U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM

639 posts, read 1,215,318 times
Default Movie 30 days of Night

It says it was in Barrow and totally freaked me out. Has anyone seen it? Does Barrow look anything like what they were showing?
Is there any place in Alaska that actually has 30 days of time where it is actually that totally dark? I have had 3 people call me just tonight after they have seen it asking me if Barrow was a real place and a ton of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM

15,940 posts, read 15,500,663 times
Yeah--it's that way in Barrow.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM

EEEKKK, I will put that town on a list of places I don't want to visit unless I know they are having some SUN.
Normally scary movies don't bother me at all,watched them all my life and other than the jumps during the action that was it. This one actually give me the willies. I don't think a movie has done that before except Red Dawn and I had dreams about that for years when I was a teen.
I figured I would watch it after a few friends where picking saying I needed to since I was moving into a remote area. And I was expecting it to show an area that would NOT be real meaning lots of snow,very few people,and the darkness. Now I guess I get to tell people Barrow really is like that minus the vampire type things.
I was expecting some snow( maybe even up over the houses) and people in a remote unheard of village you know how movies like to exaggerate stuff and that was what I was expecting, I got fooled if the place is really that snowy,dark,and remote.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 PM

11,764 posts, read 17,942,844 times
I'll have to watch that movie sometime.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 PM

15,940 posts, read 15,500,663 times
This is kind of interesting about Barrow:

ESPN.com - E-Ticket: The Real Frozen Tundra

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Yeah, I love me a scary movie and this one I was really into. I like movies like the old Salem's Lot,the original Exorist,and tons more. Some of them I can get into say like Mothman,and Dragonfly(which really wasn't scary),and Wrong Turn but this is one of the best I have seen in a while.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
Its funny how they film movies on Alaska and they never set foot in state.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 PM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
by Marcus at the Movies
Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Barrow, it's a nice place to visit in December and January, especially if you're a vampire. June and July is the off season.

Don't eat the red snow cones. They're not cherry flavored and this was not filmed in Alaska, but in New Zealand, of course.

Barrow is used to the cold, the dark, and polar bears wandering the streets, but the good people who live there aren't used to the likes of the stranger portrayed by Ben Foster. He's none too happy about the no alcohol policy or the menu.

"Raw hamburger?"
"Only get meat two ways. Frozen or Burnt."
"You don't bring me what I want to eat, what I want to drink."
"That's enough pal. Leave the lady be."

Josh Hartnett is the Barrow sheriff and after a few strange things on the first day of night, including finding a pile of burnt cell phones, is none to happy with this obvious tourist.

"You and me, let's go. Taking you outside."
"I would like to see that."

Our special guest gets VIP treatment and is given a complimentary stay at the fabulous Barrow Gray Bar Hilton Hotel. He doesn't care much for the accommodations anymore than he did the restaurant so he takes his frustration out on his captors by trying to freak them out with threats and scare tactics.

It works.

"They're coming."
"They? Who are they?"

It doesn't take too long until the film introduces "they."

Introducing, the sheriff's ex-wife, She's the fire marshal played by Melissa George. He wants her back but she not into him. Because of the recent chaos, she's missed her plane to Anchorage. The last one for 30 days, darn the luck.

Outside of the Barrow angle, this flesh chomping flick is the same as the rest except the shock factor is ramped up. It's gross and gory and shame again on parents that brought their 3- to 6-year-olds into this nightmare factory.

Outside of two or three clever ways to kill off these vicious visitors, I have two words to describe the film -- stupid and bloody -- or as the British would say, bloody stupid."

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,475,790 times
It's more on the order of 3 months of dark offset by the 3 months of daylight in the summer. Not having seen the movie, I couldn't comment on the similarity or lack thereof to Barrow. But if they're gonna say it's in Barrow, it ought to be filmed in Barrow.

Probably the wimpy crews and actors couldn't take the real thing.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,475,790 times
Last time I was in Barrow, Alaska Air flew in every day (sometimes 3 times a day). That was last winter (of course it was winter, darn it; they never send me to the Aleutians, the slope, or anywhere else in summer). I must have that "Kick Me" sign still attached to my back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska