U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:01 AM

5,330 posts, read 14,342,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm confused. How can you possibly consider retiring to someplace you've never been. Especially a place as remote as Whittier?
IMHO, you put places on your list that you want to consider, whether you've visited them or not. We just visited an area for the first time and eliminated it from our retirement list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:16 AM

1,348 posts, read 1,657,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
We just visited an area for the first time and eliminated it from our retirement list.
Gee, ya think?

Old Today, 11:08 AM

6,419 posts, read 12,519,794 times
Quote:
I appreciate all of the information. All that I know about the place so far is what i have read.
Well you got a good group of folks on this forum who would have some good insights, I'd think. If you're looking for actually remote with community, I think I'd suggest something more like Valdez, Cordova, or Seldovia. If you're looking for a town that's just on the perimeter but easily accessible, I think I'd take a look at Homer, Soldotna, Talkeetna, etc.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 4,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I have not visited, but this is not a decision that I would make without doing so.

Come on up and give it a try. There are several B&Bs that operate out of the condos in the Begich Towers. You'd get a first hand look at the place and could decide how you might like living there.

Old Today, 04:21 PM

589 posts, read 839,686 times
Quote:
I'm confused. How can you possibly consider retiring to someplace you've never been. Especially a place as remote as Whittier?

And yes, I've been there dozens of times.

I'm very early in the process. Something about the place intrigues me. Nothing more than that at present.

Old Today, 04:48 PM

18,437 posts, read 23,033,082 times
Quote:

And yes, I've been there dozens of times.
You're confused, all right -- about the purpose of this forum. It's primarily a relocation forum. That means that its purpose is for people like the OP to ask questions about various locations and hopefully get the perspective of locals. The reason for doing this is usually to make a decision about whether a visit is in order or whether the place should be crossed off the list. Forums like this are often the first step in someone's relocation process.

Is that clear enough for you? If it isn't, take a look at the other forums here. People consider moving to places they've never been all the time. Why don't you go troll those forums? You aren't impressing anyone here.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Today at 05:17 PM..

Old Today, 05:07 PM

589 posts, read 839,686 times
I'm considering a number of places that I have never visited. Some of them aren't even in the United States. I won't choose any of them without a visit and spending a few days there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska