Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times

Advertisements

Congrats Rich. Hope you find Soldotna to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:13 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,091 times
Wow, so many reasons why I could write a book! Only reason I'm moving away is due to being diagnosed with a progressive neurological disease. It's been my wife and my dream to live on the beach, so we are going to finally do so, as life is short. However, once this place gets into your system, it won't go away. I still plan to keep my many ties with Alaska. There is so much different about this place, it would take forever to write it all down.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Lots move here with the military, some because of job industry relocation, as well as students attending the University. I am certain that a lot of people move here because they have reached the end of their rope. To some it's the romance of being in Alaska, much like when one wants to see the other side of the mountain. Lots of people move here in desperation, hoping to make a living, while others move here trying to get away from other people. Others move here trying to get away with crimes they have committed somewhere else.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Smile Why I'm looking to move to AK...

Great question (esp. for those who would enjoy answering it)! What is there not to love about AK? Yes - it's far from family and in some places fairly expensive to live, but if you enjoy the outdoors and the combination of the mountains and water; the freedom of nature and wildlife all around you; incredible historical stories and figures right before your eyes; independent thinking and independent thinkers; a more laid-back lifestyle; an appreciation for the things that really matter in life as compared to the materialistic pursuit found in many other places; if you are awe-inspired watching whales, dolphins, and other sea creatures live, eat, & play; if you can sit and watch eagles for hours on end and not grow tired of it; if you enjoy fishing - or at least watching others do it (!) and if you love eating the fish they catch (!!); if you don't mind living second-hand when you actually need something that you can't piece together from what you already own; if you love long nights of light and winter days of rain; ... if you like pina coladas and getting caught in that rain... ... if you can't imagine anyplace more beautiful even having traveled so many places already; if your heart just won't let you leave regardless of how long you've been gone or how long you were ever there in the first place, and even for those who've never been... then... maybe one or more of those reasons might just be why... you'd travel from wherever you are, across the country, leaving friends and family behind, at great expense, ... to find out if any or all of those things might just not be found... in the incredible state of Alaska...

Does that suffice? (OR are you still curious?)

Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Default No not new here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
lol, we are so bad.....spring is here, god help anyone new posting...
LOL not new here. Have posted for a while now. I was born and raised in Alaska but I was just curious why we have so many newcomers moving up here that's all.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpeace View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am moving to Soldotna in 45 days.

For us (fiance and myself) it is largely due to the impact of city life and the accesabilty to Alaska through her family. Her father lives there and is offering a temporary place to stay as well as a side gig helping him with his guide service (fishing). We've been in the corporate world in smoggy Dallas TX for ~ 5 years and we need to get away from it and reconnect with not only ourselves but also with the other offerings of the world (non business offerings). Work in high rise dowtown for 5 years and it just wears on ya. Constant cars and buildings and noise and pollution. We are also both in our late twenties so if were ever going to make a big move we think now is the time.

We have looked at Portland, Seattle and San Diego as well and while those are all nice places, we keep going back to Alaska. For us it is kind of "seize the oppurtunity" type thing. I have lived all over the lower 48 and have confidence that I could pick up an move at any time and find a comfortable living in any major city, however wtih Ak. it's feels like if we don't go now we may never have the oppurtunity to experience such a unique place again in our lifetime.

Rich

Yes you should experience it. I was born and raised in Alaska and hate to brag, but it is beautiful. Lower 48 has beautiful places too, but Alaska is somewhat unique. Good luck. Yes seize the opportunity while you can.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Great question (esp. for those who would enjoy answering it)! What is there not to love about AK? Yes - it's far from family and in some places fairly expensive to live, but if you enjoy the outdoors and the combination of the mountains and water; the freedom of nature and wildlife all around you; incredible historical stories and figures right before your eyes; independent thinking and independent thinkers; a more laid-back lifestyle; an appreciation for the things that really matter in life as compared to the materialistic pursuit found in many other places; if you are awe-inspired watching whales, dolphins, and other sea creatures live, eat, & play; if you can sit and watch eagles for hours on end and not grow tired of it; if you enjoy fishing - or at least watching others do it (!) and if you love eating the fish they catch (!!); if you don't mind living second-hand when you actually need something that you can't piece together from what you already own; if you love long nights of light and winter days of rain; ... if you like pina coladas and getting caught in that rain... ... if you can't imagine anyplace more beautiful even having traveled so many places already; if your heart just won't let you leave regardless of how long you've been gone or how long you were ever there in the first place, and even for those who've never been... then... maybe one or more of those reasons might just be why... you'd travel from wherever you are, across the country, leaving friends and family behind, at great expense, ... to find out if any or all of those things might just not be found... in the incredible state of Alaska...

Does that suffice? (OR are you still curious?)
Alaska is all that and then some. I know, was born and raised here.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 20,688 times
As for me, it started out as just a trip for vacation..but now its turned into me planning to stay all summer. I just need a change of scenery. Plus, its an opportunity I may never have again... Why not Alaska?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
You couldn't ask for more beautiful scenery.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,990 times
Always wanted to live in Alaska. Why wouldn't you want to live there is a better question...Way less people. I like my space...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska