U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM

716 posts, read 918,474 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering the possibility of retiring in Whittier. The idea of living in Begich Tower and possibly not leaving the building for several days at a time is not really bothersome. I have read about the tunnel, with one-way travel every 30 minutes (with a toll, and that it closes at night). I also know that a trip into Anchorage (about an hour each way) is necessary for shopping and most other business, because there isn't much in Whittier.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight, or maybe some information that I haven't already found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM

1,954 posts, read 885,104 times
Be aware that you'd be moving from a desert environment to a place that sees approximately 200 inches of rain AND 200 inches of snow a year. Quite a contrast.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 PM

63 posts, read 19,484 times
Have you ever been there? It's an odd group of people that live in that tower, which is pretty much the whole town.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 PM

6,483 posts, read 12,958,917 times
Whittier is a strange place. I've talked to folks who live there multiple times and they always just strike me as strange.

It seems like an odd place to choose honestly. It's isolated, but not private. If that's what you want, go for it.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:01 PM

160 posts, read 121,331 times
Whittier is very busy in the summer time with tourists and seasonal workers and in the winter time the place is literally a ghost town. Almost everything is shut down. Other than the Begich Towers there are a few small cabin style homes that you could live in but you wouldn't be able to drive all the way up to them in winter because of all the snow.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 PM

15,576 posts, read 32,884,176 times
Get a boat. My brother pretty much lives on his sailboat out of Whittier all summer long. Whales, rock fish, shrimping, hiking...he loves it out there.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Have you ever been there? It's an odd group of people that live in that tower, which is pretty much the whole town.
I have not visited, but this is not a decision that I would make without doing so.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:21 AM

239 posts, read 132,235 times
Whittier is beautiful and usually try to visit at least once a year. One or two hours is all that's needed to drive around town and up the mountain.

There is good hiking in Whittier and on the other side in Portage too. However carry a firearm and some bear spray.

The second dirt road on the left just over the train tracks goes about 1-1.5 miles back. Two old WWII munitions bunkers still exist, but they are now closed. There is other WWII related stuff, but you can only really see it by boat if my memory serves me correct.

When driving up Shotgun Cove Rd there is a small park with some grills (Lu Young Park). You can walk down to the water from there and stroll along the shoreline for a bit. It's really picturesque with a small cute cottage along the ravine that is pouring into passage canal.

Continuing up the road will get some decent elevation and more picture opportunities. Eventually reaching the end, but the road become un-groomed for about a mile - continue on till the end and you will be rewarded with a small hike back to a waterfall. You can also clearly see a bridge was supposed to be built here since there is more road on the other side of a large gap. Many people will hike this long road, be careful of bears and local drunks at this spot. The drunks come out later in the season and will stay throughout the year.

Just some information!

Old 04-02-2017, 04:04 PM

I appreciate all of the information. All that I know about the place so far is what i have read.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,788,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I appreciate all of the information. All that I know about the place so far is what i have read.
I'm confused. How can you possibly consider retiring to someplace you've never been. Especially a place as remote as Whittier?

And yes, I've been there dozens of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska