U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,765,361 times

Advertisements

Apart from the weather, every thing and I do mean everything is worse here in California. A wasteland of taxes, cops pulling over citizens for clearly safe driving behavior, deliberately bad drivers, horrible parking, nasty traffic and downright ludicrous state taxes....

I have been here now a year and a half and despise it. Living with people I love in a state that I can't stand. Send ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 PM

339 posts, read 467,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sande40 View Post
==============================================
Thanks for that info. How about the areas near the Canadian Border above the Alaskan Highway ?
How cold does that area get? What about living in Alaska from say May 1st until end of September up near Central/Circle area? Is that road still open thru September?

Tok can and will get to -70, with wind chill, on a regular basis and very warm in the summer. Anc would be where I would start, and did. Temp is rather moderate, for Alaska, and you have wi-fi among other perks.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,704,615 times
glad to hear this, as i could possibly be working on ft wainwright in the near future. did you ever ski at birch hill? is it only cross country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
A few thoughts based on reading this thread: My husband was stationed at Ft. Wainwright for 2000 - 2003 and I worked at the University of AK during that time as well. We were treated wonderfully by everyone and look back on our time in Fairbanks very, very fondly.

I too saw myself as a city person who didn't have a desire to camp out or do "outdoorsy" things. As time passed, however, I found that I loved camping, hiking, or taking a canoe down the river. Still not much into fishing, but it's totally fine with me if my husband goes out for the weekend and brings back a yummy salmon or halibut.

I think the main things to enjoying Alaska if you are new are:
1. Don't tell everyone what the solution is to a problem. Don't even tell people what the problems are. You might be the problem.
2. Be willing to try new things and new foods. Try camping. Be ready to take your shoes off at the front door.
3. Redefine what success means to you. Most people I met seemed to define success as something related to being able to live a certain lifestyle (having time for family, hunting, or other interests) as opposed to what type of home you live in or car you drive. People in AK don't seem impressed by material things at all.

Last, I did not enjoy Anchorage. For a city its size I don't think there were great dining establishments and the city itself is not that pretty IMHO. Also, I would imagine it is too large to have that "we're all in this together" that some of the smaller cities have in AK. Loved Fairbanks, not that pretty of a town, but the people are wonderful.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 22,806 times
A few random questions from here in Arkansas:
We're moving to Homer this coming Spring and I'm wondering what "pests" you have that you consider the worst. Indoors and outdoors. Here we battle ticks and chiggers constantly (I dream of being able to sit on my lawn and have a picnic!) plus some snakes and scorpions! What do you have to deal with in the kitchen or out in the yard? Thanks so much!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,595,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daturasgarden View Post
A few random questions from here in Arkansas:
We're moving to Homer this coming Spring and I'm wondering what "pests" you have that you consider the worst. Indoors and outdoors. Here we battle ticks and chiggers constantly (I dream of being able to sit on my lawn and have a picnic!) plus some snakes and scorpions! What do you have to deal with in the kitchen or out in the yard? Thanks so much!
You will be pleased to know that there are no tics, chiggers, fleas, snakes, scorpions, or cockroaches in Alaska (unless you bring them with you).

We do, however, have a few "pests." Such as:
  • Mosquitoes: While we do have a lot of mosquitoes, they are not capable of carrying any diseases such as malaria or the West Nile virus. The Alaskan Snow Mosquito (Culiseta Alaskaensis) has glycol in their circulatory system instead of water. It acts as an antifreeze to keep them from freezing during the winter. They hibernate during the winter in dead trees or under dead leaves and are the first mosquito to appear during mid-April.
  • White Socks: Also known as biting black flies. They like to crawl up your boot to the top of your sock before they begin to dine on the flesh of your calf. They also leave permanent scars. So keep your boots bloused when hiking in the woods.
  • Mice/Voles/Shrews: These critters usually only become a problem during the winter. Fortunately, we also have mink, ermine (stoats), owls, and other critters that help keep their numbers manageable.
  • Moose: Moose are ornery, unpredictable, not very bright, and very large. A dangerous combination. Typically, they just go where ever they please, and we let them. If they do not feel threatened, they usually will not attack. Spring is when moose have given birth, and are on edge. They may attack without any apparent reason.
  • Bear: Bears are smart, curious critters with a sense of humor. Bears also have terrible eye-sight, but a terrific sense of smell. Food is their typical motivation, but if they feel threatened they will attack. The vast majority of people survive being mauled by a bear. The bear is not trying to kill people, just render them harmless. They have been known to break into remote cabins, but they also prefer to avoid humans when possible, so there are very few problems with bears in more populated areas.
  • Wolves: These critters are only a problem during the winter. If it is a particularly hard winter, and food is scarce, wolves have been known to come into town looking for household pets.
  • Eagles: These raptors are only a problem if you own a pet that weighs less than 10 pounds.
As far as sitting outside on the lawn and having a picnic, I would bring along a no-see-um tent. No-see-ums are also known as biting midges (Ceratopogonidae).

It can be pretty windy around Homer, and all you need is a 2-3mph wind to keep the mosquitoes and no-see-ums at bay.

Last edited by Glitch; 08-22-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Moose are ornery, unpredictable, not very bright, and very large.
Hey now...I'm not fat...

Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,595,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Hey now...I'm not fat...
Moose are actually pretty lean. Certainly more lean than caribou.

Moose are large, but trim.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM

339 posts, read 467,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Hey now...I'm not fat...

Hmmm It WAS a long hard winter this year. Not a lot to graze on My bad.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 22,806 times
Thanks so much, Glitch!! We have no-see-ums here in Arkansas as well! Quite an opposite list of pests we have but I sure will be glad to move away from the ticks...and brown recluse spiders...and copperheads!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,308,923 times
Watch out for the biggest pests, they come here every summer.

Tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or