rural thing.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, that's a huge size for a remote cabin.

My cabin was about 20 feet by 30 feet, with a loft, housing two people full-time and a third part-time, back when I was doing the uber-rural thing.

We are a family of 5, and sometimes, I have my mother in law with me...
Each daughter wants privacy of a room... etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska