U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 504 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've read some post..I see a lot of people say the cost of living is high.. but How high?

Can someone That lives in Anchorage give me an insight?

I live in Atlanta, GA.. I'm paying about $1500 for a 2 bed Apt... Gas.. about $2.60 for 93oct...

How much does Apt, Gas, Food,.. etc cost in Anchorage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
15,264 posts, read 23,925,410 times
Reputation: 10697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoo View Post
I've read some post..I see a lot of people say the cost of living is high.. but How high?

Can someone That lives in Anchorage give me an insight?

I live in Atlanta, GA.. I'm paying about $1500 for a 2 bed Apt... Gas.. about $2.60 for 93oct...

How much does Apt, Gas, Food,.. etc cost in Anchorage?
Here you go. Look at page 26 for the cost of living, and compare the numbers to the place where you live at. It does not matter if you pay a high rent or not, since all other numbers (compound) have to be taken into consideration (rent is just one of the numbers):
http://fnsb.us/cp/Community%20Resear...ly/Current.pdf

For example, the cost of living in Anchorage during the last quarter (or winter) 2016 has been 130%, while Phoenix, AZ it has been 97%, and 98% in Atlanta. Then NYC is has been around 227% for the same time period, making the big apple one of the most expensive places in the nation.

It means that if you live in Atlanta and the cost of living is 98%, to live in Anchorage it would be approximately 32% more expensive (32% is a big chunk of your wages). To make matters worst, the AK's economy is in the tank at the moment.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-04-2017 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 PM
 
1,356 posts, read 689,701 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoo View Post
I've read some post..I see a lot of people say the cost of living is high.. but How high?

Can someone That lives in Anchorage give me an insight?

I live in Atlanta, GA.. I'm paying about $1500 for a 2 bed Apt... Gas.. about $2.60 for 93oct...

How much does Apt, Gas, Food,.. etc cost in Anchorage?
I am from the metro Atlanta area. Rent in the city will be about the same. Difference will be the quality of the place.

Everything else is much cheaper in ATL. Much. I'd say by about 25%. If something costs $1 in ATL it's going to be around $1.25-$1.50
Depending on how you are, I personally think you will need to make at least $50k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 AM
 
3,433 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Here you go. Look at page 26 for the cost of living, and compare the numbers to the place where you live at. It does not matter if you pay a high rent or not, since all other numbers (compound) have to be taken into consideration (rent is just one of the numbers):
http://fnsb.us/cp/Community%20Resear...ly/Current.pdf

For example, the cost of living in Anchorage during the last quarter (or winter) 2016 has been 130%, while Phoenix, AZ it has been 97%, and 98% in Atlanta. Then NYC is has been around 227% for the same time period, making the big apple one of the most expensive places in the nation.

It means that if you live in Atlanta and the cost of living is 98%, to live in Anchorage it would be approximately 32% more expensive (32% is a big chunk of your wages). To make matters worst, the AK's economy is in the tank at the moment.
Rent prices are actually slipping, I am on a facebook apartment rental sub forum and I made a comment when I started seeing places going for 1050 and that includes all utilities and I said almost to 3 figures lol, no response. I think land lords are not happy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 AM
 
3,433 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I am from the metro Atlanta area. Rent in the city will be about the same. Difference will be the quality of the place.

Everything else is much cheaper in ATL. Much. I'd say by about 25%. If something costs $1 in ATL it's going to be around $1.25-$1.50
Depending on how you are, I personally think you will need to make at least $50k a year.
average pay in anchorage is 77k a year last time I looked. 50k wont cut it unless you have some speical circumstances that reduce your bills (free place to stay etc). You will just barely make on 50k and forget any amazon habit you might have on 50k a year. I would not even come up here for less than 77-80k a year, its just not worth it, you have to scrimp way too much at 50k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 02:18 AM
 
1,356 posts, read 689,701 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
average pay in anchorage is 77k a year last time I looked. 50k wont cut it unless you have some speical circumstances that reduce your bills (free place to stay etc). You will just barely make on 50k and forget any amazon habit you might have on 50k a year. I would not even come up here for less than 77-80k a year, its just not worth it, you have to scrimp way too much at 50k.
Pitt, I know quite a few people that survive on 50k with kids even. They aren't living for free. Matter of fact, they are paying normal rent prices.

Despite what you say, not everyone eats pizza and drinks beer or drives a gas guzzling truck.


Matter of fact, my family has decided to go to one income. We are staying in the bush, where it is even more expensive. Just won't be able to eat our next year and will probably cut our internet usage in half. That is our two main cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 AM
 
3,433 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Pitt, I know quite a few people that survive on 50k with kids even. They aren't living for free. Matter of fact, they are paying normal rent prices.

Despite what you say, not everyone eats pizza and drinks beer or drives a gas guzzling truck.


Matter of fact, my family has decided to go to one income. We are staying in the bush, where it is even more expensive. Just won't be able to eat our next year and will probably cut our internet usage in half. That is our two main cuts.
They survive, thats all people on 50k do in most parts of AK. My gas is not the issue, its rent/mortgage prices (and we even got a smokin deal on a house and put alot down and its still 4 figures a month not including utilities).


When people start talking about 20$ extra in gas I dont get it because the 800 lb gorrilas in the room are housing and real estate at least in the anchorage area. Its not the 20-40 extra bucks for gas in my truck per month which is about all it is extra, though the cost of vehicals (non trashy ones) is another non trivial expense, especially up here.


Also internet is starting to get out of hand as well as cell service, but so long as state and federal entities want to allow anti trust violations to run rampant and not tarrif internet even though its integral to daily life in the 21st centruy is hurting Alaskans. Even if you cut internet down its still easily 150 a month for 3 cell phones and home internet and thats if you have a stone age plan where one youtube video sinks you.


I could not even imagine not being able to buy some office supply for my home office or a computer part or anything really because I had my budget down to every last can of soda. Is this what a significant portion of my country men have accepted as a standard of living? Where you HAVE to eat the oat meal packet even though that morning you want a mcmuffin?


How will you make it in the bush without a super cub? I know I might get boos and hisses but cub flying is kind of an alaska thing but you are most certianly not going to own and operate a cub on 50k a year.


Can you save a 2 year safety fund on a 50k a year? Because thats what it takes (if not more) to replace a job in AK these days. Perhaps if we did not have such poor job security up here (and really anywhere that is "at-will"), 50k would be ok as you would not have to have a rest of your life safety fund to find a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 AM
 
181 posts, read 158,005 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
They survive, thats all people on 50k do in most parts of AK. My gas is not the issue, its rent/mortgage prices (and we even got a smokin deal on a house and put alot down and its still 4 figures a month not including utilities).


When people start talking about 20$ extra in gas I dont get it because the 800 lb gorrilas in the room are housing and real estate at least in the anchorage area. Its not the 20-40 extra bucks for gas in my truck per month which is about all it is extra, though the cost of vehicals (non trashy ones) is another non trivial expense, especially up here.


Also internet is starting to get out of hand as well as cell service, but so long as state and federal entities want to allow anti trust violations to run rampant and not tarrif internet even though its integral to daily life in the 21st centruy is hurting Alaskans. Even if you cut internet down its still easily 150 a month for 3 cell phones and home internet and thats if you have a stone age plan where one youtube video sinks you.


I could not even imagine not being able to buy some office supply for my home office or a computer part or anything really because I had my budget down to every last can of soda. Is this what a significant portion of my country men have accepted as a standard of living? Where you HAVE to eat the oat meal packet even though that morning you want a mcmuffin?


How will you make it in the bush without a super cub? I know I might get boos and hisses but cub flying is kind of an alaska thing but you are most certianly not going to own and operate a cub on 50k a year.


Can you save a 2 year safety fund on a 50k a year? Because thats what it takes (if not more) to replace a job in AK these days. Perhaps if we did not have such poor job security up here (and really anywhere that is "at-will"), 50k would be ok as you would not have to have a rest of your life safety fund to find a new job.

I agree and you're absolutely correct. I think Haolejohn is talking about disposable income. I believe rural teacher salaries are quite good plus free health care, subsidized/free housing and student loan forgiveness. It does indeed cost a lot more to live in Alaska than most places. I finally left after 38 years in Fairbanks.

As you correctly point out, you can get by on $50K, which won't be a net figure, but you will make ends meet and that's about it with an occasional treat along the way. The state is so lopsided that it is almost impossible for the regular person to make a good go of it.

You're right about the Super Cub too. I've had two; one new and a replacement after I wore it out 25 years later. I never realized that chrome molly and fabric were considered precious materials! Prices today are staggering and I can't even comprehend buying back my C-206.

Talk about houses - Most all of the banks for example won't loan on a home if the payment will exceed 28% of the salary. That leaves only $1,150 a month for a mortgage payment and you certainly will not have much at that rate.

$50K is a comfortable maintenance income and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
15,264 posts, read 23,925,410 times
Reputation: 10697
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I agree and you're absolutely correct. I think Haolejohn is talking about disposable income. I believe rural teacher salaries are quite good plus free health care, subsidized/free housing and student loan forgiveness. It does indeed cost a lot more to live in Alaska than most places. I finally left after 38 years in Fairbanks.

As you correctly point out, you can get by on $50K, which won't be a net figure, but you will make ends meet and that's about it with an occasional treat along the way. The state is so lopsided that it is almost impossible for the regular person to make a good go of it.

You're right about the Super Cub too. I've had two; one new and a replacement after I wore it out 25 years later. I never realized that chrome molly and fabric were considered precious materials! Prices today are staggering and I can't even comprehend buying back my C-206.

Talk about houses - Most all of the banks for example won't loan on a home if the payment will exceed 28% of the salary. That leaves only $1,150 a month for a mortgage payment and you certainly will not have much at that rate.

$50K is a comfortable maintenance income and nothing more.
You are correct. If struggling in the lower-48 and wanting to move to Alaska, one has to consider that it's more difficult to struggle up here than it is there, because of the higher cost of living, the state of the Alaska economy, and its isolation from the rest of the US. Over there you can easily drive to nearby States to look for work or just to stay with family members. In here we have to drive through Canada.

A lot of people don't realize that a large number of people are struggling to survive in Alaska. And yes, they are just making ends meet. All one has to do is to look at the homeless shelters, or just to spend some time looking around the dumpsites in Fairbanks and North Pole, where even children are seen dumpster diving.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-23-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 AM
 
1,356 posts, read 689,701 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I agree and you're absolutely correct. I think Haolejohn is talking about disposable income. I believe rural teacher salaries are quite good plus free health care, subsidized/free housing and student loan forgiveness. It does indeed cost a lot more to live in Alaska than most places. I finally left after 38 years in Fairbanks.

As you correctly point out, you can get by on $50K, which won't be a net figure, but you will make ends meet and that's about it with an occasional treat along the way. The state is so lopsided that it is almost impossible for the regular person to make a good go of it.

You're right about the Super Cub too. I've had two; one new and a replacement after I wore it out 25 years later. I never realized that chrome molly and fabric were considered precious materials! Prices today are staggering and I can't even comprehend buying back my C-206.

Talk about houses - Most all of the banks for example won't loan on a home if the payment will exceed 28% of the salary. That leaves only $1,150 a month for a mortgage payment and you certainly will not have much at that rate.

$50K is a comfortable maintenance income and nothing more.
Free healthcare? Free housing? Student loan forgiveness? Lol sure. If $5k after five years is considered forgiveness. Which is a one time thing.
You are a little outdated in your views of teaching in the bush.

I pay $1400/month for housing. I have to pay that year round. I'm responsible for all utilities.
I pay $500 month for health care with a sky high deductible and no travel reimbursement (family plan btw)

Salary is a little higher than on the road, and I make more than $50k but I'll be making just enough. Thankfully we are at a point where we only have student loan debt.

$50k at least is doable depending on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top