Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:24 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

I was house hunting on the KP last fall and saw some incredible prices. In particular a place of less than 1500 sq ft, exposed wiring stapled along logs, windows with broken seals, particle board walls, sheets for closet doors, a driveway so overgrown we kept missing the turn, a "garage" with no access ramp and a floor that wouldn't support the weight of a golf cart, yard that hadn't seen a chain saw for 5 years, and they were asking $250,000. A quote from my realtor who's worked in that market for 25 years:

"Everyone with property to sell thinks they own the Taj Mahal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It's similar in the Fairbanks area. If you're lucky, the place has water.

I can't wait for Pitts to chime in. I'm going to get the popcorn... don't start without me.
Maybe he got hired!
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/grd/5927831003.html

Old 12-21-2016, 08:19 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Maybe he got hired!
bud trimmer for hire
Bahahahaa!!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
FBs sounds like a mess these days. Apparently, stealing Christmas packages is a thing now. WTH is wrong with people, anyway, stealing little kids' toys to sell for drugs.

I've noticed prices going up and up in Oregon and Washington, but that's being caused by out-of-state equity money coming in. I doubt the same applies to FBs, but who knows; someone's buying it and it doesn't sound like the local economy supports those prices.
It seems like theft in Fairbanks is out of control. Mail, vehicles, equipment, pets, snowmachines, 4-wheelers, you name it. Mail is probably the worst problem, although my niece's bike and cousin's wife's 4-wheeler were stolen in broad daylight while they were at church a couple months ago.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:23 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
We've been house hunting and if you think it's insane uo there, try coming here. Lol. I'm not willing to pay $250k for a crap home. If I want s decent one it's about $300k but even that is crazy.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I was house hunting on the KP last fall and saw some incredible prices. In particular a place of less than 1500 sq ft, exposed wiring stapled along logs, windows with broken seals, particle board walls, sheets for closet doors, a driveway so overgrown we kept missing the turn, a "garage" with no access ramp and a floor that wouldn't support the weight of a golf cart, yard that hadn't seen a chain saw for 5 years, and they were asking $250,000. A quote from my realtor who's worked in that market for 25 years:

"Everyone with property to sell thinks they own the Taj Mahal".
That sounds like a steal. You have to pay extra for the Alaskan wiring job and the particle board. Everyone knows this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It seems like theft in Fairbanks is out of control. Mail, vehicles, equipment, pets, snowmachines, 4-wheelers, you name it. Mail is probably the worst problem, although my niece's bike and cousin's wife's 4-wheeler were stolen in broad daylight while they were at church a couple months ago.
We don't have a theft problem in Delta . At least none that I've heard of. That's crazy that people are stealing mail though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
We've been house hunting and if you think it's insane uo there, try coming here. Lol. I'm not willing to pay $250k for a crap home. If I want s decent one it's about $300k but even that is crazy.
I would like to build a dome house in a bush hub one of these days to sell. That's what surprised me the most is that you can't even get a tiny lot in any bush village for under $30k it seems. And 40%+ of building costs are freight alone. I'd like to do this because I can fit a 1000 square foot highly insulated outer shell in one or two airplane loads for $10-
$15k. This would be a great design for bush villages without barge service to save big bucks on shipping, building costs and heating bills.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
That sounds like a steal. You have to pay extra for the Alaskan wiring job and the particle board. Everyone knows this .

We don't have a theft problem in Delta . At least none that I've heard of. That's crazy that people are stealing mail though.

I would like to build a dome house in a bush hub one of these days to sell. That's what surprised me the most is that you can't even get a tiny lot in any bush village for under $30k it seems. And 40%+ of building costs are freight alone. I'd like to do this because I can fit a 1000 square foot highly insulated outer shell in one or two airplane loads for $10-
$15k. This would be a great design for bush villages without barge service to save big bucks on shipping, building costs and heating bills.
We've decided that building is the way to go. And a dome is the top of our list. If we go that route I will contact you.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Couple of lots for sale over in Whale Pass for under $30,000.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
We've decided that building is the way to go. And a dome is the top of our list. If we go that route I will contact you.
Let me know of you do, I would love to get a dome out in dillingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Couple of lots for sale over in Whale Pass for under $30,000.
Wow, and they look pretty nice too. Never have heard of whale pass until this, thanks I'll check it out.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
What would you do with property in Whale Pass?

Whatever you do, don't build on it and use it as a rental. Renting to locals here is a recipe for hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska