Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,458 times

Advertisements

My daughter (25) is an elementary school teacher, and is moving to King Cove in Late July.

Here is the issue. She needs to pack up her low mileage Ford Crown Vic, hopefully packing it with her belongings, then shipping it to Anchorage, then ferry it out to King Cove. (buying another car won't work for us, thanks). She will sell and leave the car there in few years, so no return for it is necessary.

So, any ideas about this? Any tips, or any great deals we may not see just by surfing the net? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
You say "us." Are you moving to Alaska as well?

Might make more sense to ditch the car and get an atv instead. I haven't been to King Cove but this is the case in a lot of smaller communities not on the road system. Why does she not just ask her new future co-workers what they did?

The implication that she's going into rural/bush Alaska teaching without intending to (or at least being open to) sticking with it is kinda sad. Kids have too much teacher churn as it is.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Crown Vic? ATV?

Sounds like someone needs to do a little more research.

"the road system in King Cove is fairly limited, consisting of a few gravel roads in and out of the community"

Unless she plans to live in it, might want to leave the Crown Vic at home.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 AM

195 posts, read 278,518 times
If you don't mind me asking, does she really need a car out there? I'm also a bush teacher and I live in a village farther north on the peninsula (same general area) and nobody has cars. Like the other poster said, everyone has ATV's that they use to get around. King Cove is quite a bit bigger than where I live, so maybe there is a need, but I'd seriously look into getting some other form of transportation. Also, will the school not provide any form of transportation? My district has two trucks and/or ATV's available for teachers to use to run errands (post office, store, clinic, etc). Has she checked to make sure something like this isn't already available for her to use?

If you are serious about shipping it out, be aware of the cost. I know someone who shipped a car to a village on the peninsula (WAY north of King Cove) this summer and it cost them $2,000. I'd imagine it will be more expensive than that to get something all the way out to where your daughter is teaching. Heck, it cost me $1,000 just to ship a car to Juneau a few years ago. Also, if possible, she should drive the car to ANC instead of shipping. The ALCAN trip is really incredible. My husband and I have done it twice in the last 5 years and it's been spectacular both times.

Good luck to her on her new teaching adventure!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

The implication that she's going into rural/bush Alaska teaching without intending to (or at least being open to) sticking with it is kinda sad. Kids have too much teacher churn as it is.
This is one of the reasons I chose to have my offspring educated elsewhere. One of the best decisions I ever made. With the temporary teachers and the emphasis on sports above all else, the Alaska schools aren't worth a ****. The school here has come close to losing its accreditation several time despite almost drowning in oil money at one time. Yet every time I take the ferry to Ketchikan, the thing is teeming with those rude sports teams and the so-called adults who company them.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-08-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I'm originally from Cold Bay, which is about 30 miles from King Cove. First of all, a Crown Vic is absolutely not suited for King Cove. 4x4 pickup truck or Jeep is the only way to go. The easiest way to get a vehicle to King Cove is by Alaska Marine Highway ferry out of Homer or Whittier. But you will have to accompany the vehicle. Other than that, it will have to be shipped there by ship or barge. If she's single, a four wheeler would work.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
The Alaska Marine Highway has a ferry run from Homer out to King Cove: Alaska Marine Highway System - Route Guide

Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
My daughter (25) is an elementary school teacher, and is moving to King Cove in Late July.

Here is the issue. She needs to pack up her low mileage Ford Crown Vic, hopefully packing it with her belongings, then shipping it to Anchorage, then ferry it out to King Cove. (buying another car won't work for us, thanks). She will sell and leave the car there in few years, so no return for it is necessary.

So, any ideas about this? Any tips, or any great deals we may not see just by surfing the net? Thanks.
I've never been to King COve, but I do not think a vehicle will be needed. As a matter of fact, I strongly recommend just bringing her clothes, some food (quite a bit) and some items that will make her happy.

This is my fifth year in the bush, and unless she wants to run the possibility of losing a lot of money, just do the first year without the car.

Also, if dead set on shipping a vehicle, check for shipping out of seattle, might cost the same.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Yeah, ditch the car. Sounds like your daughter's in it for the money anyway, and from what it sounds like, she won't be able to sell the car when she leaves.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is one of the reasons I chose to have my offspring educated elsewhere. One of the best decisions I ever made. With the temporary teachers and the emphasis on sports above all else, the Alaska schools aren't worth a ****. The school here has come close to losing its accreditation several time despite almost drowning in oil money at one time. Yet every time I take the ferry to Ketchikan, the thing is teeming with those rude sports teams and the so-called adults who company them.
Not to get too much into the politics of it, but one of the problems is the instability of the funding, rather than the quantity of it. Because districts can't predict from one year to the next how much they'll be receiving, even when the funding is generous, they have to be careful about salaries and benefits, because that's a long-term commitment. So they'll dump extra funds in flush years into tech (which may or may not be fully utilized), facilities (which may or may not be needed), professional dev sessions (which may or may not be applicable), etc. (Or they'll follow Anc's modus operandi, which is to hire a zillion teachers and paras at generous rates, then decide they're broke, and pink slip everyone a year later...) I'd like to see a state ed fund managed like the dividend is, or at least a commitment from the state to multi-year budget minimums for education, so districts could actually plan long-term, particularly when it comes to staffing and curriculum. Some years districts need to make hiring and program decisions before they even know what the following year's funding formula will be, which is ridiculous.

We also need a greater commitment from the UA system to training local people to teach at their own local schools. But that's a separate can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska