Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM

339 posts, read 722,887 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Bug season is coming!

My husband and I have been in AK for 9 years.. we had a baby this year and are trying to figure out how to protect her this summer without slathering on the DEET.

Ideas!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 PM

20,247 posts, read 36,941,411 times
Well, when the baby is asleep you can use a mosquito net that covers the whole crib or bed. Amazon and numerous other stores sell mosquito nets or difference sizes and shapes. You can use such nets whenever the baby is asleep, even at the park and other places, but you will have to set-up a frame for it if not at home. At the park once you have made a rig of frame to hang the net from, you just tuck the bottom edge of the net under the edge of the pad or mattress the baby is sleeping at.

I prefer the rectangular nets that are about a twin-size bed. These have tying points at all the corners and the middle. I usually buy them at the Army/Navy Surplus stores.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-05-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,147,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post

My husband and I have been in AK for 9 years.. we had a baby this year and are trying to figure out how to protect her this summer without slathering on the DEET.

Ideas!?
The wife said we use some sort of eucalyptus and lemon grass type stuff and she'd spray stuff, but not the baby. We have pics somewhere where we just put a military surplus head net over our kids. We occasionally used deet because that is all that works sometimes.

Also skin so soft supposedly works.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,095,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post

Ideas!?
I use the Cutter brand lemon eucalyptus mosquito repellent. I live on the border of MN and ND and we have a very old property with lots of vegetation and mosquitos, bees and ticks thrive in our yard.

I wore this every day last spring and summer, and I garden and am in the yard multiple times daily from dawn til night. I can't swear that I didn't get one bite, but I can swear I don't remember getting bitten at all.

And, I am very paranoid about mosquitos because our area has confirmed west nile mosquitos and I am a survivor of lyme disease which I got in 2001....And, I have taken my protection from ticks and mosquitos very seriously since then.

I researched last year, and while I cannot remember where the link was, I read a lot of homeopathic websites and this Cutter lemon eucalyptus was touted as a deet replacement. Found it.....ETA http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garde...e-as-deet.html

I also bought bottles for my son's girlfriends children, one of which was a 2 year old....because it works and it is not harmful.

It also smells great. A plus when you wear mosquito repellent like I do all summer long. I also use it on my bulldog.

I buy it at Walmart....But I'm sure that you'll find it in most big box stores, or online. It is not a spray, it is a pump spray, which I prefer and I think it lasts longer because of this ability to apply it directly where you want it. I buy several bottles at once to have on hand. And, I also give them to friends to protect them...as I did with my son's girlfriends little ones.

I still have 3 of the 5 bottles that I bought last year...So it goes a long way. I'd say two bottles would last a family of 3 all summer.

So, I recommend this to you.

here is a link so that you can see the bottle to be able to find it at your store.
Cutter® Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent (Pump Spray) | Cutter

Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 PM

468 posts, read 793,867 times
I use a product from Alpenglow. It is a company that uses natural ingredients and is locally owned in Anchor Point. I buy it at the farmer's market in Homer but she sells it at several stores around Homer or it can be ordered online. It works amazingly well.
Alpenglow - Insect Repellent

Disclaimer-Our kids do go to school together but I am in no way affiliated with the company. I just love her products. I also have her shampoo, body soaps, and cottonwood balm...which is great for all sorts of skin issues.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I use the Cutter brand lemon eucalyptus mosquito repellent. I live on the border of MN and ND and we have a very old property with lots of vegetation and mosquitos, bees and ticks thrive in our yard.

I wore this every day last spring and summer, and I garden and am in the yard multiple times daily from dawn til night. I can't swear that I didn't get one bite, but I can swear I don't remember getting bitten at all.

And, I am very paranoid about mosquitos because our area has confirmed west nile mosquitos and I am a survivor of lyme disease which I got in 2001....And, I have taken my protection from ticks and mosquitos very seriously since then.

I researched last year, and while I cannot remember where the link was, I read a lot of homeopathic websites and this Cutter lemon eucalyptus was touted as a deet replacement. Found it.....ETA CDC confirms lemon eucalyptus oil as effective as DEET : TreeHugger

I also bought bottles for my son's girlfriends children, one of which was a 2 year old....because it works and it is not harmful.

It also smells great. A plus when you wear mosquito repellent like I do all summer long. I also use it on my bulldog.

I buy it at Walmart....But I'm sure that you'll find it in most big box stores, or online. It is not a spray, it is a pump spray, which I prefer and I think it lasts longer because of this ability to apply it directly where you want it. I buy several bottles at once to have on hand. And, I also give them to friends to protect them...as I did with my son's girlfriends little ones.

I still have 3 of the 5 bottles that I bought last year...So it goes a long way. I'd say two bottles would last a family of 3 all summer.

So, I recommend this to you.

here is a link so that you can see the bottle to be able to find it at your store.
Cutter® Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent (Pump Spray) | Cutter
This is the stuff we use as well. It does work good for the kids, and I use it for short trips, but for me, I just use deet, b/c that is about all that kinda works up here for the time I spend outside.

THis year, I am looking at coils.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM

There is a local product here that is called no-see-um soap. Supposedly it helps, but I bought it at the end of bug season when it wasn't that bad. I will find out this year how it works.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:29 PM

339 posts, read 722,887 times
Hey- thanks.

Do generic mosquito nets have small enough spaces in the mesh that they protect from no-see-ums too?

We have used the coils and they seem to work well. Forgot about those..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,095,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
This is the stuff we use as well. It does work good for the kids, and I use it for short trips, but for me, I just use deet, b/c that is about all that kinda works up here for the time I spend outside.

THis year, I am looking at coils.
I never had good luck with coils. I use bug zappers, placed away from where we sit outside...along with the repellent.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 PM

Only problem with bug zapper is the battery goes dead after ten minutes. Our bugs can be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: