Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,650,043 times

Advertisements

logie13 please see my last post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 AM

366 posts, read 382,733 times
and, logie13, this is the question that you asked:

Quote:
What is the best zipcode to live in? What I mean is-which zipcodes have the most educated and upwardly mobile people in Fairbanks?
You didn't ask about neighborhoods with low crime, proximity or non proximity to the city center, schools, et al. You clarified your question with the type of people with whom you would prefer to relocate among.

The "educated and upwardly mobile" do not huddle together in insular little "zipcodes" In Fairbanks, or in the rest of the state either.

It really is one of the state's best attributes, and I think that most of us are in no hurry to see that change.

Perhaps you've seen the particular question that you've broached treated differently in regards to other states. The answer to that is quite simple, really.

Last edited by Rainy; 03-25-2007 at 05:49 AM..

Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,179,453 times
I live in Anchorage, and there are log cabin shacks alongside of multimillion dollar homes. Trailer parks in some of the "best" neighborhoods. The same applies to Fairbanks, as I spend about 3 weeks a year in town there. You'll find it pretty much applies across the state. People here are much more interested in a person's personality vs. their money or education.

Some of the smartest, brightest and richest live in the most remote areas. Zip codes and neighborhoods are not an indicator of intelligence or money, and sometimes, neither are the abodes of the the people residing within.

One of the things I like most about this place is being judged first as a worthwhile human being before any one looks at the car I'm driving or the home I'm living in. It has been stated in many previous threads to people looking to relocate to Alaska, that the people here are less interested in material things and the trappings of a "successful" life.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 101,215 times
Thanks for writing back. I definitely wasn't being a snob. I did not mean to sound like one. I wrote the question because I don't want a town I relocate to be segregated in any way. I relocated from Ohio to Memphis, TN 2 years and hate it because it is segregated. I want a town where almost everyone gets along. Again, I did not mean to sound insulting. This was not my intention. Forget I said anything about the"upwardly mobile" thing. It really isn't that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I knew this was coming. And I probably started the whole thing. I for one did'nt like the way you asked that question and found it just a little insulting. You sounded like a snob...not sure if you are or not...but it sure sounded that way to me. I apologize if your not! I'm sure alot of the other states have those types of issues in regards to rich and poor, highly educated or not, black and white, this and that. Sure there are good places and bad places in any town. But we don't segregate anyone to certain neighborhoods or zip codes because of education. And it seems there is more than one zip. I had no idea. And I still have no clue what you meant by upwardly mobile? Politicians? Community leaders? Drive a nice looking RV? Private pilot? Your gonna have to break it down for me...I only made it to grade 12!
Also...not everyone posting here is from Alaska.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 PM

16 posts, read 101,215 times
See my response to Rance. Perhaps I asked the wrong question. My intention was not to offend anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I live in Anchorage, and there are log cabin shacks alongside of multimillion dollar homes. Trailer parks in some of the "best" neighborhoods. The same applies to Fairbanks, as I spend about 3 weeks a year in town there. You'll find it pretty much applies across the state. People here are much more interested in a person's personality vs. their money or education.

Some of the smartest, brightest and richest live in the most remote areas. Zip codes and neighborhoods are not an indicator of intelligence or money, and sometimes, neither are the abodes of the the people residing within.

One of the things I like most about this place is being judged first as a worthwhile human being before any one looks at the car I'm driving or the home I'm living in. It has been stated in many previous threads to people looking to relocate to Alaska, that the people here are less interested in material things and the trappings of a "successful" life.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,650,043 times
Then I think your coming to the right place. Sorry for the confusion. We just really don't go for snooty holier than thou types here. Seems more and more are trying to work their way in to Alaska, bringing attitudes and disrespect with them. Once again...I'm sorry for the smart a$$ comment earlier. Friends?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 AM

366 posts, read 382,733 times
Quote:
Oh I know...it's really a shame...seems like you get a nice little cabin and the next thing you know someone's building a mansion next door, and there goes the neighborhood.

Last edited by Marka; 08-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: per request

Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,179,453 times
Darn, and they spoiled my view too.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,908 times
Thanks for your honesty. Alaska sounds great to me. Looking for a change for sure, as I am not a city person.

20 years ago I should have moved to Alaska, hope the "ole bones" will get an opportunity soon to at least visit. Maybe the end of June.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:06 AM

606 posts, read 694,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
snowghost...maybe you're thinking of Chilkoot Charlie's? That was the cool place to go when I was there (I was college-aged then.)

stvincent:
As far as Anchorage being "conservative" or "progressive", I'd say it's somewhere in between. Many "native" Alaskans (meaning people who were born there, especially 2nd generation or more) tend to be conservative in the sense that they don't want Alaska to become another California, or Seattle or whatever. But the influx of so many different kinds of people inevitably changes the cultural, social, political, and physical landscape...for better or for worse.

Not sure if that answers your question (and hopefully someone who actually lives there now can give you better insight) but that's my take on it.
Does it mean Alaskans dislike newcomers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska