U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM

1,851 posts, read 766,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post
Thanks everyone, your replies were very helpful. I think we will take the ferry, we just need to pin down our dates ASAP at this point. Since that is the plan, I am wondering if it would be worth our time to stop at any of the Canadian ports along the way (Prince Rupert, Bella Coola). I think this would mean driving into
BC, boarding a BC ferry and then catching the Alaska ferry. Seems like a lot of trouble...

One more question regarding the ferry for those who have been and reserved a cabin: did you find that you had to jockey for position to get a good spot on deck with folks who were staked out camping? This is my only real concern at this point as I'd want to be able to enjoy being on deck during the day/when the weather is nice...

Thanks again for your help everyone.
Not really worth your trouble stopping in BC, IMO. The Alaska ferry does stop there, so you could break up your trip by getting off there for a couple days, if so desired, then catch a later ferry up to Alaska. A side road trip to the very scenic Stewart/Hyder area would be convenient from Rupert. Of course, breaking up the itinerary would cost more with the Alaska Marine Highway.

Regarding the decks, there should be plenty of good standing room off the back, which is the most expansive and protected area. Surprisingly, not that many people want to hang there unless the weather is ideal. Remember that it's usually quite cool on the ocean, so bring some warm gear. The deck chairs are limited and taken fairly quickly though, so if you plan to spend most of the day outside it's a good idea to stake your claim early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 AM

5,343 posts, read 5,267,644 times
A few years ago I took the ferry from Whittier to Bellingham. Half the trip was on the Kennicott and half was on the Columbia. Here are a few things I remember from the trip.

On the Kennicott only the 4 berth staterooms had bathrooms. Even though I was traveling by myself I did not want to have to go down the hall to the restroom in the middle of the night so I went with the 4 berth. One of the berths made into a couch.

The Columbia has bathrooms in both the 2 and 4 berth staterooms. I went with the 2 berth stateroom. Did not have a berth that made into a couch. There were a couple hard back old style kitchen chairs to sit on.

If you are bringing lots of luggage you might want to consider the 4 berth stateroom. The staterooms only have a tiny open space that serves as the closet.

The bathrooms in the staterooms are fair sized. They have a real toilet and not something like you see in an airplane or on a train.

You are responsible for getting your luggage to and from the ferry. If you want you can place your luggage in a cart that gets towed to the car deck. However it is not secure at all. There is an elevator from the car deck to the rest of the decks.

The Columbia has both a full service dining room and a food court. The Kennicott only has a food court. The food court on the Kennicott was much better than the one on the Columbia. Both food courts have a public use microwave. There are also junk food and drink vending machines.

I see some of the sailings use the ferry Malaspina. That is one of the older mainline ferries. Have not ridden it in over 40 years so I do not know how it is now.

Here are the deck layouts for the Columbia and the Kennicott

Columbia

Kennicott

June is the start of tourist season in Alaska. Expect the ferry to be full. Passengers are not suppose to store their luggage on the deck chairs to hold them while they are somewhere else. But they do it anyway. Families tend to stake out much of the lounge area.

If you book online you might not be assigned your actual stateroom until you board. I would call their customer service and see if you can get a room assignment. As I said in my earlier post you don't want rooms 109 thru 124 on the Columbia. If you can't get a room assigned before hand then I would have one of you make a beeline to the pursers desk as soon as you can board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska