U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,391 times

Advertisements

I have some household goods that I need to ship to Homer from Charleston, SC. Probably around 500 lbs (mostly boxes but a few pieces of furniture). Does anyone have any idea on where to start? I can't seem to fill in the correct search terms to find companies that do this type of shipping (as part of a larger shipment).

I also read somewhere about possibly adding the belongings on with someone who is already moving to Alaska which might be an option considering Charleston and Anchorage are both military towns. However I have no idea where to look for those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 PM

19,738 posts, read 25,839,505 times
I use Sampson to ship seafood down and supplies and equipment up. Says this on their site:

Quote:
Door to Door Less than Truckload (LTL)
Samson Tug and Barge can arrange to pick up less-than-truckload shipments whether it is from across town, or across country, and delivery to the customer's door in most ports is included in the ocean rate. We can ship any size package, large or small.

Regularly Scheduled Barge Service

Doesn't look like they dock in Homer, but they go to Seward, and they've got trucks.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,429,042 times
Lynden Freight. Give them a call. They have freight pickup and forwarding terminals around the lower 48.

Trucking to Alaska, Freight Service to Alaska | Lynden Transport

Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,077,876 times
Can you mail the boxes? 500 lbs isn't that much weight. And I'm pretty sure you can mail cheaper than freight as long as you can mail the stuff. BTW, we mailed 33 totes/boxes up from GA, and each package weighed around 50 lbs, with quite a few weighing over 60.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

1,903 posts, read 1,597,082 times
FedEx Ground and Express (air) service weight limits-out at 150#, where FedEx Freight service begins. I would also compare shipping via "mail" type services with LTL + barge.

Charleston to Homer is a heck of a long way to go LTL, and part of what often makes LTL the cheapest route is that one driver (the guy who bid the least) will take the freight from one leg to another, say Charleston to Atlanta, then drop it there until the next (cheap) guy picks it up to take it to it's next destination, maybe OK City, and so on. The route is not usually the shortest route, just the cheapest. Each time you move freight it introduces an opportunity for things to get broken or damaged. Your things often have to get offloaded, then reloaded again just to get someone else's freight off the truck.

I wouldn't move something I truly cared about LTL unless I had packaged it myself, had overseen the packaging, and/or personally knew the carrier. My dad built me some "bombproof" crates for a few family heirlooms. They added a lot of weight, but after moving back and forth across the country several times, they're unharmed.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 PM

5,105 posts, read 2,675,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
I also read somewhere about possibly adding the belongings on with someone who is already moving to Alaska which might be an option considering Charleston and Anchorage are both military towns. However I have no idea where to look for those people.

Military moves are paid for by the military. There are rules about shipping other people's belongings. Rules that could cost a military member their career.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 PM

218 posts, read 131,272 times
We are shipping a few pieces of furniture and boxes but it's going to be more than 500lbs. There are three options that we felt are realistic for us - u haul, Upack or moving company. Have you looked into any of these? We are not far from you in Sc. Do a search for Upack and you can get a quote. It's not cheap regardless of the method. We have appts for estimates from mayflower and united in a couple of weeks but they said the minimum was 1000 lbs around 50 boxes for $3500. We are also moving during peak season so demand drives prices up. ��

Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,429,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
We are shipping a few pieces of furniture and boxes but it's going to be more than 500lbs. There are three options that we felt are realistic for us - u haul, Upack or moving company. Have you looked into any of these? We are not far from you in Sc. Do a search for Upack and you can get a quote. It's not cheap regardless of the method. We have appts for estimates from mayflower and united in a couple of weeks but they said the minimum was 1000 lbs around 50 boxes for $3500. We are also moving during peak season so demand drives prices up. ��
I posted a link on who to call. It came out to about a $1.00 a pound on Lynden Freight when I moved my daughter from Anchorage to Oklahoma City. $2650 for 2500 pounds. But I opted for curbside delivery instead of terminal pickup thus the extra cost. They ship both ways, north and south and they have terminal space across the lower 48. It doesn't hurt to call.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:50 PM

218 posts, read 131,272 times
I will look into it, thanks. I assumed we were stuck to just those options. We are estimating we'll have between 5-8,000 lbs because while we are drastically shedding household items there are those items we are not willing to part with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or