U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,177,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
FYI, Alaska Air will wave change fees for family illness and death. We happened to be traveling when my FIL had a stroke. When we arrived at the Seattle airport, we let them know we wouldn't make our next flight the following day and it was noted on our itinerary. We made arrangements to leave about a week later and they waived the change fees as the reason was listed (no additional flight cost due to fare competition going on that year). We were taking turns over the spring/summer for his care and happened to be with him when he passed away. Again, Alaska Air waved fees for our flight changes.
Alaska air was easy to work with. The change fees were coming from PenAir. I admit I was surprised they wouldn't waive the change ticket fees.

Another thing for club 49 members is that you get two tickets a year that you can buy at 30% off if you travel within theee days of booking. Much cheaper than the bereavement rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:24 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,413,083 times
Paraphrased from an old timer:
An old man was once asked "what did you give up to live in such beautiful country as this?"
The man replied "everything."

Two deaths in the family now in one short year. Not much you can do besides a phone call living 5,000 miles away. Is it worth it?

A cold part of the reality of life up here. You do give up quite a bit family wise. Hopefully they understand why I couldn't be there.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM

6,931 posts, read 11,725,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Paraphrased from an old timer:
An old man was once asked "what did you give up to live in such beautiful country as this?"
The man replied "everything."

Two deaths in the family now in one short year. Not much you can do besides a phone call living 5,000 miles away. Is it worth it?

A cold part of the reality of life up here. You do give up quite a bit family wise. Hopefully they understand why I couldn't be there.
When my grandmother died I told my mom it was kinda sad I wouldn't be there for the funeral. All she said was "Don't worry too much she won't even know you're not here."

Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM

842 posts, read 613,900 times
And relatives in the lower 48 won't come to visit you very much because of the cost too, same price either way.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 PM

5,956 posts, read 3,193,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
And relatives in the lower 48 won't come to visit you very much because of the cost too, same price either way.

Sometimes, that is a good thing!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 AM

5,858 posts, read 6,044,197 times
During the holidays you might not even be able to get a flight, even at full fare. One of my former co-workers found himself in this position when his dad died. The waiting list for standby was so long he ended up driving 3,000 miles in the winter to get to the funeral.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:48 AM

2,846 posts, read 1,516,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
During the holidays you might not even be able to get a flight, even at full fare. One of my former co-workers found himself in this position when his dad died. The waiting list for standby was so long he ended up driving 3,000 miles in the winter to get to the funeral.
Anchorage airport sees an impressive amount of passengers per day, for sure. Alaska has a ton of flights in and out of there, and most of them are usually full.

It must have one of the highest numbers in the nation of daily air travelers, per capita, if such a statistic is tabulated.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 AM

516 posts, read 258,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I'd drive. Whats the big deal? Just get in my truck and go. Life is only as hard as you make it.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,698,329 times
Yeah. Or, as hard as mother nature, geography, geology and geopolitical boundaries make it.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM

2,846 posts, read 1,516,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
I'd drive. Whats the big deal? Just get in my truck and go. Life is only as hard as you make it.
You ever driven the Alcan in the winter? The big deal is that you might be late for the funeral.

Also, a lot of Alaskans don't have cars that they would trust for such a long drive, since many of them don't need to do much driving and therefore own cheap, older cars.

In my town, it makes no sense whatsoever to own a nice rig, because if you break down- so what? You can walk just about anywhere if absolutely necessary, or have someone come pick you up with little inconvenience to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or