U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
 
4,174 posts, read 7,696,848 times
Reputation: 1471

Advertisements

I heard about Attu Island, the westernmost Alaska Island that had its residents kidnapped by the Japanese in the 1940s. The survivors were unable to return. There was a LORAN station but it closed several years ago.

Here's a hypothetical question: Say a very wealthy man decided he wanted to repopulate Attu with himself and his brothers and sisters. Would they be able to buy land in Attu, or would the federal and/or state governments try to block the purchase? Who owns the former village area in Attu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 PM
 
19,623 posts, read 25,757,328 times
Reputation: 11582
Never mind.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-28-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 AM
 
8,501 posts, read 8,702,696 times
Reputation: 4338
Attu Island is roughly 2400 miles from North Korea. The Sep 15th 2017 missile launch was 2300 miles.

Attu island is technically an abandoned coast guard station.

I am wondering if North Korea would consider bombing this island. It would be an attack on US soil with no casualties. It might be more symbolic than actually firing over Guam.

I wonder what we would do if he tries something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 AM
 
4,174 posts, read 7,696,848 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Attu Island is roughly 2400 miles from North Korea. The Sep 15th 2017 missile launch was 2300 miles.

Attu island is technically an abandoned coast guard station.

I am wondering if North Korea would consider bombing this island. It would be an attack on US soil with no casualties. It might be more symbolic than actually firing over Guam.

I wonder what we would do if he tries something like that.
Aww, don't give Kim Jong-un ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: USA
15,598 posts, read 15,265,169 times
Reputation: 11558
Are you trying to create your own community of imbreds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2017, 04:25 PM
 
4,001 posts, read 1,854,090 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Say a very wealthy man decided he wanted to repopulate Attu with himself and his brothers and sisters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM
 
Location: SE Alaska
2,414 posts, read 1,276,781 times
Reputation: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I heard about Attu Island, the westernmost Alaska Island that had its residents kidnapped by the Japanese in the 1940s. The survivors were unable to return. There was a LORAN station but it closed several years ago.

Here's a hypothetical question: Say a very wealthy man decided he wanted to repopulate Attu with himself and his brothers and sisters and their spouses. Would they be able to buy land in Attu, or would the federal and/or state governments try to block the purchase? Who owns the former village area in Attu?
Fixed it for you. No, you couldn't. Federal government has ownership.

It'd be difficult to come up with a more unpleasant place to live, but keep trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
228 posts, read 85,662 times
Reputation: 391
Spend a year living on Adak, which you can do, and see how much you still want to populate Attu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,521 posts, read 3,783,892 times
Reputation: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Spend a year living on Adak, which you can do, and see how much you still want to populate Attu.
You misspelled "week".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 10:43 AM
 
43,443 posts, read 41,740,136 times
Reputation: 13900
It would be kind of cool to establish a port city on Attu. With the population of the USA, we need to consider more places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top