Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times

Advertisements

Heh. I don't know if I'd be choosing Alaska's tourist hot zone if I was trying to avoid clueless people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
On a per capita basis we have a disproportionate amount of crime which is synonomus with a$$ hattery and general buffoonery.

I felt more safe on the subways of Boston at night than walking around Muldoon at night.
It's a lot safer in Fairbanks. By the way, the inebriates we have around 2nd Avenue in Fairbanks are pretty much harmless, and even friendly. I have experienced several very grateful drunks in that area.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Alaska has it's fair share of undesirable people. What place doesn't? It also has some of the most capable, smartest, hardworking people I've ever met and everything in between.

You won't be received very well in your new locale if you come across harsh, judgmental and hating on people. You should adopt more of a live and let live mentality to succeed up here.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 AM

59 posts, read 61,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What exactly are you worried about? There are all kinds of stupidity, and Alaska has it all. You won't have to worry about gang stupidity on the Kenai. Just don't hang with druggies, stay out of the ****ty bars, and you'll probably be fine. Take your time making friends -- you'll be pegged by the first people you associate with, and often, those who are quick to befriend newcomers are not the best people. I'm telling you this because you seem a little socially naive and because I've seen a lot of people move here and fall in with a bad crowd right off the bat. Also, you're self employed if I recall, so you've got that going for you. Like I said, take things slowly and choose your friends well.
OK. Yeah, I admit, socializing is not my strong suit. Being careful around those quick to befriend you is a lesson I've learned the hard way.

I don't do drugs or drink and; while I respect people's right to do whatever they want providing they harm no one, including their right to do drugs, I don't trust people who are incapable of controlling their substance habits and keep my distance. It's the lack of impulse control I distrust, not the drugs. So it is unlikely that I will befriending any of those types. I am friendly to everyone but tend to quickly end relations with 95% of people I come in contact with. My friends are mostly made up of east European immigrants, family people and hustlers.

I remember Homer being sort of a small fishing industry town, probably because my dad worked at the Homer boat yard and family dealt with people in the business. I heard the fishing industry is pretty dried up there today. I looked Homer up on google earth, watched drive around videos people put up and even chatted with a gunsmith there for a couple hours. It looks and sounds much larger but far more relaxed than when I lived there. It IS starting to look very appealing. Hard to find land there though. Most of the stuff I've been seeing within my budget is near Anchor Point and Nikiski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
You won't be received very well in your new locale if you come across harsh, judgmental and hating on people. You should adopt more of a live and let live mentality to succeed up here.
This is what I meant when I said you folks are making it sound too good to be true.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
Sounds like good news overall, though the city slicker issue DOES sound very disturbing to say the least. Why don't you folks deal with the gangs. You folks pack heat, don't you?
I'm assuming you are joking because carrying "heat" doesn't solve gang activity. Carrying heat? Are you 13?
People that choose to conceal carry or even open carry are held to laws. They can't just walk up and start a gun fight with gang members. Realistically not everyone that we think is a gang member is a gang member.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I'm assuming you are joking because carrying "heat" doesn't solve gang activity. Carrying heat? Are you 13?
People that choose to conceal carry or even open carry are held to laws. They can't just walk up and start a gun fight with gang members. Realistically not everyone that we think is a gang member is a gang member.
I don't know about where you are, but here in CA gangs are only a problem when they commit armed robbery/carjacking or violent crimes. If they're not giving you a good reason to defend yourself or others, than they're not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's not "too good to be true." Personally, I'm tired of the white trash. I won't rent to locals and neither will I hire them -- they cost too much money because they wreck things, they're stupid, and they're lazy. The last time I went to Ketchikan, the owner of the Air b and B I stayed at told me that he usually doesn't rent to people from my community because they don't have enough class to not trash other people's property. When my mother was alive, this business donated heavily to community causes, but I've come to the conclusion that there is no sense in pouring money down a rathole. Everywhere you go, someone's got their hand out here. There's often some sort of barfworthy bake sale blocking the entrance to the grocery store, and everyone seems to have their own "Go Fund Me" page. The myth of the "fiercely independent Alaska" is just that -- a MYTH. If you doubt that, go to the ADN page and read any of the comments on articles about the PDF. The crying and bitching is embarrassing.

That said, none of that really has to affect your life.
Yeah, that sounds like the sort I am talking about. Here in California people like that become a problem even when you are making a conscious effort to avoid them. For one, I don't drink alcohol or have any pets, but if you looked at my yard you would think I'm a slobbering drunk with too many animals. And it usually only takes a few days after cleaning. I had it all back the day after cleaning once. I can see that part going away in Alaska at least. And if you think beer cans and free roaming pets are bad, you should see how people drive.

What's the ADN page?

Last edited by Alaska-47; 12-28-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
I don't know about where you are, but here in CA gangs are only a problem when they commit armed robbery/carjacking or violent crimes. If they're not giving you a good reason to defend yourself or others, than they're not a problem.

Yeah, that sounds like the sort I am talking about. Here in California people like that become a problem even when you are making a conscious effort to avoid them. For one, I don't drink alcohol or have any pets, but if you looked at my yard you would think I'm a slobbering drunk with too many animals. And it usually only takes a few days after cleaning. I had it all back the day after cleaning once. I can see that part going away in Alaska at least. And if you think beer cans and free roaming pets are bad, you should see how people drive.

What's the ADN page?
You talk about us packing heat and taking care of our gang issues. Or at least you are implying that. Honestly since you started this thread I now just assume you are talking about yourself.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 PM

I am trying to understand the differences between here and there in terms of culture, the judgement of the people and how it does or doesn't effect the uninviting. You folks were the first to bring up gangs. Where I live violent criminals take advantage of the fact that nearly everyone is unarmed. So in my follow up inquest, I tried to understand how you can have a gang violence problem in a place where everyone is armed, which I don't think anyone has even tried to answer. I made no suggestion of having shootouts in the streets.TBH, you are starting to sound like the guy who swears that anyone who chooses to be armed around bears is just looking for an excuse to mow them down. And please don't accuse me of "implying" without any solid grounds for it. Being armed also gives your police the means to deal with violent criminals and I am sure they don't just go around mowing them down. Armed citizens+criminals=rampant shootouts is a ridiculous way of thinking. But I presume you already know that.

TBH, more than anything I was just wondering why people would even be trying to commit crimes against strangers in a community where everyone is free to carry guns on them. And more precisely, is something more subtle going on up there that renders every day people vulnerable to violent crime despite being free to walk around armed.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
As it turns out, guns don't form a magical protective shield around their users or their users' property.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
Most of the crime is drug related or gan fighys over drug control. John Q Public is not involved much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska