U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 AM

280 posts, read 122,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Mt. Washington in New Hampshire in the windiest place in North America. And there are inhabited places in the USA that are quite windy. The Great Plains are quite windy too, and many places in that region colder than the Aleutian Islands during the winter.

Anchorage is colder than Attu and I live in Anchorage. Although I have not set foot on Attu, I've seen it on a rare sunny day from Shemya. You very obviously have never spent even one day in the Aleutians or you would not be asking these questions. As I've said several times, go to Adak, spend some time there and then come back here and tells us why nobody wants to make a go at a community in Attu. The Aleutians are not like any where else on earth and defy description. It's a place where you have to think about which way your vehicle is pointed before opening the door so the wind doesn't rip the door out of your hands and bend the hinges backwards. The Great Plains have nothing, I mean nothing, compared to the wind in the Aleutians.

Also, I've been to Mt. Washington several times. There is a road to the top of the mountain and still no one lives there. There are no roads to the Aleutians and people do live there - just not Attu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 PM

1,559 posts, read 832,691 times
Quote:
Other than the weather, why is there no one living there?
Lack of infrastructure and resources. To gain either would only come at a prohibitive cost.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 PM

842 posts, read 612,580 times
Just move there and quit wasting our time with stupid questions!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 PM

20,454 posts, read 26,583,914 times
*You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Music_Man again.*

Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 PM

447 posts, read 580,096 times
I recall a certain user of long ago who imagined grand resettlements and fantastic projects of this scale. Disneyland of the North on Little Diomede. Mall of the Arctic in Barrow (complete with water park). Reverse Dubai in Nome, where you can relax and surf on indoor sunny beaches with palm islands & skyscrapers. Huge Copper mine tourist complex in McCarthy. Wait, that one is real, sorta. I think. Anyway, what Attu needs is some good ol'fashioned ingenuity and a couple of crazy people with a dream and a prayer.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 AM

1,606 posts, read 568,266 times
Quote:
It would be kind of cool to establish a port city on Attu. With the population of the USA, we need to consider more places to live.
Huh?

The United States is one of the least densely populated countries in the world. England isn't built out yet, still has a lot of rural land, and is 12x as densely population as the United States. Belgium is well over 100x as densely population as Montana.

And yet you think we're so hard up for square feet that we have to settle the most far-flung reaches of the Aleutians?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 AM

4,285 posts, read 7,899,960 times
Haha.. yeah I didn't meant to make said wealthy man a total weirdo.

It's too bad Attu won't be resettled anytime soon... I guess the feds think it's a national security issue.

Only someone wanting to tell folks "I live in the westernmost part of the country" would be interested../

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Fixed it for you. No, you couldn't. Federal government has ownership.

It'd be difficult to come up with a more unpleasant place to live, but keep trying!

Last edited by Vicman; 10-25-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 01:23 PM

280 posts, read 122,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
It's too bad Attu won't be resettled anytime soon... I guess the feds think it's a national security issue.

Only someone wanting to tell folks "I live in the westernmost part of the country" would be interested../
No, not a national security issue. Wildlife Refuge and National Historic Landmark.

Also, you can argue that you would be in the easternmost part of the country as Attu is in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 AM

4,285 posts, read 7,899,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
No, not a national security issue. Wildlife Refuge and National Historic Landmark.

Also, you can argue that you would be in the easternmost part of the country as Attu is in the Eastern Hemisphere.
I was thinking national security issue as the Attuans had been kidnapped by the Japanese back in WWII (in other words easy for a foreign power to seize the area) but I can see why the feds now want the place to be unspoiled too.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 PM

48 posts, read 195,120 times
Too much unexploded ordenance to settle in Attu. Would cost millions to "safe" the island. Coast Guard was there with a small detachment but I understand they have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska