Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,548 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am researching information about ADAK, I previously was stationed at Shemya while in the USAF and now have an opportunity to visit ADAK. Is there a web site that can provide information, po****tion, what's available, housing market, real estate for rent/sale, maps, etc. What about businesses, banks, schools, community services, etc? Anything that could give me a good understanding and feel for the area. I found a site (6 years old data) but didn't really touch the details I am looking for.

Thanks for your assistance
Christi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
Adak has been turned over to the Aleut people and is currently attempting to start a fish processing plant and fishing harbor. Navy housing is still there, but only about 50-100 people resident.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 19,649 times
Default Visiting Adak

I am visiting Adak this June. Here is some information that may help you.

Airline that flies to Adak: Alaska Airlines

[moderator CUT]

75 people currently reside on the island permanently, this increases with summer season. There is a small store (limited operating hours), gas station (limited operating hours), school cafeteria is open a few nights per week functioning as a restaurant. There are no restrictions on visiting the island or bringing firearms beyond what the airline requires. Let me know if you need more info than that.

Craig

Last edited by Marka; 03-26-2006 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-27-2006, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 40,246 times
Default Info on Adak

Check out this website. http://www.adakisland.com.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM

A lot of the info on that site is outdated...I found out the hard way.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM

Just noticed the moderator deleted all the phone numbers and contacts I posted. Not very helpful. If you want the info that was deleted you can write me directly at

"perimeterjones@hotmail.com"

Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
Yes, the moderator did delete all the details. Read the forum rules, please - no direct advertising. There is always email and private messages.
Take care.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,633 times
I've heard that you can live in the military housing if you are willing to commit to living there for five years. Is this true? If so, how do you go about getting it? If not, how do you arrange to obtain one of the abandoned houses?

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,345 times
My name is David Pederson and my wife and I were stationed on Adak from 1984-1986.
We loved ADAK, it was a special place and we would like to to come back. I contacted Paul Peterson who was a teacher there for awhile and I have completed my teaching certification. I would like to know if the low cost housing is still available and if there are any jobs available currently. I can do almost anything and I am retired from the military now. Is there still a good sized Caribou herd on the Island? Does the Coast Guard still patrol and drop people off at the cabins on the south end of the island? I sure hope someone there can answer these questions for me. I am really hoping I can once again come home. I love ADAK!!! It is truly GOD's ountry and it would be wonderful to be home once again. Also, is there a Doctor and
Dentist there? I hope this gets to someone who can help me, believe me I am ready to
pack up and get home. Thanks in advance for assisting me.

David Pederson

Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
You do know that they closed the base down don't you??

Page Title | About | Adak Island

ADAK NAVAL AIR STATION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska