U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 4,224 times

Advertisements

im going to make a move to ak im still doing reseach on this move , i check graigslist every week on jobs an housing i just want out of the lower 48 i know a lot of people give some crappy advice cause they dont want a lot of newbies up there , i understand i live in wisconsin and tired of all the big city people moving here drives me freaking nuts , iv done all sorts of employment from milking cows to firestone tech for 15 years it looks to me finding employment should be easy one of the problems is getting there i would like to bring my firearms with me , but i dont think my dog is going to like the ferry system , so im not sure if that is the way to go, the alcan is another way with no firearms , would have some one send them up later so im just looking for other people advice an if you have been on the ferry system what could expect
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconny View Post
i know a lot of people give some crappy advice cause they dont want a lot of newbies up there
I don't warn people about the challenges of moving to & living in Alaska because I don't want more people here. I do it because I want less homeless people begging for money to get back out of here.
I have no problem with people moving to Alaska. But have a job lined up ahead of time. Have enough cash saved up for your first/last & deposit on an apartment. And since you have pets, you'll be paying more for rent & will have less places to choose from. Also, have the cash to get back out of here when things don't work out. And be sure to understand that the cost of living here is much higher than most other spots.
You asked about the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. You'll catch it in Bellingham and go to Juneau. Then you'll get on the cross gulf ferry to Whittier. The cross gulf ferry only runs a couple of times a month. The ferry will be more expensive than driving. You leave your pets in the vehicle and are allowed below deck every few hours to feed and walk them in a designated area.
If you are going to drive it, you'll need a passport for Canada. You can take long rifles through but no handguns.
I would say drive it and have someone ship your guns to you later.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
I got to the first sentence and stopped reading. Sick of the usual assumptions that we give "crappy advice" for self-serving interests. Otherwise, what Stafford said. Have a job before moving.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
You don't say what part of the state you want to move to. You don't say what type of guns you have. You don't mention your budget.

I don't give crappy advise. I give realistic advise. If you want my advise I'll need more info.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 4,224 times
thanks akstaford for the advice as far as homeless goes i understand were your coming from i dont plan on being homeless so thats not a problem seeing as im not lazy by any means , i understand bringing enough money to get me going by this june ill be CREDIT FREE lol , so money isnt the problem , to the other guy thanks for reading the first sentence sorry you took that , that way , as far as finding a job i think it would be easyer to be be up there than trying to get a job from down here would not be smart , lord only knows
what would happen when i get there , i would rather be there to see what im getting into , also i have lived in a lot of places 49 states an 12 countries so this aint my first rodeo

Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
Very few people "plan" on being homeless.

If you think reality is crappy, it sounds like you don't want to hear what I have to say. Good luck

Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconny View Post
thanks akstaford for the advice as far as homeless goes i understand were your coming from i dont plan on being homeless so thats not a problem seeing as im not lazy by any means , i understand bringing enough money to get me going by this june ill be CREDIT FREE lol , so money isnt the problem , to the other guy thanks for reading the first sentence sorry you took that , that way , as far as finding a job i think it would be easyer to be be up there than trying to get a job from down here would not be smart , lord only knows
what would happen when i get there , i would rather be there to see what im getting into , also i have lived in a lot of places 49 states an 12 countries so this aint my first rodeo
I recommend a job first, but if you have enough money to get up here and get back within a certain time and you have no other mouths to feed, then come up. Summer has more opportunities than winter. Your dog is going to be the wildcard.

My advise would be to come up on the road. I'd only bring one rifle or shotgun. You won't be able to hunt legally as a resident except for small game so there really is no need for your whole arsenal. Plus without a place to stay right away, storing one gun is much easier than 10.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:13 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Landlords and employers often are reluctant to rent to or hire people who show up on spec, and rentals seem pretty tight all over the state. I'm also done with renting to people with pets.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-05-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 964,469 times
My crappy advice is to research and apply for jobs in advance, then fly up here after selling car, guns and dog.
Attached Thumbnails
making the move-no-newbies.png  

Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Landlords and employers often are reluctant to rent to or hire people who show up on spec, and rentals seem pretty tight all over the state. I'm also done with renting to people with pets.
I am not a fan of sharing financial details with people, but, to illustrate the point:

I just moved into a bigger place out towards Two Rivers and had to pay an additional $500 pet deposit. So, to move in, $1300 deposit + $800 rent = $2100 move-in for a place that's 756-ft^2.

I found out after I signed the lease (my fault for not checking ahead of time) that the electric bill here averages $130/mo in the summer and $280/mo in the winter, because the well is a very, very long ways away. So, I pay for approximately one million yards of heat tape, plus the pump house and holding tank are heated with an electric space heater (wtf), which I also pay for.

However, when I was complaining to my friend about this electric bill surprise, he told me that his place is 900-ft^2 and his electric bill is the same because he has to leave his pickup plugged in all the time (1990 1-ton diesel), his wife's car is on a timer, his plow truck plugged in as-needed, plus the whole house is on electric except for the Toyo and woodstove.

Plus, GVEA just put in for a 2.9% rate increase, and our rates just increased 15% on June 1

So, I'll just leave this here and forego the crappy advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska