U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,682,071 times

Advertisements

I know there are people who live in them year-round up here. My friend has one on his property... they don't live in it, but when their family comes to visit for Christmas and whatall, they stay in it. I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 AM

2,604 posts, read 2,382,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^^^ I've been thinking of getting a bunch of small ones and putting them up on Air B and B.
Not a bad idea. For some reason, people LOVE yurts. A yurt with a view is worth $100+ a night on Air B&B all summer long easily. Maybe more. People go crazy for yurts. Domes and wall tents are for some reason not as cool to these people. I don't understand.

I want to start a "bud" and breakfast cannabis friendly air B&B but the only thing I can afford is the first example on this page!

Old 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Should have called this thread "examples of ridiculous Alaskan malarkey"...

Shop Cat for Sale - $100

Beautiful Siberian Cat for sale. She is a sweet cat but also likes to play. Has been a shop cat and done very well.

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/for/5976537018.html

Old 01-26-2017, 12:59 PM

20,397 posts, read 26,499,469 times
I've noticed that on the Fairbanks For Sale or Trade Facebook group -- people hawking kittens for hundreds of dollars. Lots of backyard breeders too.

BTW, anyone who thinks Alaska is full of "fiercely independent" people should take a look at some of these community social media pages. People literally begging for money everywhere. You can almost see the meth haze through the screen. I can remember when the state wasn't this way. That's one reason why I'm not really on board with ways to make Alaska great again after Big Oil. It's best to let this economic downturn take its course and weed out the population.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-26-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Yes... there was a couple begging for money to get back home on a Fairbanks FB page about a week ago. They were homeless and jobless in Alaska, but had jobs, housing, etc all lined up back home, asking for money to get back. Go figure.

On a related note, the "go fund me" craze drives me a little bit crazy.

If anything, I think folks probably rely upon friends and neighbors more here than most other places. My hat goes off to anyone who can truly make it here by themselves. I have always had difficulty asking for help, even when I needed it the most. It has been a hard thing for me to learn.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Yes... there was a couple begging for money to get back home on a Fairbanks FB page about a week ago. They were homeless and jobless in Alaska, but had jobs, housing, etc all lined up back home, asking for money to get back. Go figure.

On a related note, the "go fund me" craze drives me a little bit crazy.

If anything, I think folks probably rely upon friends and neighbors more here than most other places. My hat goes off to anyone who can truly make it here by themselves. I have always had difficulty asking for help, even when I needed it the most. It has been a hard thing for me to learn.
Yeah, I just brought propane for an employee last week. Don't really mind that sort of thing because it's been colder than usual this year, and there are a few people around I wouldn't mind buying a ticket out for provided they'd promise not to come back. I remember once when it only took a few hours to raise enough money to pay for car repairs for a woman here who really needed her vehicle for work purposes, and that sort of thing is great. But this online begging thing has gotten way out of control.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:15 PM

Here's one on POW -- this is considered cheap here:

655 S Summit St. - Klawock - Gateway City Realty

Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:

4br/2ba in 1150 ft^2?? No, thank you!!! I have lived in some pretty small places, but they've all had open floor plans. I would go nuts in a place like that, with all those walls and doors. Ack!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 PM

16,454 posts, read 21,440,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
4br/2ba in 1150 ft^2?? No, thank you!!! I have lived in some pretty small places, but they've all had open floor plans. I would go nuts in a place like that, with all those walls and doors. Ack!
I like doors. In fact, I'm trying to put as many doors as possible in my cabin. I've drawn up plans to fit 6 doors in a 2 room cabin.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 AM

2,770 posts, read 1,481,144 times
Quote:

That's cheap? Wow, I had no idea about prices on POW. Look like a "steal" alright, but not for the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or