Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,342,453 times

Advertisements

The quality of the ferry ride depends on what part of Alaska you're going to. If you are just going to Ketchikan, no big deal. Going farther is pretty rough on dogs, especially larger ones. As far as jobs, what I would do is watch for temp jobs that offer a place to live like doing maintenance for a fishing lodge or someplace like Chena Hot Springs. If you're going to get hired long distance, though, your references have to be stellar. If it's just you, you can probably get away with showing up on spec if you've got some skills, but you have to choose your place wisely. Alaska's a huge state, and available job opportunities vary pretty wildly. I'd stay out of Anchorage as it's become a cesspool. If you go there, keep your wits about you and don't go bar slumming in the bad side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 8,023 times
im thinking anchorage or south no fly in towns , as far as guns go , beratta 9/ colt mp5 , 870 12 ga, a judge and a 7mm mag im now thinking to ship them im not planning on going up there then saying i cant make it thats not me at 55 yrs old
il make it or die trying anybody who meets my dog fall in love with him he very well trained , im not looking for a big house just a small cabin would be good enough for me , right now my trailer is 700 square ft an im just fine with that im looking for a 4x4 either a dekota or a jeep wangler witch i will do a complete rehaul on so that shouldnt be a problem im not intrested in selling everything an flying up that sounds like suicide to me, im thinking i should have better odd of showing up to a interview then promises on a phone call,i pride myself on being a quik learner so jobs shouldnt be a problem as i watch graiglist all the time to see whats going on up there

Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Hey -- do it your way. You came here asking for advice, and I'm both a landlord and an employer. Just bring enough money to get back home when it doesn't work out. And Anchorage is a stupid move for anyone who's trying to get away from -48 BS.

Just curious; why did you even ask for advice if you know it all already? Are you a troll?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,799,109 times
Anchorage has all the "Lower 48 problems" plus some. And a housing shortage.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 8,023 times
anchorage is just a option i got to keep all options open if i have start there i can live with that i dont hang out at the bar seen if im going to **** my money away i can think of better things than drinking , my references are more than stellar so that is not a problem , im thinking smaller towns south of anchorage , im not going to give amounts but ill have MORE than enough money to get me going , oh im not asking for advice, just some opions an experences i was born but not yesterday
i will put all my info together an come up with my own plan im just asking for your experences an ya my spelling sucks no need to tell me

Old 01-07-2017, 01:09 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,570,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconny View Post
im thinking smaller towns south of anchorage ,
South of Anchorage: There's Girdwood & Whittier. And then you go onto the Kenai Peninsula with Seward, Moose Pass, Sterling, Kenai, Soldotna, Nikiski, Ninlichk, Anchor Point & Homer.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,424,948 times
https://www.adn.com/business-economy...han-last-year/

Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,145,945 times
I don't think you've gotten very far into your research.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 PM

The hardest part may be finding a place to live. I recall a poster several years ago who ended up turning down a job in Juneau because he couldn't line up lodging due to having a couple of dogs. When rentals get tight, landlords can pick and choose, and they often choose the petless. Once you've been burned by tenant a who decided it didn't work out and left Fluffy behind after fleeing the state, you'll get it.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 AM

623 posts, read 950,995 times
Don't let the negativity get to you man. If you don't have a job, it's a good idea to have a couple of months rent in pocket. A good idea might to look into tourism jobs for the summer, many help with housing. It's a good way to get an Alaska address and make some money. Ferry is fine for most pets. They allow a couple of check ins before they get to Alaska waters and you can check on your pet in every port. Good luck, don't let the negativity get to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska