U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:25 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,521,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarisaSMouse View Post
The majority of the state is bush, though, not road system, right?
Even though the majority of the state is "bush," the majority of people live on the road system. Only a very small part of the bush has people living there.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-17-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarisaSMouse View Post
The majority of the state is bush, though, not road system, right?
Land wise but not population wise.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:31 PM

66 posts, read 54,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Where I live, and in some of the surrounding villages, the school district maintains/helps maintain some utilities. Everything goes slow out here though, so I'd imagine no matter who is in charge of it, it would be a long process.

Something else to think about too is that, on top of water crises, water quality can be quite poor to begin with. The water in my village is pretty...unsavory. We have to steam distill all of our water before we actually drink it, and we use filtered shower water because it's so hard on our skin, hair, and nails.

Why is the quality so poor? I would think that water out in the middle of nowhere, especially flowing water would be pretty clean. Then again I am not naturalist.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:58 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyinAK View Post
Why is the quality so poor? I would think that water out in the middle of nowhere, especially flowing water would be pretty clean. Then again I am not naturalist.
Hard. The water is extremely hard. It's not all flowing and clear. I've been in villages where the water comes out of the tap the color of tea. Where I live now, neighbors can have different quality of water even though their wells are right next to each other.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 PM

187 posts, read 153,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Hard. The water is extremely hard. It's not all flowing and clear. I've been in villages where the water comes out of the tap the color of tea. Where I live now, neighbors can have different quality of water even though their wells are right next to each other.
Yup, tap water the color of tea pretty much sums it up. There are other issues with it too, but that's the main one. I grew up with hard water, but nothing comparable to out here.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:01 AM

936 posts, read 724,506 times
I remember going to Buckland right after the river flooded the village with water from the sewage lagoon. There wasn't much to do other than be really careful with hygiene and wait for the water to get better.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Potable water can't just come from a flowing river without being treated. It can come from an aquifer but that's not possible in all areas. A lot of sewage lagoons in Alaska are located on marshlands which act as a sort of filter (very layman explanation) to treat the water so it leaches back into the aquifer.

Re: the question about Native Corporations - they are not humanitarian organizations nor are they meant to be or set up to be. It's like asking Wal Mart why they don't do something to get the homeless white people off the streets. Native Corporations are business entities. They are beholden to the shareholders to make money as well as they can and to divest it to the shareholders once a year.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 54,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Potable water can't just come from a flowing river without being treated. It can come from an aquifer but that's not possible in all areas. A lot of sewage lagoons in Alaska are located on marshlands which act as a sort of filter (very layman explanation) to treat the water so it leaches back into the aquifer.

Re: the question about Native Corporations - they are not humanitarian organizations nor are they meant to be or set up to be. It's like asking Wal Mart why they don't do something to get the homeless white people off the streets. Native Corporations are business entities. They are beholden to the shareholders to make money as well as they can and to divest it to the shareholders once a year.

Thanks for the info in the water, I appreciate it. I've only spent a few weeks out in a couple of villages.

I think the Walmart comparison isn't accurate because Walmart wasn't established to settle land and financial claims for white people nor is it(shares) owned by only white people. Not to mention Walmart doesn't isn't covered by 8(a) but I get your point. To me it would seem that these corporations are there to invest the money for their shareholders(who have to be AK Native if I'm correct because they cannot sell the shares but rather pass them down to family). That should include investing in projects that directly help said share holders and to further take care of the land they own. Also if I recall right, Native Corps fund the VPO/VPSO program. so help funding infrastructure projects shouldn't or couldn't be out of the question. I chose to live in a city thus I pay taxes which then funds and supports infrastructure such as roads, water, sewer. I rely on a well to provide my water and if I have issues with water I am responsible for it, not the government. Is/are there any tax base in Emmonak to help fund the project? Granted their corporation doesn't seem that big or makes a lot of money based on their website. Regardless, hopefully the problems with water. sewage, or whatever else is needed, is fixed and services provided.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:45 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,931,907 times
Sewer Service Restored To Emmonak | KYUK

Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
To me it would seem that these corporations are there to invest the money for their shareholders(who have to be AK Native if I'm correct because they cannot sell the shares but rather pass them down to family). That should include investing in projects that directly help said share holders and to further take care of the land they own.
Well, to be blunt, you are incorrect. First, the Native people do not own the lands they originally settled and utilized. I won't go into details because you can read all about it yourself with the help of Google, but ANCSA was just another way that white people stole Native land. In exchange for essentially not having to be relegated to reservations, the Native groups formed Corporations which are businesses, not humanitarian agencies. To my knowledge, none of those businesses have structures that enable them to do humanitarian missions. They have a fiscal responsibility to maximize dividends and giving away money does not fit that responsibility no matter how many outside white people think that Native corporations should forgo their profit-making obligations and provide things like water systems for needy villages. That is the responsibility of government. Like it or not, the Wal-mart comparison is completely apt here. 8(a) has nothing to do with corporate structure; it's a government program.

Quote:
Also if I recall right, Native Corps fund the VPO/VPSO program. so help funding infrastructure projects shouldn't or couldn't be out of the question. I chose to live in a city thus I pay taxes which then funds and supports infrastructure such as roads, water, sewer. I rely on a well to provide my water and if I have issues with water I am responsible for it, not the government. Is/are there any tax base in Emmonak to help fund the project? Granted their corporation doesn't seem that big or makes a lot of money based on their website. Regardless, hopefully the problems with water. sewage, or whatever else is needed, is fixed and services provided.
You do not "recall right". In fact you are completely incorrect. VPSO funding is provided by the legislature and managed by the State Troopers.

Honestly you're so off base here and any research you could have done to answer your own questions is obviously just not present so from here on out I'm just going to assume you're just here to be racist towards Alaska Natives. You are holding their businesses responsible for solving problems that are the responsibility of government in white cities. That is inappropriate and a complete double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: